Food The Recipe Thread [tm--CajunCook] (5 Viewers)

Is there a substitute for Okra when making Gumbo? I'm not having a ton of luck finding it at my local stores.

Not really. But, not all gumbo has okra in it. Personally, I'm not a big fan of it so I seldom use it. But, you might check out the frozen vegatables in your grocery. I don't know where you are, but sometimes it's easier to find frozen than fresh.

Thanks for that info. In the end I tracked down a place that sold it. So I was able to make it. It turned out ok, I think I need to cut the okra more. Or I may try and find some, that dont require it in the first place. Any good books that some one would recommend? I saw a few web sites, but I was wondering if there were any good books on the subject? Thanks again for the info

Here's a neat little recipe... Pin Wheel steaks... You have to see the pics to understand...

http: //blog.masslive.com/valleyvictuals/2008/06/flank_steak_pinwheels.html

Joe

I've been making some chicken salad that is incredible and have finally mastered it. I don't have exact recipe's so you might have to wing it.

When I make it, I make a lot of it because it never lasts long.

Get an extra large pot, food processor, boneless/skinless chicken breasts, almonds, purple seedless grapes, olive oil, garlic (use powder) and tony's.

I like to do 10lbs of chicken so.....

Fill large pot half way with water. Put plenty of tony's and garlic into water and place on high, also dab a bit of olive oil into the water to keep the chicken from sticking. Cut chicken breasts into quarters and place into pot when water is boiling. Cook for 30 minutes stirring occasionally to make sure chicken isn't sticking to bottom.

Take almonds (I like to use a 1/3 lb with 8lbs of chicken) and place them in food processor for brief seconds until they are small but not completely ground.

Take grapes and cut into thirds. I usually use two big vines worth but you might want to just add to taste.

When the chicken is finished boiling dump into large strainer then place chicken into food processor and blend until it is very fine. Be sure to do this while it is still hot so it will hold more moisture. Take the chicken and dump into very large bowl. Add mayo but don't overdo it. I like to add just enough to where the chicken begins to lump together in balls when I stir it. Add a lot more garlic powder then when you think you have added too much add some more. Put almonds and grapes into bowl and stir until it is mixed well.

Stick in fridge for a few hours before serving.

It really is quite easy to make, it gets better after sitting in the fridge a couple days and it is great by itself, on a sandwich, with bagels or crackers.

Do not let anyone outside the family try it because they will beg for more. Oh, I don't normally like chicken salad.

Dry Rub I like

Does anyone have a good rub recipe for a Boston Butt?

I found this recipe somewhere and altered it to my liking.

[FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif']1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne[/FONT]

I also have some recipes on my site if anyone is interested some are originals and some are from other places.

http:// www. neworleanstailgaters.com/blog/?cat=5

Is there a substitute for Okra when making Gumbo? I'm not having a ton of luck finding it at my local stores.

File (Fee-lay) is considered a substitute for okra in gumbo. File is ground sassafras leaves. It's usually sold in the spice section under the name "gumbo file".

"The Creoles liked the delicate flavor and began using it in their soups and stews. They found that besides adding flavor, file also thickened with the same slippery smoothness of okra, and could be substituted when okra wasn't in season" -- The Little Gumbo Book

Shrimp and Grits(requested by feoninfunroe):

Well, I'm not very good with measurements.

I can tell you the ingredients, but not the exact measurements

If you're cooking for 2, I would use probably a little over half of a stick of butter. Just sauté some onion in the butter for a few mins, then add you seasoned shrimp(paprika, cayenne, garlic powder,salt, and sprinkle a little flour over them) it will basically be like blackened shrimp. Cook for a couple mins on each side, then add some chopped mushrooms. After that, add some cream. You'll just have to eyeball it. I don't know how much:shrug: Pour over the grits and serve.

As for the grits, just read the direction on how to cook them on the box ,sack, or whatever you get them in. I just added extra sharp yellow cheddar, and sharp white cheddar. I used the cracker barrel Kraft brand, that comes in cracker slices. That's all that I could find. Per one serving of grits, use three of the slices (I used two white, one yellow). I don't know how much grated you would have to use, though:shrug: After that, I just put some hot sauce in them. That's it.

Shrimp and Grits(requested by feoninfunroe):

Well, I'm not very good with measurements.

I can tell you the ingredients, but not the exact measurements

If you're cooking for 2, I would use probably a little over half of a stick of butter. Just sauté some onion in the butter for a few mins, then add you seasoned shrimp(paprika, cayenne, garlic powder,salt, and sprinkle a little flour over them) it will basically be like blackened shrimp. Cook for a couple mins on each side, then add some chopped mushrooms. After that, add some cream. You'll just have to eyeball it. I don't know how much:shrug: Pour over the grits and serve.

As for the grits, just read the direction on how to cook them on the box ,sack, or whatever you get them in. I just added extra sharp yellow cheddar, and sharp white cheddar. I used the cracker barrel Kraft brand, that comes in cracker slices. That's all that I could find. Per one serving of grits, use three of the slices (I used two white, one yellow). I don't know how much grated you would have to use, though:shrug: After that, I just put some hot sauce in them. That's it.

This recipe begs maybe for some heavy cream. It sounds like you had trouble thickening it up sans the grits.

It looked good, though. :9:

RCS chicken marinade, for Kevin from Buffalo. Try this ! I do it all the time.
It has a nice tang to it and can be spiced up as much as you want. The vinegar really makes the yard bird tender too !

for a whole chicken,

2 cups red wine vinegar
1/2 cup worchestershire sauce
garlic powder
cayene
paprika
black pepper
a pinch of rosemary

Combine and heat to a boil in a sauce pan. Let cool to room temperature.
Put chicken in a large zip lock bag and add the marinade. Refrigerate over night.
Put the ol' yard bird on your smoker or grill (beer can if so)

Pull it apart and have a sandwich. Enjoy !

Last edited:
Hey does anyone have a good red beans and rice recipe? Have a hamhock in the fridge from dinner tonight and wanted to make some for tommorrow.

Anyone have a $$$ Muffaletta reciept they'd like to share. I don't mean the one Max Libido posted in this thread.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom