The Timing for the Steelers Game Couldn't be Worse (1 Viewer)

I repsectfully disagree with this game being a "trap" game. First, it's a road game against the reigning world champions. Every team gets up when playing the champs. Second, with the injuries that are mounting up for the Saints, it will keep the others more focused on their jobs. Third, I don't think they will lose focus on the big prize they are trying to get with leaders like Brees. Let's face it, if this team is for real, this game should be a statement game for them. To go on the road and beat the world champs, no matter what their record is, solidifies them as a legitimate contender. If they lose, then they are still the "not ready for primetime" players.

I doubt Payton will let his guys even think that this will be easy by no means... these guys are still the defending Super Bowl champs... regardless of their record. Last year they ran a long winning streak to get into the playoffs and then to win the whole thing... nobody in black and gold will get suckered into thinking this Steelers team is dead.

Sometimes you just gotta look at the odds, know that they are against you, know that every "sign" from heaven points the other way, know that every law of science points to your demise, and go in there an thumb your nose at the gods, pick up the biggest stick you can find and swing away to victory. THAT's what I think the Saints are going to do this weekend. Maybe they will be victorious, maybe not, but I think they will swing away. This will not be the Baltimore game repeated. The Saints will give Pittsburgh all they can handle - and maybe then some. Wade Wilson isn't quarterbacking this team and Derick Brown isn't the running back. This is Drew Brees and Deuce McAllister. This is Joe Horn and Marques Colston. This is Scott Fujita and Charles Grant. This is Baby Matrix and his breakout game. This is the NEW New Orleans Saints.
I wouldn't bet against us this week.

By the way. I DO expect some Pittsburgh gadget plays. Cowher has been holding on to some for awhile now, but if he's got them, he's going to use them today. There's barely a tomorrow for Pittsburgh as it is.

for some reason, I think the saints will be ready to play the current world champs. There will be no trap.

Pittsburg is not done. They would have to win out to make the playoffs but I'm not ruling it out. Last year they won 8 straight (including playoffs) and against a much more difficult schedule than what they are facing this year. They still have two games left against Baltimore, one game against the Bengals then the rest of their schedule includes the Browns (2), Bucs, Panthers and Saints.

I do think it is highly unlikely but that team still has talent on both sides of the ball and despite being 2-6 they have scored more points than they have given up.

Oh and, at some point, doesn't Pittsburgh just become their record? Yes they move the ball well through the air but their defense has been just gutted for a few games now, their run game isn't anything like it was last year, and Ben Roethlisberger is making bad decisions.

They're a dangerous team but guys, they're just bad. They are their record.

LSSpam, Whoa there, I expect more impartiality from you, I would point out what happened to the Bears Sunday as argument against "They are their record".

LSSpam, Whoa there, I expect more impartiality from you, I would point out what happened to the Bears Sunday as argument against "They are their record".

Bears are a pretty good team. They deserve their record. You don't think they deserve to be 12-4? What are they? An 8-8 team? I thought the Bears were WAY overrated when people mentioned the 85 Bears, but they're a 6-2, 7-1 team certainly.

Yes I think teams, within a certain range, "are" their record. If you put up 400 yards of offense but make stupid mistakes and have bad turnovers causing you to lose the game....

Well You blow. I know this because I watched the Haslett Saints go 8-8 for 4 years. Every year us Saints fans said the same thing "we're a lot better then our record, if we could just cut out the stupid mistakes...."

Well, news flash. We weren't better then our record. We were a medicore team. We got what we deserved.

The Steelers are playing real medicore football right now. The 300+ yards of passing by Roethlisberger is cute and all, but on the whole, they just aren't playing well. They are 2-6. That's where they belong. They're dangerous because they are talented, just as the Saints were back then, but let's not act like this is really a 6-2 team. It isn't.

Please allow me to correct some erroneous assertions...

This, my friends, is a trap game:

Attachments

• mousetrap.jpg
    mousetrap.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 6
I think Payton going to have his team go into the Steelers game with the mindset that the Steeler are still the defending champions no matter what the record is. You can't overlook anything in this league. If you look closely most games in the NFL are decided by not much more than a touchdown. There's not really that much separating the 1-6 teams from the 7-1 or 6-2 teams so you can't afford to look pass anyone. I think we'll be alright in this game.

The Bears showed everyone that when you turn the ball over against an NFL team six times, you are going to lose. ( Of course they also showed everyone that when you turn the ball over six times against a non-NFL time like Arizona, you can still win.)

I was surprised to hear JEROME BETTIS on Sunday night say that "The Steelers are a BAD football team." We can win this game, but it's not going to be easy.

1) Their defense is fierce. I respect Troy Polamalu as one of the best defensive players in the league today. The other guys aren't bad either.

2) The wind at Heinz Field can be wicked. It can affect the kickers & the passes that the QB's throw.

3) Their fans are pretty fierce, too. After living in Pittsburgh for a couple of years, I respect & admire the Steeler fans. They are the closest to Saints fans I've run across. It's a blue collar city with a blue collar mentality. Very down to earth and very passionate about their football. That's one of the reasons so many NFL players (QB's in particular) come from there.

I truly believe that if we can keep our focus again, and keep the penalties & turnovers to a minimum, we can win this game easily. It will also help if the Big Ben who played last Sunday shows up this Sunday, too. :hihi:

Jan

The Bears showed everyone that when you turn the ball over against an NFL team six times, you are going to lose. ( Of course they also showed everyone that when you turn the ball over six times against a non-NFL time like Arizona, you can still win.)

In fact, that's the beginning of the infamous Jim Mora rant...

"PLAYOFFS? You're talking about playoffs?!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq7BYOnDrM

I'm not hyping up the Steelers, but I think it would be dangerous to assume they're going roll over.

And I guess I wasn't being clear enough in the last post. The 7-0 Bears got beat down by the "They are their record 1-6 at the time" Dolphins. Any given Sunday, my friend.

Does this mean that the Bears are not a good team, No certainly not. Does it mean that they are somewhat overrated, maybe, we will see.

I was just pointing out the latest installment of "you cannot overlook your next opponent no matter what their record is...NFL".

Didn't mean to touch a nerve.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom