Titanic submersible es morte (2 Viewers)

Nothing at all, but there are quite a few Tweets out there using it to score political points.

That said, that applies to just about any kind of news.
Yeah, i’m not sure how this turned political. On one hand you have the “evil rich people got what was coming” crowd, and on the other you have the “he died because he went woke” crowd. These people can’t win even in death.

I read that an implosion happens in 1 millisecond, while the brain only processes important events at 25 milliseconds.

It makes me wonder if they had any signs beforehand that the hull was not stable.
I saw something else stating even if there was a crack, the pressure of the water shooting through would have been enough to slice through anyone in the path. Eek
(I've not vetted this for accuracy)

I went through the trouble of having all that translated and it makes no attempt to convert millions to billions.

Math is math no matter which side of the border you are on.

A million million is a trillion, not a billion.

Fin de la historiafin

Why did you go to the "trouble" of having all that translated (is it really that much trouble to translate anything these days)? The part I quoted is the very first sentence tells you all you need to know from the link, and again, you don't need to speak Spanish to know what it says:
Spanish: 120,000 millones de pesos
English: 120,000 million of pesos.

The piece makes no attempt to convert millions to billions because, again, in the Spanish speaking world, 120,000 million has not reached 1 billion.

Math is math in the known universe, but the nomenclature of units of measure is different. 120,000 million and 120 billion, they are the same amount of units, we just use different terms. Like, say, 12 units vs 1 dozen. Same number of units, just different terms.

Why did you go to the "trouble" of having all that translated (is it really that much trouble to translate anything these days)? The part I quoted is the very first sentence tells you all you need to know from the link, and again, you don't need to speak Spanish to know what it says:

The piece makes no attempt to convert millions to billions because, again, in the Spanish speaking world, 120,000 million has not reached 1 billion.

Math is math in the known universe, but the nomenclature of units of measure is different. 120,000 million and 120 billion, they are the same amount of units, we just use different terms. Like, say, 12 units vs 1 dozen. Same number of units, just different terms.

R.03b98d53f39d04fe3c2aef531dfcd86d

Millions and Billions are actual numbers, not nomenclatures.

I went through the trouble of having all that translated and it makes no attempt to convert millions to billions.

Math is math no matter which side of the border you are on.

A million million is a trillion, not a billion.

Fin de la historiafin
A billion was originally a million million, going back to the 16th century. 'Bi' indicating the second power of a million, 'tri' indicating the third power, etc., millions of millions.

But then the French changed it to thousands, instead of millions, hence French 'billion' meaning a thousand millions, while elsewhere it was still meaning million of millions.

19th Century US adopted the French meaning, and then gradually the UK adopted it as well. But I'm not at all surprised if there are still languages using the original meaning.

I saw something else stating even if there was a crack, the pressure of the water shooting through would have been enough to slice through anyone in the path. Eek
This is absolutely correct. I have a friend who used to work as a surveyor offshore and one of those high pressure pipes ruptured near where he was standing and the pressurized gas blew his leg clean off below the knee. There was shattered bone fragments. He was lucky to survive that.

Edit: to be sure, a crack big enough to allow any water through in the hull of that sub at that depth would lead to near instantaneous implosion.

There are cutters that use water at high pressures to cut through concrete, so it seems plausible that a fissure in the hull of a submersible deep into the ocean would create a stream with enough pressure to cut through flesh and bone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom