Tua Tagovailoa concussion discussion (update: Tua to IR 9/17/2024)(Merged) (1 Viewer)

People love ripping on Dennis Allen here but where are you guys ripping on their coach for not stepping in doing something with their franchise QB??

How would everyone be on here if this was Allen being negligent??
Stephen Ross is no Snyder... but he has always struck me as being on the low end of the ethical scale among NFL owners... and they are not a bunch that I view as rating highly in that regard as a group.

The culture of that organization, criteria behind hiring, and considerations behind decision making on and off of the field start at the top.

It’s sad to think the NFL destroyed the saints for a season to dodge a lawsuit about concussions, yet here is a team that is pretty dang obvious running counter to any policy and spirit of the direction of the NFL and nothing is being done. Tua never should’ve been back on the field quickly after the first one, the back pain one. Guy is destroying his career and health.

Stephen Ross is no Snyder... but he has always struck me as being on the low end of the ethical scale among NFL owners... and they are not a bunch that I view as rating highly in that regard as a group.

The culture of that organization, criteria behind hiring, and considerations behind decision making on and off of the field start at the top.

Wasn’t he suspended for tampering? Definitely not a scrupulous guy - but suggesting that Tua escaping in-game concussion protocol came on orders from the owner is pretty reachy to me.

It’s sad to think the NFL destroyed the saints for a season to dodge a lawsuit about concussions, yet here is a team that is pretty dang obvious running counter to any policy and spirit of the direction of the NFL and nothing is being done. Tua never should’ve been back on the field quickly after the first one, the back pain one. Guy is destroying his career and health.
Somehow a scrawled-upon napkin by a disgruntled former employee despite lower rates of injuries by opposing players was still enough to convince fans of the other teams that the NFL had to take unprecedented punitive action to show it will prevent concussions, while standing by and letting Tua play himself into repeated actual brain damaging concussions while (non-league) doctors keep saying that the NFL shouldn't allow him back on the field is just fine.

Watching the Tua concussion plays makes me cringe. Forgive the old-timer reference, but for me it's like watching Moonpie in the Rollerball (1975) movie.

as a guy who dabbles in sports Med…this one isn’t easy. I don’t fault the Dolphins on the most recent occurrence. The thuth is that you see a lot of hits like that every game that aren’t concussions. You are highly reliant on the player endorsing symptoms…which Tua didn’t do until well after the fact. There can be delayed symptoms with concussion but it makes me wonder if it wasn’t until the third INT that Tua thought, “wow 3 INTS, one half…something’s not right.” But the problem that i have is with the first concussion that the Dolphins continue to insist was a back injury. That’s a joke. And the reason it’s so important is that most sports docs say no more after a 3rd concussion…a 2nd, not so much. It’s completely screwing the return to play protocol.

PHOENIX (AP) — Tua Tagovailoa is grateful the Miami Dolphins kept him off the field after suffering his second concussion and he has no doubts about returning to play next season.

The third-year quarterback missed Miami’s final three games, including a playoff loss to Buffalo, after being diagnosed with a concussion following a loss to Green Bay on Dec. 25.

“One of the biggest things I was trying to do was get back on the field and it was something that I had to consult with my wife, consult with my parents, my family,” Tagovailoa told the AP Pro Football Podcast on Friday. “But at the end of the day, I think others had bigger interests in my health than I did. (I’m) talking about the Dolphins, and their whole plan was: ‘Hey, we want to just protect you from yourself and not put any pressure on you to return back for this year.’ And so, as much as I wanted to come back and a lot of the conversations that we’ve had, it’s just that’s how the cards played out.

“Looking back at it, I’m very, very grateful that they didn’t rush me back. I’ve been able to take care of myself that much more and better.”

The NFL and the players’ union revised concussion protocols in October following a joint investigation into the procedures after Tagovailoa suffered what was described as a back injury against the Buffalo Bills in September…….

PHOENIX (AP) — Tua Tagovailoa is grateful the Miami Dolphins kept him off the field after suffering his second concussion and he has no doubts about returning to play next season.

The third-year quarterback missed Miami’s final three games, including a playoff loss to Buffalo, after being diagnosed with a concussion following a loss to Green Bay on Dec. 25.

“One of the biggest things I was trying to do was get back on the field and it was something that I had to consult with my wife, consult with my parents, my family,” Tagovailoa told the AP Pro Football Podcast on Friday. “But at the end of the day, I think others had bigger interests in my health than I did. (I’m) talking about the Dolphins, and their whole plan was: ‘Hey, we want to just protect you from yourself and not put any pressure on you to return back for this year.’ And so, as much as I wanted to come back and a lot of the conversations that we’ve had, it’s just that’s how the cards played out.

“Looking back at it, I’m very, very grateful that they didn’t rush me back. I’ve been able to take care of myself that much more and better.”

The NFL and the players’ union revised concussion protocols in October following a joint investigation into the procedures after Tagovailoa suffered what was described as a back injury against the Buffalo Bills in September…….

It’s a crossroads for him - he’s choosing to keep going. He’s in a high risk category and almost certain to suffer more concussions . . . or maybe he gets lucky.

He’s made $25.9M, which seems like a lot but after tax and agents and personal staff and expenses, it’s not football star money - and that’s there for him if he can stay in the game. The problem is that he’s got another year on the rookie deal at $4.7M and it’s going to be hard to extend him for big dollars without knowing if he can keep playing for extended time.

Going to be an interesting thing to watch. I presume he’s getting top notch neurological care but it’s still a gamble based on what we know.

Last edited:
It’s a crossroads for him - he’s choosing to keep going. He’s in a high risk category and almost certain to suffer more concussions . . . or maybe he gets lucky.

He’s made $25.9M, which seems like a lot but after tax and agents and personal staff and expenses, it’s not football star money - and that’s there for him if he can stay in the game. The problem is that he’s got another year on the rookie deal at $4.7M and it’s going to be hard to extend him for big dollars without knowing if he can keep playing for extended time.

Going to be an interesting thing to watch. I presume he’s getting top notch neurological care but it’s still a gamble based on what we know.
I image Tua will be like this next season to protect his head.

In all seriousness though, he is taking a huge risk coming back. I remember Don Beebe getting a big helmet. That guy was always getting knocked out.

I image Tua will be like this next season to protect his head.

In all seriousness though, he is taking a huge risk coming back. I remember Don Beebe getting a big helmet. That guy was always getting knocked out.

Every NFL player who gets two concussions in a 4-week span should receive a mandatory two hour visit with Jr Seau's kids.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom