Food The Recipe Thread [tm--CajunCook] (2 Viewers)

anyone have a restaurant style fried shrimp. i could never get the batter down. too much flour or fish fry stuff. I just want a crunchy batter. flour is bland and that corn stuff is to grainy.
Are you saying you don't want any cornmeal at all or that the recipes you have used have used too much. I use equal parts cornmeal to equal parts all-purpose flour with creole seasoning(For extra crunch use self-rising flour instead of all-purpose). I also like to toss my shrimp in Louisiana Hot Sauce and let it marinate for 5 minutes. If you want it to be srtictly flour-based try using self-rising flour with creole seasoning when you batter your shrimp. Whether you are marinating the shrimp in hot sauce or not you would then toss it in the seasoned flour/cormeal mixture or seasoned self-rising flour, then into and eggwash and the back into the seasoned flour/cormeal mixture or seasoned self-rising flour and then fry.

thanks dave!!!

I just am tired of using fish fry thats what i meant by cornmeal. I will give your recipe a try.

I have taken all the recipes that I could find over the years, and moved them to one place.

Joe

CajunCook

simple and quick salsa

4 roma tomatoes
1/6th spanish onion
15 fresh cilantro leaves (NO STEMS)
juice from 1 lime
1/3 fresh jalpeno pepper
1/3 fresh cerrano pepper (optional)
1 can of mexican rotel tomatoes, drained
tsp sugar
salt to taste (dash or 2)

throw it all in a blender. eat

takes more time to eat than make

Super easy but awesome ALFEDO sauce

1 Qrt heavy whipping cream
2/3 to 1 cup for parmesean cheese (NOT CRAFT...get the decent stuff)
Crushed Black pepper
salt to taste (about 1 tbls)

Boil cream **if you take your eyes off the cream you will have a mess!
As cream begins to froth(rise), gradually add grated parm cheese wile stirring fast. If cream is rising over the top you need to a) stir faster and/or b) lower the heat.
Don't stop stirring until Parmeasan is completely melted

add salt to taste. Add the black pepper till it looks right to you.

simmer until sauce is desired consitency

Usually done in the same time it takes to boil the pasta.

SUPER QUICK and DELICIOUS

Last edited:
Who do y'all think makes the best Crawfish boil?

Zatarain's or Louisiana Fish Fry?

Let me try my hand. This is one of my favorite dishes to make because it is quick and relatively cheap.

Stovetop Chicken Parmesan
Ingredients:
3 chicken breasts(skinned and tenderized)
1 or 2 eggs(just for an egg wash so if you don't want to use more than 1 egg, you don't have to)
a bowl of Italian Bread Crumbs
Some Seasoning Salt(optional)
A little butter or no-stick spray
1 bottle of tomato sauce(or you can make a homeade amount-enough to fill a skillet)
As much Mozzarella and Paremesan cheese as you want(about a handfull per breast is what i use)
Your favorite noodles/pasta(I use bow tie pasta)

As you can see the ingredients are not an exact science, they don't have to be. For this recipe, you want a pretty deep skillet(over 1.5 inches or so) and it should be big enough for 3 chicken breasts to fit in. Make sure your chicken breasts are tender as they can be. Crack your egg/s and make an eggwash. Pour some breadcrumbs into another bowl(put a good helping of seasoning salt into the breadcrumbs for some extra flavor). Put some butter or no stick spray into the skillet and put it over medium heat(nothing is in it yet). Take a chicken breast, dip it into the eggwash and then the breadcrumbs(try to cover as much chicken as possible) and put it into the skillet, repeat for the other 2 breasts. Sear both sides of the chicken breasts(DO Not push down onto the breasts, they are not hamburgers, let them sit there for a little while, you are trying to lock in the juices, not expel them). After both sides are seared to your hearts content, pour the tomato sauce in until it covers the chicken breasts completely. Use a spatula or other kitchen utensil to make sure that sauce is under the breasts as well. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.

While the chicken is simmering, boil a pot of water and start cooking your noodles.

After the 20 minutes is up, put as much mozzarella and parmesan onto the breasts as you want. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. The cheese should be melted.

[Because cooking times may vary, you may want to prod the thickest breast to make sure it is thoroughly cooked. Better safe than sorry with chicken]

Put some noodles onto 3 plates, carefully pour some of the tomato sauce from the skillet onto the noodles and then place a chicken breast on top. You can add even more cheese now if you want.

Dig in and enjoy. (this dish goes well with breadsticks or garlic bread and a salad)

The best New Orleans BBQ shrimp recipe. His creole seasoning is excellent and it is good on anything. He includes a recipe for biscuits, but you can also use french bread.
  • 3 pounds large Gulf shrimp, in their shells
  • Cracked black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/4 cup chopped onions
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 3 lemons, peeled and sectioned
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon chopped chives
  • 2 tablespoons EMERILíS CREOLE SEASONING:
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon dried thyme
  • TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN BISCUITS:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons butter, cold
  • 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening, cold
  • 1 cup milk
Peel the shrimp, leaving only their tails attached. Reserve the shells and set aside. Sprinkle the shrimp with 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning and fresh cracked black pepper. Use you hands to coat the shrimp with the seasonings. Refrigerate the shrimp while you make the sauce base.

Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large pot over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onions and garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the reserved shrimp shells, the remaining Creole seasoning, the bay leaves, lemons, water, Worcestershire, wine, salt, and black pepper. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat, allow to cool for about 15 minutes. Strain into a small saucepan. There should be about 1 1/2 cups. Place over high heat, bring to a boil, and cook until thick, syrupy, and dark brown, for about 15 minutes. Makes about 4 to 5 tablespoons of barbecue sauce base.

Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the seasoned shrimp and sauté them, occasionally shaking the skillet, for 2 minutes. Add the cream and all of the barbecue base. Stir and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove the shrimp to a warm platter with tongs and whisk the butter into the sauce. Remove from the heat. Mound the shrimp in the center of a platter. Spoon the sauce over the shrimp and around the plate. Arrange the biscuits around the shrimp. Garnish with chopped chives.

Yield: 4 servings

EMERIL’S CREOLE SEASONING:
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.

Yield: 2/3 cup

TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN BISCUITS:
Preheat the oven to 400ºF.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well. Add 1 tablespoon of the cold butter and the cold shortening and work it into the dry ingredients, using your hands, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the milk. The dough will be sticky.

Dust your work surface with some flour. Turn the dough onto the floured surface. Gently fold each side toward the center. Pick up the dough and dust the work surface with additional flour. Return the dough to the floured surface and fold each side towards the center again. Turn the dough over and press it out to 1-inch thickness. Cut the biscuits, straight down, do not twist the cutter, with a 2 1/4-inch round cookie cutter. Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter and add to a 10-inch round cake pan. Place the biscuits in the pan, turning once (to coat both sides with butter), about 1/4-inch apart. Let the biscuits rest for 15 minutes before baking. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
http://www.emerils.com/recipe/4531/New-Orleans-Bbq-Shrimp

I just whipped up a batch of this stuff, and it's really, really good. It's a modified version of several recipes I found, most resembling Chef Folse's recipe.

RebSaint's chicken Fricassee

1- 3.5 lb chicken [I just got one pre sliced]
3 small stalks of celery, chopped
1 white onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped [yes, 4 garlic is good]
6-7 medium sized red potatoes, halved.
1.5 quarts of chicken stock, or 4 chicken cubes+water
Flour
2 Tbsp Oregano, Basil, and 3 Tbsp of Parsley

Seasoning: Tony's

Directions

Dust chicken pieces with Tony's cajun seasoning [tm], fresh ground pepper, and salt. Place in fridge for an hour. Cover chicken with flour, then brown chicken in cast-iron skillet for 8-10 minutes in oil. Take chicken out, set aside.

In a large dutch oven or pot, add chicken stock and ~ 2 cups of water. Add potatoes and bring to a boil.

In the same pan after browning the chicken, make a roux, the browner, IMO the better. Cook for 15 mins than add vegetables with Basil, Parsley, and Oregano. Cook until veggies are wilted, what you'll get is a thick paste. Add the roux and vegetables to the boiling water with the potatoes.

Cook down, boil for about an hour.

Add the chicken, Cook at a low boil for another hour.

Turn fire down and simmer for another 2 hours.

Serve over rice.

I need a good recipe for both quail and duck. Any suggestions?

Quail:

Marinate whole cleaned split quails in left over pickle juice and crushed garlic for an hour. Dredge in cornmeal batter and fry. Serve only with chunky garlic mashed potatoes. If you wanna be fancy, make a jalapeno and lime burre blanc and drizzle over both.

Duck:

Get you a good duck. Force feed him till his liver nearly explodes. Butcher and remove liver. Chill duck liver while you prepare the following:

Reduce EXPENSIVE balsamic vinegar to a thick gooey paste and set aside. You only need a fed drops per serving.

Chop up a bunch of lemons and boil in sugared water to make a simple syrup. Add orange blossom honey and reduce to candy stage then set aside and keep warm.

Slice one loaf of Reising's French Bread into 1/4" diagonal slices - cracker sized. tumble in garlic butter then broil to form a garlic crouton/cracker. Do only one side now. Make extras to snack on while drinking beer.

Slice liver into 1/2-3/4" slices big enough to top cracker, but remember that the fatty liver shrinks so be generous. Preheat saute pan to med hi and dust liver with a tiny bit of flour. Sear on each side to brown - just a few seconds - then remove and set aside on drying rack. (Reserve duck liver fat for later fun)

Drink 2 beers.

Retrieve crackers and top with lemon/honey candy goo then pop in broiler to melt candy. Set aside to cool.

Top lemon/honey/garlic cracker with slice of liver and drizzle a tiny bit of candy over the top to make candy web yummies. Drizzle a few drops of the reduced balsamic syrup over the liver and cracker and serve over a mesculine salad with salt pepper and berry viniagrette.

Goes well with Champagne and an all expenses paid trip to the cardiologist. Enjoy!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom