The Pete Carmichael Problem (2 Viewers)

I don't think I realized that these plays were on the opening drive, my brain clearly tried hard to forget. If that's the case, then the thing that scares me about these two plays in particular is that they were on a scripted drive. Which means that everyone in the final game planning session on Saturday night signed off on adding these asinine plays into the script. This wasn't Pete trying to be clever in a bubble, this was the whole staff + DC (if we are to believe he's a part of that meeting like DB was) thinking that these were good designs.

I’m glad the video is about the double reverse, I’m not investing any energy in defending that.

Piggybacking off my 10 guy idea here. It can be done, you gotta make it Hella obvious it's 10 guys tho...on the play before have a guy...a high profile guy (Kamara or Olave...even better the RT: Ram) obviously hobble off field faking an injury then run no huddle with the missing guy obviously on the sidelines. The D will see this point around like a bunch of madmen that there's only 10 guys (especially a missing lineman) then in the midst of the chaos...ballsnap D off guard...easy touchdown

What's Pete's email address?

Piggybacking off my 10 guy idea here. It can be done, you gotta make it Hella obvious it's 10 guys tho...on the play before have a guy...a high profile guy (Kamara or Olave...even better the RT: Ram) obviously hobble off field faking an injury then run no huddle with the missing guy obviously on the sidelines. The D will see this point around like a bunch of madmen that there's only 10 guys (especially a missing lineman) then in the midst of the chaos...ballsnap D off guard...easy touchdown

IdrawPlayZ@NeworleansSaintsfootball.net

I’m too fuzzy on the circumstances now, but Payton called some WTH play on a critical third down that got blown up by the defense. Either ended up being a turnover or took us out of scoring position or something that spelled our demise in a close game. Somebody will fill in the details.

(And that probably happened more than any of us want to remember.)

There’s no point to that - just something that flashed in my mind thinking about bad play calls.
Absolutely. There was a stretch there where Payton’s OL was weak. Always pushed back off the line. Always a struggle with short yardage or just picking up a yard.

He gave up and often called this gadget junk. There was one I remember at key moment in the game on a 3rd and 1 he called sone janky slow developing TE reverse to Josh Hill that got blown up…

Several of the "this guy is open" slides show an open guy, well short of the first down marker on a 3rd down play.

Oh, so Sack then? Cool.

Or Triple covered?

Relooking at the slides. your point is null, the guys were wide open with one man to beat for a first, instead of a bomb that was way off target... or a sack... So we can all dump on Carmichael all we want, but Carr should take most of the blame for this game. It was very very bad watching him stare down receivers and hold the ball.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom