The Horror Thread (3 Viewers)

So I watched Hereditary recently... and It wasn't scary at all. Like the last 20 minutes were intense, but that's it. The whole movie waiting to be scared just to be like... oh that was a bad arse decapitation... but that's it. No scares.

So I watched Hereditary recently... and It wasn't scary at all. Like the last 20 minutes were intense, but that's it. The whole movie waiting to be scared just to be like... oh that was a bad arse decapitation... but that's it. No scares.
It’s a very non-traditional film in that sense, but the performances are what ultimately made me love it. And I just think the entire atmosphere of the film was so bleak. I couldn’t shake it for a week.

There are two movies I would recommend to anyone that enjoys Hereditary...

I absolutely loved Pyewacket. It's one of a few movies that I will watch repeatedly. Bleak, dark, moody and a totally unhinged final act.

The Lodge is a similar atmospheric horror that feels plodding at times, but is actually just slowly sinking its hooks in until an absolutely devastating climax.

I'm not a fan of waiting until the end of the movie before it gets good. I need some good moments sprinkled throughout and then have the big ending. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood sucked because of that. The ending was good, but I'm not sitting through 2 hours of boring just to get a good 10 minute ending or however long it was.

I'm not a fan of waiting until the end of the movie before it gets good. I need some good moments sprinkled throughout and then have the big ending. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood sucked because of that. The ending was good, but I'm not sitting through 2 hours of boring just to get a good 10 minute ending or however long it was.
If you have Shudder, you should check out a movie called Terrified. It’s an Argentinian movie, but it’s pretty much non-stop craziness. The plot is decent enough, but totally takes a backseat to relentless brutality.

My daughter and I watched the original Exorcist the other day because she wanted to see the new movie. Of course, I've seen the original many times and it still scares me. She had never seen it before and enjoyed it. We went to watch the new movie yesterday. Spoiler thoughts below (in case anyone is planning to watch it and hasn't already).

• Had this been a regular exorcism movie not tied to the original, it would have been fine.
  • I wish it had gone like this if they just absolutely had to tie it to the original - they should have called it "Believer" and marketed it as an exorcism movie, but never mentioned that Ellen Burstyn would appear. They could have had the scene where the girl was scratching the name "Regan" into the wood and blown everyone's mind when they realized this movie was tied to the original.
  • The writers really wanted me to believe that Chris MacNeil thought she was bad arse enough to go into the bedroom with the girl and she was just going to kick the demon out? Come the fork on.
  • There had to have been a TON of stuff that was cut out of this movie, especially in the beginning. It seemed chopped all to hell.
  • I was glad to see Linda Blair for five seconds at the end, but if you're making a direct sequel to the original, the story should have been about her and her child. Her and Burstyn are the big names for this franchise.
  • I know they were planning on a trilogy, so I sure hope they get new writers and a new director and figure this out.

Listening to a Halloween playlist on Amazon and look what came on. I love that show. :)

IMG_5198.jpeg

• 1Like
Reactions: cpg
I liked hereditary. The slow burn to the end was kind of the point.
I mean, I guess that's a thing.

I just don't want to sit bored to death watching a movie for 2 hours, just for 20 minutes of excitement at the end.

Heck, I watched the "remake" sequel of the Blair Witch and was anxiety ridden the whole show.

Speaking of slow burns, I'm watching Midnight Mass on Netflix. Same director/writer as House of Usher, which was great. This thing is just slooow. I've finished three episodes and just not much happening except one death by unknown monster (that apparently goes unnoticed in a town of like 100 people) and a TON of plodding, seemingly pointless, dialogue and preaching.

Is this worth continuing? If it's just a 10-15 minutes of payoff after watching 7 hours of show, I may be out.

Speaking of slow burns, I'm watching Midnight Mass on Netflix. Same director/writer as House of Usher, which was great. This thing is just slooow. I've finished three episodes and just not much happening except one death by unknown monster (that apparently goes unnoticed in a town of like 100 people) and a TON of plodding, seemingly pointless, dialogue and preaching.

Is this worth continuing? If it's just a 10-15 minutes of payoff after watching 7 hours of show, I may be out.
I hear ya….it does pick up, eventually. I did dig it once the whole thing was done. Have you tried watching Hill House?! That’s another good one. I’m going to start House of Usher tonight. Glad you liked that one.

It’s hard for me to recall exactly where you are in the story because it’s been a couple of years. I think you will be rewarded for sticking with it. Out of all of Mike Flanagan’s projects that one always felt the most like his baby. If I am remembering correctly I think he wrote every episode himself also and was entirely his concept as opposed to an adaptation. I absolutely do remember it being a bit wordy though. It’s my personal favorite of his works, but that means next to nothing. 😂

I would add that you might consider skipping Haunting of Bly Manor (another of Flanagan’s limited series) because that one was excruciatingly slow.

Demian Rugna is one deeply twisted dude. When Evil Lurks is the sophomore effort from the Argentinian writer and director, and the follow-up to his stellar debut Terrified. It is genuinely one of the most haunting and disturbing films I've seen. Full stop. I will have scenes from this one stuck in my craw for a good while. This brutal endurance test doesn't spare anyone – not children, not the elderly, not animals, not mentally challenged. There is no respite, just heaps upon heaps of dread and discomfort for almost the entirety of the 90-minute runtime.

I'm not even going to attempt to summarize the plot or comment on the performances, it's all very excellently done. But holy crap is it intense. I absolutely loved it and hated it all at the same time. It's simultaneously my favorite film of the year and one I never want to watch again. Perhaps even more shocking is that it has received universal acclaim and sits at a cool 99% on Rotten Tomatoes, which I think speaks to how expertly crafted it is despite the extreme graphic imagery.

If you want to test your gag reflex, give the first 30 minutes of this one a shot. But consider this a fair warning that absolutely nothing is sacred. And I'm pretty sure that is exactly Rugna's point.

Currently streaming on Shudder.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom