Stevie Ray Vaughan is the G.O.A.T. Change my mind (1 Viewer)

Larry Lalonde is my goat. Anyone that can play along side Les Claypool and not be completely overshadowed is worthy.

Lol. How did I know you would chime in with this? As a drummer, I typically focus most of my attention on Herb when I see them. However, I found myself on Ler's side of the stage once and couldn't focus on anything else but his playing. We went up about 400 notches in my book.

As many have alluded to, GOAT on any musician, regardless of instrument, is impossible to designate. Way too many variances and nuances.

This thread turned into a "name as many guitarists as you can" thread haha. Tons of great guitarists.....very few that changed the way the instrument is played.

Baden Powell de Aquino is almost always left off the greatest guitarists lists, but probably shouldn't be. I don't think these lists usually have much in the way of Latin or Bossa Nova musicians.

Larry Lalonde is my goat. Anyone that can play along side Les Claypool and not be completely overshadowed is worthy.

Les Claypool is a freak of nature, I think he is about the only guy that could give Flea a run for his money. You know Les tried out for Metallica, and they were like ahhhh. I don't think so. I have a lot of respect for Les as a musician, but his music is a little strange for my taste.

Can you post a single clip of Kurt Cobain just absolutely slaying it on guitar?

Did you miss the part that he is listed in the top 100 of BEST GUITARIST voted by music professionals?

I will let Kurt Cobain answer it, maybe that will help you.

I will never bother you
I will never promise to
I will never follow you
I will never bother you
Never say a word again
I will crawl away for good
I will move away from here
You won't be afraid of fear
No thought was put into this
I always knew it would come to this
Things have never been so swell
And I have never failed to fail
Pain
Pain
Pain
You know you're right
You know you're right
You know you're right

----------------------------------------------------
That's probably the best way to end an argument. You know you're right! Genius!

Last edited:
Can you post a single clip of Kurt Cobain just absolutely slaying it on guitar?

Come on man he was too depressed to slay!

Are you picking on poor Kurt.

It is not cool to pick on sick people.

If he got help and cured his depression you would have seen him slay I swear.

Les Claypool is a freak of nature, I think he is about the only guy that could give Flea a run for his money. You know Les tried out for Metallica, and they were like ahhhh. I don't think so. I have a lot of respect for Les as a musician, but his music is a little strange for my taste.

I think Flea is pretty talented but he isn't anywhere nearly as creative as Les....you should definitely see Primus in concert if you want to see how good Les really is...i know their music isn't for everyone but the shows are quite the spectacle

I think Flea is pretty talented but he isn't anywhere nearly as creative as Les....you should definitely see Primus in concert if you want to see how good Les really is...i know their music isn't for everyone but the shows are quite the spectacle

My days of rocking out are behind me. I went to a Lagwagon show a few years back and I don't feel like I belong. Primus has a few songs I like, they are definitely creative. Glad you got to see them!

I am just gonna leave this here.

Two masters playing another master

I bought that CD shortly after it came out, it is absolutely brilliant, with the Dregs ex fiddle player Mark O'Conner playing on some of it....

SRV is my favorite modern-era blues guitarist, followed closely by Robert Cray and (gasp) John Mayer. BB, Albert, Buddy, et al are from a different time.

Many great axemen listed in this thread, and many more not listed. My vote for all-time best goes to Pat Metheny.

BTW, where are the wimmins? No mention of Shawn Colvin, Patty Larkin, Susan Tedeschi, fo' shame.

GOAT guitarist is like GOAT ice cream; too many flavors and nuances of flavors. At least there's someone for everyone.

Love Pat Methany, he is one of my favorite players and a mindboggling brilliant composer....he went to Miami to study music and one of his classmates was Steve Morse, he said in an interview after seeing Morse play he felt like he was going to have a heart attack....Jaco Pastorius was also in that music school...can you imagine? My god....

I never cared for Clapton. I never got it.

Jimi was a great.

Eddie is my guitar god.

I would argue that no one ever influenced more guitar players than EVH.

For good and bad.

No offense but this is patently false. I won't deny EVH is a great player but most influential? Not by a long shot...Clapton, Hendrix, Page, Gilmore, Alex Lifeson....all way more influential....Here is the thing all of those guys above, the bands they were in, their music has overcome the test of time....I really don't think Van Halen's music has as big an impact as any of those other bands....may not be your favorites but they were the more influential than EVH....

Maybe you're not.

It's subjective.

I would say that most wannabe guitar players that heard EVH tried to imitate him.

All of the Hair Band's guitarists were trying to play his solos in the eighties.

Page was incredible. So was Hendrix. Stevie Ray (his influence was Hendrix) also.

But EVH was a Mozart that people tried to copy (and usually failed).

You do know that EVH wasn't the first to do the tapping technique, right? He did make it mainstream for sure. Most interviews I've seen he goes back and forth on major influences, with Clapton and the guy that developed the technique...Allan Holdsworth, who technically was superior and was more dynamic than EVH...so are Steve Morse, Paco de Lucia and a whole lot of bluegrass players...I'm not saying they are better, that is subjective, but they were capable of more on the guitar...

I think this is pointless because they both wish they were Tony Levin.

Tony Levin is hands down the best bass player I have ever seen. It is not even close. I have seen Les in many different groups he is great. Oysterhead was pretty forking amazing. Was not close to Levin with king crimson.

The first time I saw flea was at Jimmy's and saw him many times. Fun yes I never thought the greats ever.

That 80s version of king crimson by far my fav.

It was physically exhausting to try and keep up with what was going on on stage.

OMG bill bruford and Tony levin on the same stage was a dream. Belew and fripp what more can you say.

In fact the second time I saw them I stayed sober so I could pay better attention.

I think this is pointless because they both wish they were Tony Levin.

Tony Levin is hands down the best bass player I have ever seen. It is not even close. I have seen Les in many different groups he is great. Oysterhead was pretty forking amazing. Was not close to Levin with king crimson.

The first time I saw flea was at Jimmy's and saw him many times. Fun yes I never thought the greats ever.

That 80s version of king crimson by far my fav.

It was physically exhausting to try and keep up with what was going on on stage.

OMG bill bruford and Tony levin on the same stage was a dream. Belew and fripp what more can you say.

In fact the second time I saw them I stayed sober so I could pay better attention.

Tony Levin is great, but Jaco Pastorious, John Entwistle, Chris Squire, Dave LaRue and Geddy Lee are all great as well.....

You didn't answer my question, but that's o.k.. Many metal fans are still sore, because Nirvana put an end to the heavy metal dominance in the 90's.

Not really. What Nirvana did was kill 80s hair metal., bands like Poison, Motley Crue, etc. Not the harder core "pure" metal like Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Pantera, etc.

Metal has always been somewhat of a niche. I remember a brief period in the early 90s, where Metallica was popular enough to get into the mianstream consciousness and heard one of their songs on the radio, but beyond that it was never really popular.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom