The Investment Thread (6 Viewers)

Ford the previous few days and now Disney….up up and away. :)

Did my 1099 form. More than 80 trades. Netted 26 bucks in 2023!
Damn I feel like Warren Buffett. I made $800 last year. Pretty much on two good trades that undid some other not-as-good trades :hihi:

I have left so much on the table in the last 12 months by taking profits. It has gotten really frustrating. I had SQ at just under $10 and sold it in the mid $12's for a nice 25% profit, right? Just a few months later, it's trading over $22.

I had NVDA calls that I sold for just under double - taking a nice profit. Two days later I could have sold them for almost three times as much.

Like I said earlier, I almost sold my AMZN over $700 for what would have been a nice profit. But someone talked me out of it and I'm sure glad they did. Trading is hard. Yes, profits are always a good thing and timing the market is a losing proposition.

But I think you also have to have a strategy for each position - and stick with it. If your strategy is always to take profits at a certain level, then fine. But if you're in the position because you think the company is valuable and there's no reason to sell other than to take a profit, maybe it bears staying in it. If you see other sell indicators, that's a different story.

I liked Square's business and I bought the stock because I think that the technology is enabling small retailers and service providers in a remarkable way. This concept was accurate and the company's earnings are showing it. There was no real reason for me to sell other than to take a profit - but then what? Find another name and look for another small profit? SQ was the right call to start with, so why not just stay in it? Lesson learned.

If anything, AMZN continues to look like the cream of the crop in a transitioning economy. Apart from broader market moves, there's nothing in AMZN's structure or performance to justify selling. It's likely to continue to show alpha.

This is part of the refining of discipline that it takes to be a securities investor. It's a life-long pursuit with many mistakes along the way.
For fun I searched NVDA in this thread. This is the first comment that mentioned the ticker

Edit: date was in 2017 BTW

For fun I searched NVDA in this thread. This is the first comment that mentioned the ticker

Edit: date was in 2017 BTW

I know that Ward has been in NVDA for some time now, I hope he's been holding.

I have some NVDA in managed accounts that I have, I think I have been in a "digital strategy" account for years now that includes the big tech names including NVDA. The returns have out performed for most of that time and are obviously crushing right now.

I stopped doing my own account a few years ago. I just sucked at it, no matter how much I tried to inform myself about a stock or sector or trends, I typically made poor choices and threw in the towel in favor of professionals.

I have some NVDA in managed accounts that I have, I think I have been in a "digital strategy" account for years now that includes the big tech names including NVDA. The returns have out performed for most of that time and are obviously crushing right now.

I stopped doing my own account a few years ago. I just sucked at it, no matter how much I tried to inform myself about a stock or sector or trends, I typically made poor choices and threw in the towel in favor of professionals.
Who did you choose to handle your account? My ability to manage my roth ira is abysmal.

Who did you choose to handle your account? My ability to manage my roth ira is abysmal.
And yet in the not too distant past there was a movement to privatize social security and dump it into the markets. What could possibly go wrong??

I still have 50 shares of NVDIA from waaay back.

So i think i may have posted here last year or more. I had my guy at Ed Jones for over a decade. He was brilliant. We spoke 2-3x a month - he enjoyed that i was just as into the market as he was.

Late 2022 (iirc -shoot it may have been 2021 ) , he left EJ. I was "assigned" a new guy. Young guy. We spoke on the phone when he called to introduce himself. I didnt set any expectations - or should i say "communicated my expectations" as i figured he kinda knew who he was following.

My account went a FULL YEAR- where i didnt hear from him ONCE. Not ONCE. My contributions were sitting in "cash" in a money market account getting 3%.

I kept waiting to hear from him. Waiting. Finally November 17 2023 i made an appointment to go meet with him.

I was a bit curt and basically explained to him that what he was providing me simply wasnt enough. He apologized, understood and vowed to get right.

Since that meeting, Nov 17, i have had a 23% return on my entire portfolio. TWENTY THREE. In just 4 months time.

You pay these guys to manage your money. You have every right to expect them to do their job well. If you dont feel connection with your current FA, interview others. Take the time to find that one that you connect with, has same enthusiasm about it etc. They are out there, just gotta find.

I was totally ready to transfer my entire portfolio to another prior to our meeting. But he was genuinely apologetic about lack of communication and damn if that didnt work out great for both of us ( obviously his pay increases as my portfolio increases - which im fine with IF he earning it )

Try meeting up with a FA and let him know where you stand and how you feel and expectation- he will either say yes or no. Move on to another if no.

It becomes too much to handle on your own if you arent immersed daily in the news, the rumors and the happenings.

I havent been on this thread much over the last year or so due to insurance market in SELA has taken up almost all of my time to keep track of market. I hope to get back here soon, because we had some fun sharing ideas and stock picks.

I still have 50 shares of NVDIA from waaay back.

So i think i may have posted here last year or more. I had my guy at Ed Jones for over a decade. He was brilliant. We spoke 2-3x a month - he enjoyed that i was just as into the market as he was.

Late 2022 (iirc -shoot it may have been 2021 ) , he left EJ. I was "assigned" a new guy. Young guy. We spoke on the phone when he called to introduce himself. I didnt set any expectations - or should i say "communicated my expectations" as i figured he kinda knew who he was following.

My account went a FULL YEAR- where i didnt hear from him ONCE. Not ONCE. My contributions were sitting in "cash" in a money market account getting 3%.

I kept waiting to hear from him. Waiting. Finally November 17 2023 i made an appointment to go meet with him.

I was a bit curt and basically explained to him that what he was providing me simply wasnt enough. He apologized, understood and vowed to get right.

Since that meeting, Nov 17, i have had a 23% return on my entire portfolio. TWENTY THREE. In just 4 months time.

You pay these guys to manage your money. You have every right to expect them to do their job well. If you dont feel connection with your current FA, interview others. Take the time to find that one that you connect with, has same enthusiasm about it etc. They are out there, just gotta find.

I was totally ready to transfer my entire portfolio to another prior to our meeting. But he was genuinely apologetic about lack of communication and damn if that didnt work out great for both of us ( obviously his pay increases as my portfolio increases - which im fine with IF he earning it )

Try meeting up with a FA and let him know where you stand and how you feel and expectation- he will either say yes or no. Move on to another if no.

It becomes too much to handle on your own if you arent immersed daily in the news, the rumors and the happenings.

I havent been on this thread much over the last year or so due to insurance market in SELA has taken up almost all of my time to keep track of market. I hope to get back here soon, because we had some fun sharing ideas and stock picks.
And keep in mind, FAs, even the best ones, can get it wrong from time to time. But usually, the ones who do their homework and make sure clients have realistic expectations, are usually the ones who do well.

I worked as an FA for a couple of years and loved it. But life had other plans for me. If I could get back into the business, I would, but the timing and circumstances haven't been quite right to get back into it.

I have a decent enough job and a good situation where I'm working from home 4 days a week. I just wish the pay were a bit better.i should be making about 50% more than what I am now, if not more, but got on my current career path pretty late.

But you're absolutely right, having a good FA makes a big difference.

The restaurants Cava and Portillo’s just published their annual reports within a day of each other. I’m not terribly good at interpreting financial results… but it’s crazy how different the market values them. Both emerging chains.

Annual revenue:
Cava: $717 million
Portillo’s: $680 million

Net income
Cava: $13.2 million
Portillo’s: $24.8 million

Store numbers
Cava: 309
Portillo’s: 84

Total assets:
Cava: $983 million
Portillo’s: $1.38 billion

Debt:
Cava: $342 million
Portillo’s: $300 million

Market capitalization:
Cava: $6.46 billion
Portillo’s: $1.12 billion

The restaurants Cava and Portillo’s just published their annual reports within a day of each other. I’m not terribly good at interpreting financial results… but it’s crazy how different the market values them. Both emerging chains.

Annual revenue:
Cava: $717 million
Portillo’s: $680 million

Net income
Cava: $13.2 million
Portillo’s: $24.8 million

Store numbers
Cava: 309
Portillo’s: 84

Total assets:
Cava: $983 million
Portillo’s: $1.38 billion

Debt:
Cava: $342 million
Portillo’s: $300 million

Market capitalization:
Cava: $6.46 billion
Portillo’s: $1.12 billion

Yeah, that's pretty interesting. Portillo's seems the better value by a significant margin. I just read their plan is for 920 stores over 20 years - that's a lot of planned growth. Cava is adding about 50 stores a year so the rate is reasonable, but Portillo's looks more appealing on a per unit basis. But your chart doesn't show margin/profit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom