Titanic submersible es morte (3 Viewers)

Edit: to be sure, a crack big enough to allow any water through in the hull of that sub at that depth would lead to near instantaneous implosion.
Yeah, the implosion would be near instantaneous as soon as the integrity failure occurred. At those pressures even a pinhole would be catastrophic, which is why what they were doing was so dangerous and irresponsible. They wouldn't have even had time to process what was happening. It would have been like the inverse of an incredibly over-inflated balloon being stuck with a pin.

There are cutters that use water at high pressures to cut through concrete, so it seems plausible that a fissure in the hull of a submersible deep into the ocean would create a stream with enough pressure to cut through flesh and bone.
Water jet cutting, according to the internet, is done at about 50,000-60,000 psi. If that's correct, it's significantly higher than the pressures at those depths. I'm not sure though if a pinhole would concentrate the pressure and make any difference.

Water jet cutting, according to the internet, is done at about 50,000-60,000 psi. If that's correct, it's significantly higher than the pressures at those depths. I'm not sure though if a pinhole would concentrate the pressure and make any difference.
I'd think it would work like a pressure washer where the narrower tips "hit harder" since the same amount is more concentrated

I'd think it would work like a pressure washer where the narrower tips "hit harder" since the same amount is more concentrated
I think this is right, but I'm not sure. I do think the material they used though negates that possibility. Carbon fiber has very little flex or give to it unlike metals. So even a small fracture would have likely shattered the bubble so quickly that it becomes a non-factor.

There is a small one that Conjet makes that goes up to 3000bar, or 43511.32psi (according to the converter). Since the cutter goes up to 3000bar, I assume it can cut concrete at lower pressures. But that's for cutting concrete.

And now that I think about it, I believe something is added to the water of a water cutter to make it more "cutty" (yes, that is the technical term :hihi:)

So now I am doubting that it is plausible.

They are simply ALL parroting the same faux outrage as a way to demonize people who do not share their politics.

Because that's what they do, Demonize the other side.
It's funny because in reading this I can't tell if you're talking about the reds or the blues. Because it's all the same.

Please don’t do that
Come on man…. I would vote for you to be an admin. I almost feel you believe I would abuse the power.

That’s it, I am officially throwing my hat in the ring to be an admin! Vote for me and I promise crawfish in every pot and less crime, more posts blah blah blah.

Come on man…. I would vote for you to be an admin. I almost feel you believe I would abuse the power.

That’s it, I am officially throwing my hat in the ring to be an admin! Vote for me and I promise crawfish in every pot and less crime, more posts blah blah blah.

If you promise pot in every crawfish, you have my vote.

There is a small one that Conjet makes that goes up to 3000bar, or 43511.32psi (according to the converter). Since the cutter goes up to 3000bar, I assume it can cut concrete at lower pressures. But that's for cutting concrete.

And now that I think about it, I believe something is added to the water of a water cutter to make it more "cutty" (yes, that is the technical term :hihi:)

So now I am doubting that it is plausible.
Oh, I think it's definitely plausible. The pipe rupture I'm referring to that blew my friend's leg off wasn't 50k psi. I don't remember what it was, but I want to say maybe 5k to 10k psi, which is within range of pressures at the depths around the Titanic. The pipe rupture took 2 inches of bone out of his lower leg.

It's possible I'm misremembering the psi, but that's what I recall off the top of my head.

I think this is right, but I'm not sure. I do think the material they used though negates that possibility. Carbon fiber has very little flex or give to it unlike metals. So even a small fracture would have likely shattered the bubble so quickly that it becomes a non-factor.
I read a WaPo article this morning describing carbon fiber as a questionable choice when most submersibles are titanium. Apparently carbon fiber was used on this one because it allowed for a larger vehicle to accommodate guests, but one theory was that repeated dives and exposure to pressure gradually weakened the hull and that it was only a matter of time until a catastrophic failure occurred.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom