Star Wars upheaval? (1 Viewer)

I really liked Looper and I've heard Knives Out is really good along with the sequel.
Breaking Bad (Fly, 51, Ozymandius), Brick, Brothers Bloom

ep 8 was 70% pretty good and 30% utter crap
Point is the whys of what happened are more complicated than ‘Rian Johnson bad’
Us fans want simple narratives and those are fun recreationally but it’s not really informed discussion (I’m not trying to raise myself above the fray)

Oh, I was also tripping when I saw The Last Jedi. I couldn't wait for the damn movie to end. I was literally saying to myself on several occasions, "just end already!" I should've been blown away. And don't get me started on him making Luke a birch.
Yeah, when Rey gave Luke his saber and he just tossed it aside just flies in the face of everything Luke was before. And it was just a mess from there.

Us fans want simple narratives and those are fun recreationally but it’s not really informed discussion (I’m not trying to raise myself above the fray)
I'm not saying he sucks overall, just that he ruined that trilogy and because of that, I don't want to watch his other stuff. But yeah, Breaking Bad is awesome, Not the greatest show ever, but it's top 10.

As a standalone space fantasy movie, TLJ was fine. But as the 2nd movie in a trilogy, it was a dunce.

I really liked Looper and I've heard Knives Out is really good along with the sequel.
Knives Out and Glass Onion are okay if you've never read any Agatha Christie. If you have, you'll know what's happening pretty much right away. However, the characterizations are good and so are the actors. Knives Out is better than the sequel because the sequel hides too many things from you, which is a big cheat and (for me) a real pet peeve in mystery novels and movies (although, again, if you know your Agatha Christie, you'll know who the killer is right away anyway).

I thought Looper was terrible.

As a standalone space fantasy movie, TLJ was fine. But as the 2nd movie in a trilogy, it was a dunce.
No, I'm sorry, it sucked on every level.

It's not just that he destroyed the character of Luke Skywalker, he also had the ridiculous "slow car chase" in space where the New Order is just out of firing range of the Republic ships (hello, just bring in another ship from hyperspace closer to them, duh), Leia goes "Captain Marvel" in deep space, Laura Dern's entire character, the inexplicable plot point of not telling anyone what they're doing, heading off to Space Vegas, Mon Mothma not being in charge of the Republic fleet, the unbearably bad love interest character for Finn, the other ships being vaporized by the jump to hyperspace, but the ship actually hit in two basically in tact pieces (completely unbelievable) so one of our main characters doesn't die, the incredibly stupid face off with The New Order on the planet near the end, Luke passing on into the galaxy for no apparent reason whatsoever, making Poe an insufferable idiot, killing off Snoke, etc., etc., etc.
Basically, every choice he made was a bad one. The film was 100% bad. If it hadn't had the name Star Wars on it, it wouldn't have lasted two weekends in the theatre and would have been considered one of the major box office flops of that year.

...and yet, somehow, episode 9 managed to be even worse.

It's not just that he destroyed the character of Luke Skywalker, he also had the ridiculous "slow car chase" in space where the New Order is just out of firing range of the Republic ships (hello, just bring in another ship from hyperspace closer to them, duh), Leia goes "Captain Marvel" in deep space, Laura Dern's entire character, the inexplicable plot point of not telling anyone what they're doing, heading off to Space Vegas, Mon Mothma not being in charge of the Republic fleet, the unbearably bad love interest character for Finn, the other ships being vaporized by the jump to hyperspace, but the ship actually hit in two basically in tact pieces (completely unbelievable) so one of our main characters doesn't die, the incredibly stupid face off with The New Order on the planet near the end, Luke passing on into the galaxy for no apparent reason whatsoever, making Poe an insufferable idiot, killing off Snoke, etc., etc., etc.
Basically, every choice he made was a bad one. The film was 100% bad. If it hadn't had the name Star Wars on it, it wouldn't have lasted two weekends in the theatre and would have been considered one of the major box office flops of that year.

One thing I didn't like was the whole Force Manifestation thing. Manifesting something solid from the Force, like the dice, that are physical, only to evaporate.

Yeah, when Rey gave Luke his saber and he just tossed it aside just flies in the face of everything Luke was before. And it was just a mess from there.
That was the point. Due to his failures, he wasn't the same Luke he was before. It would have been a little odd to start the film with a character not having changed at all in 40 years.

And yet film critics rate it very highly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom