Titanic submersible es morte (2 Viewers)

Agree. The only person I can feel sympathy for is the 19 year old kid. He is too young to be making decisions like this. When I was 19 I would have done it. I was an idiot. You know that bridge on Interstate 59 that crosses the Pearl River? I have jumped off it. Complete moron move, but I was young, 10ft tall and bullet proof.

When I was a kid, I had faith in the basic functionality of most things and the competence of those who built and maintained/operated them. I had no problem riding a cable car in Colorado that still had the original cable from almost a century prior.

As an adult, I look at anything from a theme park ride to a boat to a car or whatever else and my brain immediately starts looking at the countless ways things could go bad and kill you.

The public should be ashamed of themselves over what they give attention to.
I don't really disagree in principle but this is simply a more interesting and unique story than is the sinking of another migrant ship. I think the idea of being stranded and stuck in a submarine in a race against time is just compelling by the nature of it.

To quote a scholar:

I need to watch things die
From a good safe distance
Vicariously, I live while the whole world dies
You all feel the same so
Why can't we just admit it?

I don't really disagree in principle but this is simply a more interesting and unique story than is the sinking of another migrant ship. I think the idea of being stranded and stuck in a submarine in a race against time is just compelling by the nature of it.

To quote a scholar:

I need to watch things die
From a good safe distance
Vicariously, I live while the whole world dies
You all feel the same so
Why can't we just admit it?

Awesome.

I have a hard time feeling bad for the people in there, but not because they are rich. The CEO is on record being completely nonchalant about safety. They fired a previous employee who told them this was a ticking time bomb. The disclaimer to ride in the thing tells you it has not been approved or certified by any regulatory body and could result in disability or death. The CEO is even on record in a podcast stating that Safety is unnecessary and a waste of money. People are mocking them because of their arrogance and utter foolishness. I don't mean to say these jokes are not distasteful, but there is more to it than making fun of them because they are rich. This is a completely unavoidable tragedy that they wholly brought upon themselves.
No, the tweets I have seen from the peanut gallery don’t go into that part of the story. They strictly go with “I’m glad to see these evil millionaires die.” There is no talk about the safety of the vessel, it’s just idiots floating about how these people will be/ are dead.

There is little room in society for people who think like that.

The US has about 20 ships operating in the Mediterranean. It is definitely something the US could do, but it is not an operational priority for the US Navy. There are also legal issues surrounding such rescue operations and where you would put the survivors.
It also likely involves entering the territorial waters of other countries to even perform rescue operations. IIRC, US military vessels are sovereign US territory so picking up survivors becomes problematic if the survivors ask for asylum or claim refugee status.

Last edited:
No, the tweets I have seen from the peanut gallery don’t go into that part of the story. They strictly go with “I’m glad to see these evil millionaires die.” There is no talk about the safety of the vessel, it’s just idiots floating about how these people will be/ are dead.

There is little room in society for people who think like that.
Let’s say you’re a serf in medieval france
Your family has been working for your Lord’s family as long as anyone can remember
You actually work in the castle and overhear them talking all the time, and you know for a fact that there is no reason whatsoever that the lords, et al have earned their position- you know tons of people back in your village who are smarter and wiser and kinder than any rich person you’ve ever met
You see them forever coming up with plans to make things better for your region but 60% of those things fail in ways that are actually dangerous to your family and friends, but at least they built those things by extracting more money from serfs than actually paying for it themselves

You’re at a tavern and you hear about a lord a few castles over who had a trebuchet fall on him - he was under the trebuchet admiring the word bc other lords had decided to build one as a hobby but really to find purpose in their hapless lives

You hear a table getting a bit too much schadenfreude out of this whole trebuchet thing - you’re saying you are going to sidle up to that table and proclaim ‘there’s no room in this tavern for you lot’?

Let’s say you’re a serf in medieval france
Your family has been working for your Lord’s family as long as anyone can remember
You actually work in the castle and overhear them talking all the time, and you know for a fact that there is no reason whatsoever that the lords, et al have earned their position- you know tons of people back in your village who are smarter and wiser and kinder than any rich person you’ve ever met
You see them forever coming up with plans to make things better for your region but 60% of those things fail in ways that are actually dangerous to your family and friends, but at least they built those things by extracting more money from serfs than actually paying for it themselves

You’re at a tavern and you hear about a lord a few castles over who had a trebuchet fall on him - he was under the trebuchet admiring the word bc other lords had decided to build one as a hobby but really to find purpose in their hapless lives

You hear a table getting a bit too much schadenfreude out of this whole trebuchet thing - you’re saying you are going to sidle up to that table and proclaim ‘there’s no room in this tavern for you lot’?
I mean, I guess there is as long as folks are still making space for Antifa and Klan speech.

I have a hard time feeling bad for the people in there, but not because they are rich. The CEO is on record being completely nonchalant about safety. They fired a previous employee who told them this was a ticking time bomb. The disclaimer to ride in the thing tells you it has not been approved or certified by any regulatory body and could result in disability or death. The CEO is even on record in a podcast stating that Safety is unnecessary and a waste of money. People are mocking them because of their arrogance and utter foolishness. I don't mean to say these jokes are not distasteful, but there is more to it than making fun of them because they are rich. This is a completely unavoidable tragedy that they wholly brought upon themselves.
This speaks to why if you’re an astronaut you want to fly with NASA, and not Bezos. NASA actually cares if you live or die and corporations do not.

Regarding the rich, it’s the same situation as the group trying to climb Everest for 100,000.00 per person. Your money is no substitute for experience in these unforgiving environments. It takes a certain amount of hubris to think you belong on the summit of My Everest or 12,500 feet under the surface of the sea. The truth is that these folks have not earned the right to be in either of those places.

Regarding the rich, it’s the same situation as the group trying to climb Everest for 100,000.00 per person. Your money is no substitute for experience in these unforgiving environments. It takes a certain amount of hubris to think you belong on the summit of My Everest or 12,500 feet under the surface of the sea. The truth is that these folks have not earned the right to be in either of those places.
agreed
Only slight difference is the rich people on Everest make the jobs MUCH harder for the sherpas

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom