Vikings still sore about 2009. (4 Viewers)

How, why, that was over 11 years ago. They lost that game fair and square.

Plus they upended N.O 2 of the last 4 years on the playoffs. Saints fans should be the ones sore
Especially considering the "Minnesota Miracle" was one blown play after the refs had done everything in their power to hand the Vikings the game (including giving them the ball for that possession at all by totally failing to call it when they lined up offsides on 3rd and short on the previous series).

They turned the ball over on something like 1 in 7 of their offensive plays in the 2009 game and they think they should have won.

Uhhh, ok...

That article is ironic considering the NFC North has long been referred to as the "black and blue division".

I'll admit we Saints fans seem like poor sports when harping over the bang-bang no call, but to argue that an entire loss was the result of cheating - from 12 years ago! - really makes their fanbase seem like spurned lovers. I don't think that article does them any favors.
The media likes to say it's poor sportsmanship to complain about officiating because the media makes more money form sports if people believe the game is fair.

NFL officiating has always been a joke and there have always been close, important games decided by obvious bad calls and often an obvious pattern of one-sided bad calls.

And it wasn't bang-bang so much as bang

bang.

They really have nothing else. That and 98 were their only shots at a championship since the Grant years.
They did appear in couple of NFCCGs after Bud Grant's retirement in 1985, they made a Cinderella run in 1987(beating us decisively and then San Francisco, in what almost was Bill Walsh's last game as Niners HC(he was nearly fired by 49ers owner Eddie Debartolo after the season and some NFL experts, pundits, even Bay Area fans believed then that the 1988 season would be Montana's last in San Francisco), and it took an inspired performance by Redskins to defeat Vikings and Darrell Green to knock away what might've a potential game-tying TD from Wade Wilson to Darrin Nelson. Some NFL historians believe that if Vikings hadn't decided on such a one-sided, historically bad, "Great Trade Robbery", with Dallas in exchange for Herschel Walker in 1989, they might've been a SB dynasty because by the late 1980's, Minnesota had one of the best, fiercest, most intimidating D-lines in the NFL.

Then there's was the 2000 NFCCG blowout, godforsaken mess they faced on the road when they played the Giants and were absolutely crushed, 41-0.

I don't blame them. If the role's were reversed there would be plenty of articles from saints fans. Its the tragedy for being a sports fan....
If I recall correctly there was 1 roughing the passer penalty called and I disagreed with it (one where Favre reversed it and was then an eligible blocker for the play.) There was one other call that I suppose could have been made - a high/low hit. But again, the refs did not throw the flag...and again, his guys did a poor job of blocking. Favre himself said it would've used the same strategy.

Thing that gets me the most is no Vikings fan can ever point to specific examples of how we cheated. Just that we were punished severely, so we must be guilty.

Players were absolved of all guilt and just the coaches, who have no union whatsoever, were suspended. Like if it came out that Albert Haynesworth was told to stomp on that lineman's head by a coach, they'd just suspend or punish the coach? Hell no. They'd suspend the player too.

Thing that gets me the most is no Vikings fan can ever point to specific examples of how we cheated. Just that we were punished severely, so we must be guilty.

Players were absolved of all guilt and just the coaches, who have no union whatsoever, were suspended. Like if it came out that Albert Haynesworth was told to stomp on that lineman's head by a coach, they'd just suspend or punish the coach? Hell no. They'd suspend the player too.

Whenever I come across a Viking fan, most get all " high and mighty " and start talking about how bad our team was during that " Bounty " BS.

I simply remind them of " The Love Boat " scandal and how their team had a bunch of degenerates and broke actual laws.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2260019

They were the more physical team for most of the game and then frittered it away at crucial moments:

Six fumbles.
FIVE turnovers in the last 30:10 of the game, including two in the red zone.
In fact, of their last seven possessions, they had two TDs and five turnovers.

Somebody figure out how to say "choking" in a couple of Scandanavian languages and give these poor folks a call. :hihi:

At this point, they are right up there below the Falcons and 49ers whose fan bases I love to see lose. Didn't use to be that way; for instance, I do feel badly for the Bills fans after those four SB losses and want them to get one.

Not the Vikings. My second favorite empty trophy case in the NFL.

I was on my way to work a few days later listening too ESPN radio. Vikes radio announcer Paul Allen was the guest. He was asked if dirty play by the Saints was the reason they lost. He said No.. He said you cannot go on the road, commit 5 turnovers and expect to win. I've always respected Allen after that interview

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom