Food The Recipe Thread [tm--CajunCook] (1 Viewer)

in for this

I've been making shrimp omelets that turn out great! Plus, it's pretty easy once you know the tricks.

1 tsp chopped parsley
1 Tb diced Green onions
1 tsp Fresh Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup Shrimp/Crawfish leftover from a boil - diced fairly fine (I'll add a little more seasoning)
3 to 4 sliced button mushrooms
3 eggs (pureed in a blender - necessary to aerate and make light/fluffy)
Butter
Fresh black pepper

Slice and briefly saute the mushrooms in a little pat of butter in a small pan.
Add some extra cajun seasoning to your shrimp/crawfish unless they're already very spicy.
Get a large non-stick skillet moderately hot and add a little butter.
In a blender, puree the eggs vigorously till they're frothy.
Pour the beaten eggs into the skillet, stir gently once with a wooden spoon/spatula.
IMPORTANT - turn the heat down to low, you don't want to overcook the eggs.
If eggs are pooling in the center, lift skillet up, tilt/rotate to let eggs run around the edges.
Avoid stirring the eggs - as this makes them less tender.
When eggs are about halfway done, add mushrooms, shrimp, onion, parsley, parmesan.
Carefully fold over in half, let cook for a bit, then flip completely and finish out.
Add salt/pepper as needed.

Enjoy.

I'm trying to come up with a good sauce/topping for this. Maybe a creamcheese/dill topping. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Maybe a crabmeat/cheese topping.

LS

8 Pork loin chops, boneless, 1 in thick
1 Tbsp Cooking Oil
1 Tspn Garlic
1 Tspn Onion powder
1 Tspn Salt
1 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp black pepper
1 Tbsp dried bell peppers
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup cream
Water as needed.

Coat the inside of the saucepan with the oil, and use high heat to brown the chops while adding the garlic, onion and salt. After browning, cover, reduce the heat to medium and let simmer until the chops are cooked through.

Remove the chops and turn up the heat. Sprinkle the flour while stirring with a fork...heck, make a roux, OK? Add the wine, cream and bell peppers, adjust the thickness by adding water if needed.

Return the chops to the sauce, cover and put on low heat. Serve with rice or mashed potatoes.

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 12
Sausage-Cheese Balls

1lb hot breakfast sausage
8oz extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
2 cups biscuit mix
dry spices of your choice (Tony's, garlic powder, red pepper, etc.)

Thoroughly mix all ingredients in bowl, making sure the sausage and cheese are blended well. Roll into marble-sized (3/4 - 1 in. dia.) balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in 400 degree oven until done (about 15-20 minutes). These freeze well.

I put that recipe on another thread, but I gotta tell ya...if you use 4oz of cheddar and 4oz of pepper jack, hold on to your hat.

I like to put different dry spices in there to experiment, but dry herbs are a must. A typical "Italian seasoning" herb blend is cheap but killer.

I cheat by using some wooster sauce in there. I know it says to not add liquid, but come on.

Curry powder, allspice, a dash of whatever...and yew betcha! :9:

Now as far as that oven temp and cooking time goes...

What I do is I use my big, round, pizza pan. I place the balls on it from the center, spiraling out, so that I've got a full, round, evenly-placed pan full of them. Then I'll pop it into the 400F oven and set the timer for five minutes. Then when that five minutes is up, I'll twirl that pan a half/turn and set the timer for another five minutes. Then check and twirl again, etc.

The trick is to get them to cook evenly, without over-cooking the outside ones. So I might fret over them, and twirl that pan every five minutes or so. But it's easy to over-cook them, so one thing to remember is that even after they're pulled from the oven, they'll still be cooking.

I try not to let mine go over 20 minutes in the oven. What I'm looking for is consistency and "color", but by "color", I don't mean brown, because if you let them get brown, then you've dried them out too much, and it's like eating sawdust. I'm sure that there's an French word for "color" that I'm talking about, but damned if I know what it is.

So anyway, I guess that the main point is; everybody's afraid of pork. Nobody wants it raw. I agree. But remember. Once you've mixed this stuff up thoroughly, the pork sausage is so thin in each ball that the melting cheese will cook it. The biscuit mix is there to hold it together while that magic happens. So err on the side of caution of "maybe it's underdone", and taste one, and then use your judgment. Just remember that they will continue to cook after you pull them out.

Another note is: Don't just grab the cheap-*** "Jimmy Dean". Get you some good sausage. Not necessarily more expensive, just an off-brand, or a local brand. Get the sharpest cheddar you can get, too, especially if you decide to mix it with pepper-jack, or any other kind of cheese.

Remember, this is an hors d'œuvre. It supposed to be some succulent stuff. I usually eat about half of the batch right then when I cook it, you know, "checking on it" :9:

I can't believe I never contributed to this thread. Here's an easy southern staple, that I love

Pimento cheese

I'll try to get close on the amounts, I don't measure much when I cook

1 cup mayo (I prefer Dukes, homemade is even better)
about a block (I think 8 ounces) jack, colby cheese
about a block sharp cheddar
4 oz jar of pimentos
6-10 pieces of crisp bacon depending on thickness and how much you like bacon
about a quarter of fresh lemon juice
lowery's seasoning salt to taste
optional garlic powder (either way its good, just depends on mood)
about 1/2 table spoon of dijon mustard

Mix it all together, let it sit for a couple of hours in the fridge before eating. It keeps for quite awhile. I've worked on this for years and this is what I came up with. Old southern ladies have asked me for my recipe, so I think I'm on to something. As with any recipe its all about personal taste so you may want to change the proportions.

sausage cheese balls are money. That was one of the recipes I requested from my mom when I moved out. I still have a dirty worn set of index cards my mom wrote out for me years ago.

Another recipe I came up with the other day

Sweet and spicy pecans

butter
cumin
cayenne
garlic powder
brown sugar
salt
butter
half pecans

melt butter in pan combine all ingredients to taste. (Sorry I didn't measure anything. Be careful that melted sugar will burn you when taste testing.)
Toss pecans in mixture. Spread over cookie sheet covered with parchment paper, bake at 300 for about 20 minutes, Just keep checking it, when the coating starts to starts to bubble again its about done.

These things are great for snacking. I've also chopped them up and put them in salads.

anyone into smokers? It's like a 2nd or 3rd hobby of mine. My smoker is running at least once a week...sometimes more. I do most of the main stuff. Butts, briskets, ribs, and country ribs but will do wings and bologna every now and then too along with several other things.
brisket on the smoker
034-1.jpg

I have a smoker, just did ribs this week and boston butt last week. Gonna get the big green egg eventually.

I have a smoker, just did ribs this week and boston butt last week. Gonna get the big green egg eventually.
people that own them are happy with them but they're pricey. I prefer texas style smokers myself. I use a rub called strawberry's, not sure if the site approves links to business' so I won't post it but they do have a website. I've used about every rub out there....Rudy's rub is another good one I like to use but it gets pretty expensive in the amounts I use a year. I'll use 2-3 gallons of rub a year normally. I just recently bought a bunch of spices in bulk so I can start making my own rub.
I did 2 fresh pork butts last week for the game and a couple dozen wings that came out awesome. Not sure what I'm doing this week for the game. I make a pretty nasty steak on the grill too....use a simple rub for those 2. Shake on Lawry's seasoned salt, garlic powder, coarse ground pepper, and smoked sweet paprika. Then right at the end I'll put a little pat of Land o' lakes butter on them.....no sauce needed. :D

What I did for my ribs is coated them with yellow mustard and made a rub, half tonys, and half brown sugar. I sometimes make my own BBQ sauce but I tried some Sweet Baby Rays this time and it was delicious.

What I did for my ribs is coated them with yellow mustard and made a rub, half tonys, and half brown sugar. I sometimes make my own BBQ sauce but I tried some Sweet Baby Rays this time and it was delicious.
yeah, I do the mustard trick too. I'm a big fan of sweet baby ray's. Best sauce out there IMO. I also use strawberry's sweet sauce too which has a heavy molasses base. The rub has some heat to it and the sweet sauces compliment it pretty nicely. I use tony's on chicken normally....makes a good beer can chicken.

This is my father's jambalaya recipe he passed down to me, which I then tweaked:

1. Fry cubes of chicken in half vegetable/canola oil, half olive oil on high heat. Stir in Conecuh sausage.

2. Once both are cooked, stir in a bag of seasoning blend.

3. Once the seasoning blend is cooked down (where it's wilted), stir in the following seasonings: Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning (1 layer over the entire pot), paprika (1 layer), chopped onion (1/2 layer), onion powder (1/2 layer), minced garlic (1/2 layer), garlic powder (1/2 layer), parsley (2 layers), chives (1 layer), seasoning salt (to taste), sea salt (to taste), black pepper (1 layer), red pepper (a pinch), and Salley's Seasoning (not sure where you can get it anymore but it's delicious). Stir everything in.

4. Pour in desired amount of rice (I usually do 2-2.5 cups which makes enough for me, my wife, and 1-year old to eat dinner as well as me have 2 lunches leftover).

5. Pour in 1 12-oz. bottle of Miller Lite (I'm not a beer drinker, but no other beer is as good for this dish). Then pour in chicken broth for the rest of the liquid (if making 2.5 cups of rice, you need 5 cups of liquid -- the oil combo + water from the frozen veggies makes up about 1 cup, the beer 1.5 cups, so you'd need 2.5 cups of chicken broth).

6. Continue stirring until it boils. Once it boils, stir in de-veined, cleaned, shelled frozen shrimp.

7. Put on the top and reduce heat to low. Stir every 5 minutes for 25-30 minutes or until rice is tender.

8. Eat and try not to finish the whole pot in one sitting, fatty!

I'm trying to come up with a good sauce/topping for this. Maybe a creamcheese/dill topping. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Maybe a crabmeat/cheese topping.

LS

Court of Two Sisters uses a Garlic Cream Sauce..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom