Food The Recipe Thread [tm--CajunCook] (1 Viewer)

I have some crawfish that I am not 100% they are frozen in some wierd brown sauce as far as I can tell. Does anyone have a suggestion on a good way to cook them for a first timer. I have seen a lot of recipes but I think they are over my head. I figured I would want to try something foolproof

So today my oldest boy Gabriel (12) announced that he wanted to make his special shrimp sauce for spaghetti this evening. Ah, joy...I love to encourage his "inner cook", so I went and got about a pound of medium shrimp (raw, 41-60 ct) and peeled them so we'd have them ready.

When it was time to cook, he broke out his recipe that he had written down, and I stood back and let him create. It's a very simple recipe, and very good. I'm so proud. So I'll copy his recipe (my notes in parentheses) as he wrote it and share...

Creole Shrimp Sauce a-la Gabriel (for spaghetti)

3 (8-oz) cans of tomato sauce
1 1/2 cans of water (I had made stock with the shells, but I was too late to stop him)
wooster [sic] sauce (he put a capful)
stake [sic] sauce (he put a capful of A-1 in it)
onion powder (shake some in)
garlic powder(shake some in, being careful not to shake too much like what happened with the onion powder)
Chinese five spice (a pinch)
instant roux (Tony's...shake some in)
black pepper (shake some in)
salt (shake some in)
hoarse [sic] radish (a half-a-half-a-spoonful)
(Jic) [sic] brown gravy (Tony's instant gravy mix, I think the Jic means "just in case" it's not thick enough yet)
olive oil (a few drops, he put maybe 1/4 tsp?)
creole (here he refers to Zatarains creole seasoning...shake some in)
2 bay leaves
Maggi seasoning (a few drops)
paprika
fresh chopped green onions (I had just chopped some, so he added them)

(Mix those ingredients in a saucepan or deep skillet over medium heat, in that order, and bring to a good simmer. Let some of the moisture cook out, and add the shrimp. If you add the shrimp before it is thick enough, use the "cornstarch and water" trick to thicken it some more, or add more instant roux/gravy mix. Cook until the shrimp are done, but don't overcook the shrimp. Serve over thin spaghetti. Top with chopped green onions.)

I thought it was really good. As we cook more-and-more together, I'm bringing him to appreciate the addition of such things as diced vegetables, herbs, etc. But tonight was his night. I let him do his thing, and merely assisted. He's got the right idea...

Last edited:
I believe it was 6" tortillas and we got 10 enchiladas out of it.

We lay them seam side down in a disposable baking dish(you can use a regular one if you like) almost touching one another. Then poor the remaining filling over the top....mmmmm

The original recipe had everything doubled, but there are only 3 in our family, so no need to make a ton.

Oh, also used leftover boiled crawfish this time. You could tell a difference...so if you have some leftover from a boil,......it makes it that much better. And I think we probably only used a pound to a pound and 1/2 and had plenty crawfish in there.

I would like to cook something simple but very New Orleans style here in the UK! Please give your suggestions and receipes.....
While in the UK I made Red Beans for some people. It is impossible to find the proper smoked meats over there so I used a "bacon Joint". Wasn't bad. Whatever you do, do not use any pre-mixed cajun seasoning, even the Paul Prudhomme version, as it's "mix" is specific to the UK and has loads of curry type seasonings in it. Just buy all the ingredients and make your own mix. By "simple" do you mean food wise or technique? Fish meniere is simple but requires a little skill...
I would say, being in the UK limits your ingrediant choice, but you have access to all aspects for gumbo except a smoked meat.

I believe it was 6" tortillas and we got 10 enchiladas out of it.

We lay them seam side down in a disposable baking dish(you can use a regular one if you like) almost touching one another. Then poor the remaining filling over the top....mmmmm

The original recipe had everything doubled, but there are only 3 in our family, so no need to make a ton.

Hya-WOKKA!!! I made it yesterday...scrump-del-i-ICIOUS!!! I peeled enough leftover crawfish to wind up with two cups of tails. That was probably plenty.

But I cut the butter to 1/2 cup (divided)

I only used one cup of whipping cream (divided)

I cut the cheese :)sulkoff:) to 8 oz, that was plenty.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have cut the cream cheese in half, too. Man, that dish was RICH!!! :0056:

Oh, and my package of "ten flour tortillas" only had NINE!!! :rant:

Anyway, good recipe, although it was a LOT of work. The people I feed RAVED over it, and there's leftovers for tonight, and they want to eat the leftovers...goody! I've got to go to work at 11pm...I do not feel like cooking! :Thud:

Thanks again, SaintShane!!! :9:

{Excuse me while I go and raise my grandmothers from the dead, just to slap them down...:hearthrob: }

Last edited:
Hya-WOKKA!!! I made it yesterday...scrump-del-i-ICIOUS!!! I peeled enough leftover crawfish to wind up with two cups of tails. That was probably plenty.

But I cut the butter to 1/2 cup (divided)

I only used one cup of whipping cream (divided)

I cut the cheese :)sulkoff:) to 8 oz, that was plenty.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have cut the cream cheese in half, too. Man, that dish was RICH!!! :0056:

Oh, and my package of "ten flour tortillas" only had NINE!!! :rant:

Anyway, good recipe, although it was a LOT of work. The people I feed RAVED over it, and there's leftovers for tonight, and they want to eat the leftovers...goody! I've got to go to work at 11pm...I do not feel like cooking! :Thud:

Thanks again, SaintShane!!! :9:

{Excuse me while I go and raise my grandmothers from the dead, just to slap them down...:hearthrob: }

Glad you liked it. I have to give the props to my wife though....I was very skeptical about this dish and we've done it twice and loved it. You're right about it being rich.....but I love it. That's the great thing about recipes too.....you don't have to follow them exactly and you can play around with them to your taste.

Here's something I did one time when coming up with a last-minute side-dish, and the crowd raved over it. This is one of those dishes that can make a non-cook taste like a gourmet. I'm making it again tonight.

1 can (15 oz) of Le Sueur "very young, small early peas"

About a tbs. of butter

A splash of white wine

About 1/2 to 1 capful (adjust to taste) of Herbsaint (thanks again, buzd, for reminding me), and/or anise seed (I use both, but just a pinch...the Herbsaint and the anise will overpower the dish if you're not careful)

Some rosemary ( a sprinkle or two)

Allspice and/or Chinese five-spice seasoning

Mojo seasoning (if you don't have you some of this, get it and keep it next to the "Tony's")

White pepper if you're going to pepper it, and green hot sauce if you're going to hot sauce it.

Throw all of that into a pot and let it come to a simmer, then put it on low until you're ready to serve it.

Those ingredients I listed seem to just bring out the natural flavors of green peas...I've played around with nutmeg and ground cloves (BE CAREFUL!) too.

Anyway, since my sister is not here, I put a 1/2 a can of sliced mushrooms, too. Mushrooms go well with peas. Another variation would be to use 2 cans of peas, and add a can of Rotel. That has worked in the past, also.

Then there's always making it a real production, like adding asparagus or artichoke hearts, and cheese, and such...anything that goes really well with green peas. Heck, substitute cream of mushroom soup along with the cheese and cook it in the oven like a casserole after mixing the rest in a pot...but the point it's supposed to be quick and simple...:hihi:

Last edited:
Now that I look at it...probably the same thing could be accomplished by dumping a can of peas in a pot and throwing a licorice stick in it...but that would not be nearly as much fun...;)

Umm...I made this tonight, out of left-over crawfish and fresh (frozen?) Gulf shirmp:

SHRIMP AND CRAWFISH AU GRATIN {serves 4}:

4 T butter
3 T minced onion
1 T garlic
1/2 lb (1 cup) diced leftover crawfish tails (peeled with fat of course)
1 cup peeled shrimp (raw, yet seasoned)
1 cup White Sauce *
1 tsp chopped parsley
1 cup (divided) grated cheddar cheese
bread crumbs

Saute onions & garlic in butter until soft. Add shrimp and crawfish (and those seasonings for the shrimp, you know). Cook until shrimp are pink. Add white sauce* and parsley. Mix well. Cook 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/2 cup of cheese. Pour into greased baking dish (I used a 2-qt, but a smaller one, like even a 1 qt, will work). Sprinkle with remaining cheese, then with bread crumbs. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.

variations

Use crabmeat instead of crawfish for shrimp-and-crab au gratin

Whatever seafood you want to use, it winds up being 2 cups...= 1 lb, for either shrimp, crab meat, or crawfish au gratin, or any combination of said seafood. I used shrimp and crawfish, and chopped up the crawfish so it behaved more like crab in the dish, and left the shrimp whole. But it can be played with...like, if I only had shrimp, I would have used 2 cups of them, and chopped one cup of them up just to get that "consistency" , and vice-versa if all I would have had was crawfish. Make sense?

--------

*White sauce recipe:

2 T butter
2 T flour
1 cup milk

Melt butter in saucepan. Add flour. Mix thoroughly. Cook over low heat until bubbly. Stir in milk. Bring to a boil. Cook 1-2 minutes. Makes one cup of white sauce.

--------------

But anyway, this turned out REALLY good, and probably the most tedious part was peeling the crawfish...that, and figuring out "cups" and "lbs" of the seafood ingredients...I just went with the old stand-by of "a cup of peeled tails = 1/2 lb"...that worked. Plus you know I herbed-and-spiced it without saying...one hint I'll give...a cap-ful of Zatarains liquid boil on the shrimp, and a little white wine in there with the butter and onions, but heck I figure y'all all can cook...;)

Last edited:
Hello all .. I just followed this recipe from allrecipes.com .. blackened catfish ...

"Cajun catfish served up with just the right touch of spices and flavor. This entree is perfect for a quick, excellent way to taste the unique flavor of catfish mixed with the traditional method of down south cooking, just without all the fat. Serve on top of white rice."
Barlow's Blackened Catfish Recipe
RECIPE RATING:
This recipe has been rated 269 times with an average star rating of 4.4
Read Reviews (223)
Review/Rate This Recipe
PREP TIME 10 Min
COOK TIME 40 Min
READY IN 50 Min
SERVINGS
(Help)

Servings

US METRIC
INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

* 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
* 2 teaspoons lemon pepper
* 2 teaspoons garlic powder
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 2 teaspoons pepper
* 1 pound catfish fillets
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 1 cup Italian-style salad dressing

* add to recipe box Add to Recipe Box
My folders:
* add to shopping list Add to Shopping List
* Customize Recipe
* add a personal note Add a Personal Note

What to Drink?
Wine Chardonnay
Cocktail Classic Whiskey Sour
Chilled Non-Alcoholic Boston Iced Tea
DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium baking dish.
2. In a shallow, medium bowl, mix cayenne pepper, lemon pepper, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
3. Brush both sides of catfish fillets with butter. Rub fillets with the cayenne pepper mixture on both sides.
4. Heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat until really hot. Add fillets, and fry approximately 2 minutes on each side, until slightly blackened.
5. Arrange blackened fillets in a single layer in the prepared baking dish, and coat with Italian-style salad dressing. Bake 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until fish is easily flaked with a fork.

Catch em' and cook em .... enjoy .. I just followed this puppy and it was excellent!! Wild rice and steamed carrots with snow peas..... white wine

Thank God for beautiful recipes and good wine...

Just found a recipe for Buffalo Wild wings sauce. Pretty good stuff. I made the hot. You can substitute Crystal for the Franks as it is near identical.

Wings
20 chicken wing pieces
6 1/2 Cups vegetable shortening

On the SideCelery sticks

Spicy Garlic Wing Sauce
1 Cup Frank’s cayenne pepper sauce
1/3 Cup vegetable oil
1 Teaspoon granulated sugar
1 Teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon course ground black pepper
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 egg yolk
2 water
2 Teaspoons cornstarch

Medium Wing Sauce
1 Cup Franks cayenne pepper sauce
1/3 Cup vegetable oil
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 Teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
1 egg yolk
2 Teaspoons water
2 Teaspoons cornstarch

Hot Wing Sauce
1 Cup Franks cayenne pepper sauce
1/3 Cup vegetable oil
1 ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 Teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
1 egg yolk
2 Teaspoons water
2 Teaspoons cornstarch

THE WINGS
Buffalo Chicken Wings

Heat shortening in your fryer to 350 degrees F.
Fry wings for 10-12 minutes, or until light brown. Remove wings and drain on a rack or paper towels breifly.
After draining wings place wings in a plastic container with a lid. Add 1/4-1/3 cup of your sauce of choice to the container. Replace lid and shake well to coat wings.
Pour wings out onto a plate and add celery on the side, plus ranch or bleu cheese dressing for dipping.

Serves 2 to 4 as an appetizer.

THE SAUCES (3)
Combine first seven ingredients for the sauce your choice in a small saucepan. Heat sauce over medium heat until boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow it to cool, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
While the sauce cools, whisk egg yolk with 2 teaspoons water in a medium bowl until pale yellow. Whisk in cornstarch until dissolved.
Drizzle the hot sauce mixture into the egg yolk mixture in a steady stream while rapidly whisking. Cover the sauce and chill until ready to serve.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom