Star Wars upheaval? (1 Viewer)

That was the point. Due to his failures, he wasn't the same Luke he was before. It would have been a little odd to start the film with a character not having changed at all in 40 years.
I realize that, but I don't think Luke would trivialize and basically dismiss Rey like that. It's totally out of character for him. Sure people change over time, and sometimes quite a bit, but I felt completely neutering Luke and giving off this don't give a sheet vibe just didn't make a lot of sense. Then a day or short time later he's suddenly willing to train Rey? It was a confusing mishmash of reasons why Luke got to the point he did.

Regardless, the whole movie just didn't fit in the overall saga. It dismisses every story arc in 7 with the exception of Rey, and even that was mangled. This was clearly Rian Johnson trying to make his own mark rather than continuing the story started in 7.

I realize that, but I don't think Luke would trivialize and basically dismiss Rey like that. It's totally out of character for him. Sure people change over time, and sometimes quite a bit, but I felt completely neutering Luke and giving off this don't give a sheet vibe just didn't make a lot of sense. Then a day or short time later he's suddenly willing to train Rey? It was a confusing mishmash of reasons why Luke got to the point he did.

Regardless, the whole movie just didn't fit in the overall saga. It dismisses every story arc in 7 with the exception of Rey, and even that was mangled. This was clearly Rian Johnson trying to make his own mark rather than continuing the story started in 7.
Exactly. They were already doing 70 down the interstate and Rian decided to make a hard right. The only way to prevent them from barrel rolling was to over correct, but the damage was already done. Rian crashed the sequel car.

I was 17. And I guess this is just me, but I don't see all of this bad acting people talk about. I mean, I'm not saying there wasn't any, I just didn't perceive them that way. I mean, I like Attack Of The Clones and I know a lot of people on here don't. I do love the original trilogy. I also saw those first.

Hayden Christiansen was particularly bad. But, to be fair, I guess the other actors were not as bad it's just that they were delivering poorly written lines. Liam Nesson, Sam Jackson, Natalie Portman, and Ewan McGregor are all great actors, but the lines they were given were bad. I guess my biggest issue with all of it was that I never bought the romance between Anakin and Padme. It seemed incredibly forced. In addition, the turn of Anakin was just poorly done and way too sudden a switch from good guy to incredibly evil.

But, sure there are some very good action sequences in between which had I been 17 when I saw them I would probably hold some nostalgia for. I mean, if I'm being honest, I still love the original trilogy, but that's probably more about nostalgia and the fact that Star Wars was my world growing up than the actual quality of the movies.

I wasn't confused at all. He was guilted into it by Chewbacca and R2D2. I remain surprised by how many people just don't get this movie.

Yeah, I think it was less bad acting and more directing and writing than anything else. The story actually did make some sense and there was direction in that the prequels were ultimately the character arc of Vader and how the tragedies he faced losing people he loved and that pain led to his path to the dark side. I always thought it was a compelling story. There certainly were issues in the prequels and and I think some of the content added since then has filled in some of the questions people raised in the movies.

I'm a child of the OG SW, but I always liked the entire series, warts and all. Now that there's been some time since the sequel trilogy, and several series, I'm looking to the future and what's next for SW.

I don't know if they should do another trilogy, like beyond the sequels or do a SW ground up reboot with new characters and apply the technologies available for a next generation SW. Maybe this is the end for SW, idk. I mean, they reboot super heroes all the time. Why not SW? It was done pretty successfully with Star Trek.

I would welcome a reboot of the entire thing and I think they should start at Episode 1 and build to 4, 5, and 6.

I'm all for it. :9:

I think the key would be to throw away all the old conventions like what Vader's suit looked like and just create an entirely new art style and case. I noticed while watching Ahsoka how dated a lot of the art styles and uniforms have become. Most of the Empire uniforms are really German/Nazi influenced but the Rebel uniforms are very 70s inspired with insignia that more or less makes no sense and are literally colored plastic squares and circles. Just keep the story, names of characters, and light sabers. Then change everything else. New Falcon, new fighters, new carriers, etc.

I will give the Prequels credit for better art design, but I think a more ornate style, similar to Lynch's Dune, would be great for the high republic era. They could even lean more into Edo period Japan.

Problem is that if they really rebooted everything, then people would be mad.

I guess my biggest issue with all of it was that I never bought the romance between Anakin and Padme. It seemed incredibly forced. In addition, the turn of Anakin was just poorly done and way too sudden a switch from good guy to incredibly evil.
Clone Wars does fill these blanks in. Or at least the turn to evil, I don't so much remember the romance.

But yea, I get "show, don't tell", but they didn't really do either in the movies

I guess my biggest issue with all of it was that I never bought the romance between Anakin and Padme. It seemed incredibly forced. In addition, the turn of Anakin was just poorly done and way too sudden a switch from good guy to incredibly evil.
I've said this before that was the least convincing romance I've ever seen on screen. Absolutely dreadful, even outside the much mocked sand line, it just misses the mark in every way possible

Also said the turn to evil was equally unconvincing. It should have been an epic greek tragedy but was handled so clumsily instead

"I'm only doing this to save my wife"

"Ok, now go kill all the kindergarteners"

I've said this before that was the least convincing romance I've ever seen on screen. Absolutely dreadful, even outside the much mocked sand line, it just misses the mark in every way possible

Also said the turn to evil was equally unconvincing. It should have been an epic greek tragedy but was handled so clumsily instead

"I'm only doing this to save my wife"

"Ok, now go kill all the kindergarteners"
It's the dark side of the force. It corrupts you. Think of it as someone having a heroin addiction and they need a fix. You'll rob your own family for that fix. Also, I'm joking here, but Anakin used the force love trick on Padme ever since he was a kid. He manifested that relationship.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom