Star Wars upheaval? (2 Viewers)

I was hopeful we might have an interesting series through Rey after 7, but the rip-off of the original film was painful:

Equalities:--------------------------------Star Wars------------------------------------The Force Awakens
Innocent hero unaware of heritage-----Luke Skywalker------------------------------Rey
Sensei killed by main villain-------------Obi-Wan Kenobi----------------------------Han Solo
Planet------------------------------------Tatooine-------------------------------------Tatooine
Villain in dark helmet/armor------------Darth Vader----------------------------------Kylo Ren (for no apparent reason)
Evil Empire-------------------------------The Empire----------------------------------The New Order
"Errol Flynn" character-------------------Han Solo------------------------------------Poe Dameron
Sensei replacement----------------------Yoda (episode 5, obviously)----------------Luke Skywalker
Annoying sidekick-----------------------C3P0-----------------------------------------C3P0
Cute sidekick droid----------------------R2D2-----------------------------------------BB8
Devastating weapon---------------------The Deathstar-------------------------------The Starkiller
'Adoptive parent' killed by bad guys----Uncle Owen/Aunt Beru---------------------Saw Geurrero
Both ultimate weapons destroyed by firing shots into venting
Main villain escapes destruction in a small vessel (into the vast vacuum of space, mind you)

I think there are even more, I just can't remember for certain. I've never watched it a second time.
I don't have a problem with 7 ripping off 4. The problem starts with Rian Johnson sheeting all over 7 and doing his own thing. It ruined any chance of the sequels having at being good. I've always loved the prequels, but had they stuck to the plan, the sequel trilogy might've been better.

I think some of the TV series have been fun, especially the early Mandalorian, but honestly as someone who never watched the Clone Wars or Rebels cartoons and did not like the Prequels, a lot of the content in the series kind of seems like fan service for fans of the cartoons. I find them mostly enjoyable, but outside of early Mandalorian, I don't feel much of a connection to any of the characters. That was especially true for Asokah for obvious reasons.

The exception was Andor which I think is the best Star Wars thing since Rogue One which was the best Star Wars thing since Episode IV.
Rogue One is excellent. I remember when they announced it. I was one of the only few that wanted that movie. Everyone else was complaining about it saying "we already know what happens, who cares"

Rogue One is excellent. I remember when they announced it. I was one of the only few that wanted that movie. Everyone else was complaining about it saying "we already know what happens, who cares"
Yep, RO is top 3 SW for me.

The exception was Andor which I think is the best Star Wars thing since Rogue One which was the best Star Wars thing since Episode IV.
To be fair, I think Andor is the best thing Star Wars has ever done. It's by far the most cerebral and intricate writing of anything in the Star Wars catalogue, and features the best character development as well.

To be fair, I think Andor is the best thing Star Wars has ever done. It's by far the most cerebral and intricate writing of anything in the Star Wars catalogue, and features the best character development as well.
Yeah, I really enjoyed Andor.

still haven't seen Andor, it's high on my watch list, hope to get to it soon

Those are all top 5 for me. ANH has to go in there somewhere, although that's more nostalgia than anything else.
Yes, 4-5, in that range for me. I'm a big fan of the prequels probably because of the saber duels. I don't care how choreographed they are, they blow the originals away. The only good one was Luke vs Vader in Return of the Jedi, but that's because of the sheer emotion. I mean, I could beat them based off of the skills depicted. It's also why I LOVE Vader's scene in Rogue One. We finally get to see him fork sheet up properly.

Yes, 4-5, in that range for me. I'm a big fan of the prequels probably because of the saber duels. I don't care how choreographed they are, they blow the originals away. The only good one was Luke vs Vader in Return of the Jedi, but that's because of the sheer emotion. I mean, I could beat them based off of the skills depicted. It's also why I LOVE Vader's scene in Rogue One. We finally get to see him fork sheet up properly.
Yep, that's where I really learned why people were terrified of him. Lol.

Ep 7 was just so corporate driven in an attempt to succeed that it was just a Copy/Paste of Ep 4 with a lot more Product Placement. It was just too obvious that the commercialization and monetization had a higher priority than just telling the story. Ep 8 & 9 should be studied on how not to continue a story. Ep 7-9 was the Disney Exec's attempt to justify the acqusition cost to the shareholders so they can retain their jobs.

All of the expanded universe projects outside of Ep 7-9 had so much more success because the quality of writing, character development and plot were thought out. I am even included Solo (which I enjoyed) in that list. Ep 7-9 are on the Zach Snyder Rebel Moon level of bad.

Don't come at me with your Bad Batch theory. If it turns out the way you think that it will, it is 100% retcon.

I think that's fair. Rogue One is the first time we saw real grit in the Star Wars universe and they did it well while keeping some of the "fun" of Star Wars. It also had excellent writing and very good acting. And New Hope is a great movie that is a lot of fun to watch, but looking back, the writing isn't great but the acting, outside of Mark Hamil, is good.

But, I do tend to agree that Andor is the most interesting, well written, and well acted of all of them. It lacks some of the "fun" of the Star Wars universe, but I do think it was probably the best SW thing ever done.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom