Food The Recipe Thread [tm--CajunCook] (38 Viewers)

What should we do with him Dave?

I say he post three recipes and buy two beers.

;)

Joe

Hey Dave... I fixed that little problem with KOS. :hihi:

Joe

Crock Pot-Style Lamb Curry

I was inspired to create this recipe when I picked up an international cookbook which based on slow-cooking

Ingredients--

6-10 small new potatoes, chopped
1 large white onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1.5 lbs of fresh leg of lamb--chopped in large stew chunks
1 can of coconut milk
2 Kaffir Lime leaves
2 Bay Leaves
4-5 pods of cardamom
1 pinch of saffron* (optional--I happened to have some on hand)
1 tbsp of curry
1 tbsp of tumeric
1 tbsp of Garam Masala
3-4 crushed cloves
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 tsp of chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Combine all the spices in a bowl
Sautee Onion and Garlic with the spices until soft ~with the spices

Add the coconut milk, lamb, potatoes, tomatoes, and the Sauteed ingredients in a crock pot or slow cooker and cook for ~8 hours (I'm guessing here, because I just put it on--obviously cook at the lowest temp.)

Last edited:
I had some fresh pecans left from Christmas so I decided to make a pecan pie. Not just any pecan pie, but my Aunt Esther's pecan pie. She never married & was a beautician by trade. She was beautiful and one of the most gentle, kind spirits to ever inhabit earth. She also made a killer pecan pie. I was very fortunate she gave me the secret to its greatness about 40 years ago. I have never found a pecan pie any better.

AUNT ESTHER'S PECAN PIE

2/3 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon flour
"Good pinch" salt (I use about 1/4 teaspoon)
3 eggs
1/2 cup dark Karo syrup
1/2 cup light Karo syrup
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 cup pecans (halves if at all possible)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine the brown sugar, flour & salt. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Add the other ingredients except pecans & mix very well.

Place the pecans on the bottom of the unbaked pie crust. Pour the syrup mixture on top of the pecans. The pecans will rise to the top & be coated with the syrup mixture. Bake for 40 - 45 minutes. The filling should be puffy & golden brown.

**The secret is to use half dark & half light corn syrup. This is an old fashioned type pecan pie like your grandma or great grandma used to make. It isn't *too* sweet.

Jan

Here's something that has been making the rounds and I've been thinking on for a green sauce...

Tomatillo sauce...

• 1 pound tomatillos, quartered
• 1 small red onion, quartered
• 1 jalapeno, halved
• 2 garlic cloves
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Place tomatillos, onion, jalapeno and garlic in a baking dish. Toss with oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until tomatillos turn golden around the edges and are soft, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and blend ingredients together in food processor until smooth. Use water to thin sauce, if necessary. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Joe

Chef Hans said:
NEW ORLEANS ONION SOUP

1/2 STICK BUTTER
2 MEDIUM ONIONS, finely sliced
1/3 CUP SIFTED FLOUR
3 CUPS WATER
1 CHICKEN BOUILLON CUBE
1 OUNCE DRY WHITE WINE {looks like Chardonnay is all I have}
1/2 CUP SHREDDED CHEESE {I'll use cheddar this time}
1 OUNCE DRY SHERRY {durn it, I am out of sherry}
PINCH OF GROUND BAY LEAF {I just put a small bay leaf in it}
SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE {I'll doctor it up with herbs and spices}

Put soup pot on medium heat and melt butter and onion and stir until tender. Add flour and combine. Pour in water and bouillon. Stir with whisk and simmer for 15 minutes. Add wine, cheese, sherry and seasoning. Stir until cheese is melted. Tastes great with croutons.

I am making this tonight for supper. I am adding crawfish and shrimp to it (maybe two cups of each?). Since it is Ash Wednesday, I'm substituting vegetable bouillon for the chicken bouillon (I also will use three "cubes", not one). Oh, and I usually add half-n-half to get that "creaminess".

Historically I have added peas, corn, broccoli, okra, etc. to past soups (usually not all at once). This basic recipe is very versatile.

EDIT: I'm going to bump up the liquid to four cups (maybe even five) since I am putting all that seafood in there.

Last edited:
I'm wanting to make a "cajun" or "New Orleans" specific flavored pizza. I know that I want to put crawfish and oysters on it, but for those out there that know pizza, the most important part is the sauce. I need help with some ideas for sauces. something very New Orleans. Any help would be very appreciated. THANKS!!!

I'm wanting to make a "cajun" or "New Orleans" specific flavored pizza. I know that I want to put crawfish and oysters on it, but for those out there that know pizza, the most important part is the sauce. I need help with some ideas for sauces. something very New Orleans. Any help would be very appreciated. THANKS!!!
Maybe a cajun style alfredo sauce?

How bout making the pizza as normal.. but use thin sliced andullie instead of Pepperoni, also try adding shrimp, crawfish meat and fresh slices of Cayenne peppers... Yea... It's a slight rip off of Deano's, but what the heck...

Joe

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

•  

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom