Star Wars upheaval? (1 Viewer)

I think that's fair. Rogue One is the first time we saw real grit in the Star Wars universe and they did it well while keeping some of the "fun" of Star Wars. It also had excellent writing and very good acting. And New Hope is a great movie that is a lot of fun to watch, but looking back, the writing isn't great but the acting, outside of Mark Hamil, is good.

But, I do tend to agree that Andor is the most interesting, well written, and well acted of all of them. It lacks some of the "fun" of the Star Wars universe, but I do think it was probably the best SW thing ever done.
There was plenty of grit in 3, RotS. Well maybe not grit, but it was definitely dark. RO is definitely a gritty show, in a good way.

There was plenty of grit in 3, RotS. Well maybe not grit, but it was definitely dark. RO is definitely a gritty show, in a good way.

3 was certainly dark, but I kind of think the bad acting and bad writing made it more campy than anything. I guess, I really more mean complex than gritty. Star Wars has always kind of seen the world as very good or evil/black or white (literally with Vader and Luke). IMO, Andor and RO did a good job of showing the grey areas and that not everything is purely good or purely evil. And the pure good vs. evil thing can work as it did in New Hope, but it's sort of hollow in terms of additional story lines.

They tried to do that to some extent in 7, 8, and 9, but it was pretty poorly executed and held back by disjointed story lines.

Yes, 4-5, in that range for me. I'm a big fan of the prequels probably because of the saber duels. I don't care how choreographed they are, they blow the originals away. The only good one was Luke vs Vader in Return of the Jedi, but that's because of the sheer emotion. I mean, I could beat them based off of the skills depicted. It's also why I LOVE Vader's scene in Rogue One. We finally get to see him fork sheet up properly.

I always think that if I saw the prequels when I was 10 to 15 years younger I would have liked them more. But, I was 28 by then and all I could see was the bad writing, bad acting, and built in marketing of toys and comic relief for kids.

I always think that if I saw the prequels when I was 10 to 15 years younger I would have liked them more. But, I was 28 by then and all I could see was the bad writing, bad acting, and built in marketing of toys and comic relief for kids.
I was 17. And I guess this is just me, but I don't see all of this bad acting people talk about. I mean, I'm not saying there wasn't any, I just didn't perceive them that way. I mean, I like Attack Of The Clones and I know a lot of people on here don't. I do love the original trilogy. I also saw those first.

I was 17. And I guess this is just me, but I don't see all of this bad acting people talk about. I mean, I'm not saying there wasn't any, I just didn't perceive them that way. I mean, I like Attack Of The Clones and I know a lot of people on here don't. I do love the original trilogy. I also saw those first.
Yeah, I think it was less bad acting and more directing and writing than anything else. The story actually did make some sense and there was direction in that the prequels were ultimately the character arc of Vader and how the tragedies he faced losing people he loved and that pain led to his path to the dark side. I always thought it was a compelling story. There certainly were issues in the prequels and and I think some of the content added since then has filled in some of the questions people raised in the movies.

I'm a child of the OG SW, but I always liked the entire series, warts and all. Now that there's been some time since the sequel trilogy, and several series, I'm looking to the future and what's next for SW.

I don't know if they should do another trilogy, like beyond the sequels or do a SW ground up reboot with new characters and apply the technologies available for a next generation SW. Maybe this is the end for SW, idk. I mean, they reboot super heroes all the time. Why not SW? It was done pretty successfully with Star Trek.

No. We’re not re-litigating the poor acting of the prequel trilogy
Yes it is largely a result of bad writing and worse directing
BUT
Ewan McGregor had the same direction/writing as everyone else
Yes Natalie Portman had the worst performance of her career by 12 parsecs , but it was still a bad performance (and still much better than Hayden’s)

If they do another Trilogy, it has to be the Zahn books or I'm out completely. I don't care whether they recast or use deep fake technology for the cast, but bring it.

They could have done that for 7, 8, and 9 instead of rewriting the original movie and following it with two trash heaps, but no. Star Wars fanatics would have been ecstatic. As much money as those three films made despite the overall terrible mess they were, the Zahn trilogy would have doubled that money because they would have good.

If they do another Trilogy, it has to be the Zahn books or I'm out completely. I don't care whether they recast or use deep fake technology for the cast, but bring it.

They could have done that for 7, 8, and 9 instead of rewriting the original movie and following it with two trash heaps, but no. Star Wars fanatics would have been ecstatic. As much money as those three films made despite the overall terrible mess they were, the Zahn trilogy would have doubled that money because they would have good.
Not if they used Rian Johnson, he would've forked it up trying to subvert expectations.

Pixar level CGI with sound a likes based on the Zahn Thrawn trilogy

I don’t care that the books are no longer canon

That’s what I want to see

Are you familiar with his other filmography?
I'm not, but his other filmography only mattered before he made his Star Wars movie. Once he decided to do whatever it was he did, the other stuff doesn't matter. He made a conscious effort to alienate as many Star Wars fans as possible. He doesn't get a pass on that because of ... whatever. As an artist, he should have had the integrity to keep his subversion to himself because once he acted on it, it wasn't about the art, but about him.

I'm not, but his other filmography only mattered before he made his Star Wars movie. Once he decided to do whatever it was he did, the other stuff doesn't matter. He made a conscious effort to alienate as many Star Wars fans as possible. He doesn't get a pass on that because of ... whatever. As an artist, he should have had the integrity to keep his subversion to himself because once he acted on it, it wasn't about the art, but about him.
He literally decided to act like his movie wasn't the 2nd out of a trilogy. Had he did the first one, it probably would've been fine. But instead of following the clearly marked signs towards the 2nd and 3rd movies, he slammed on the brakes, went backwards a few miles, then took an exit out towards the sticks instead of continuing on ahead to the finish line. And all in the name of "subverting expectations." I really don't even want to watch Knives Out or his other movies because of it. I want to subvert HIS expectations. At least if I do watch it, I'm downloading the torrent. He's not getting money from me.

Oh, I was also tripping when I saw The Last Jedi. I couldn't wait for the damn movie to end. I was literally saying to myself on several occasions, "just end already!" I should've been blown away. And don't get me started on him making Luke a birch.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom