Watching Football on TV (LED/OLED) (2 Viewers)

Which size & are you going with the 8K or 4K? I'm getting close to making a purchase myself for the Samsung QN90A or going with the OLED LGC1, more likely will go with the Samsung because the OLEDs degrade faster, risk of burn-in and the picture is darker.
The Q90A (4k, probably) is the one that I've been looking at, either the 65" or 75", depending on my budget. I think that there is about $1000 difference between the two.
Thanks to both you and Zztop for the info...

Honestly think burn-in is a thing of the past. Only worry would be if you maybe watch a lot of news or other programs with a static banner - for literally hours a day, every day - for years.
8k is a gimmick because there is no 8k content out. I would honestly not spend extra money on 8k anything (maybe in 10 years from now though)

As much as I love OLED, I would say first evaluate your room. If there is a lot of bright, natural light, windows etc, get the samsung Qled I mentioned above ^ which is their top 4k model
Samsung has a discount program if you meet the requirements https://www.samsung.com/us/shop/discount-program/
Thanks for the info on the discount. I would qualify, but it doesn't cover the QN90A.

Yeah, the burn-in isn't really as big a factor as the natural light in my living room with reflections and the overall brightness of the TV. I know the picture is better overall on the OLED, but I think the QN90A is close enough to make me happy. Right now I'm just waiting on the bigger sale again from Bestbuy.

Honestly think burn-in is a thing of the past. Only worry would be if you maybe watch a lot of news or other programs with a static banner - for literally hours a day, every day - for years.
8k is a gimmick because there is no 8k content out. I would honestly not spend extra money on 8k anything (maybe in 10 years from now though)

As much as I love OLED, I would say first evaluate your room. If there is a lot of bright, natural light, windows etc, get the samsung Qled I mentioned above ^ which is their top 4k model
Samsung has a discount program if you meet the requirements https://www.samsung.com/us/shop/discount-program/
My brother has a LG E6 and it has bad burn in because he watches news channels a lot and it's only 4-5 years old but the burn in happened maybe 2 years ago so it only took 2-3 years. I'll never have that problem because I don't watch the news.

8K will be good for 4K 3D. From what I heard several years ago, they are waiting for glasses free 3D before they bring it back and it would be on an 8K tv. Fun fact, if you had an HD 3D tv then whenever you watched something in 3D it wasn't 1080P, it's goes down to 540P for each image but if you have 4K 3D tv like I do then it gets to be 1080P 3D because of the extra resolution. That's why I say 8K will be good for 4K 3D though I wonder if that would change with glasses free.

My brother has a LG E6 and it has bad burn in because he watches news channels a lot and it's only 4-5 years old but the burn in happened maybe 2 years ago so it only took 2-3 years. I'll never have that problem because I don't watch the news.

Honestly lg e6 is ancient compared to tvs now. A lot of it is under the hood, but Improvements happen as such a rapid pace that a tv that came out in 5 years ago is not comparable to a tv today. Technology improves and progresses that fast.

That's why I say 8K will be good for 4K 3D though I wonder if that would change with glasses free.

I wouldn't buy a tv on a hope that maybe sometime down the road in the future 8k might possibly, one day sorta would be used for something. Right now it is a gimmick, and if or when actual 8k content, or a use for it materializes years from now, that 8k tv you bought this year will be way behind those new, modern 8k tvs

Honestly lg e6 is ancient compared to tvs now. A lot of it is under the hood, but Improvements happen as such a rapid pace that a tv that came out in 5 years ago is not comparable to a tv today. Technology improves and progresses that fast.

I wouldn't buy a tv on a hope that maybe sometime down the road in the future 8k might possibly, one day sorta would be used for something. Right now it is a gimmick, and if or why actual 8k content or a use for it materializes years from now, that 8k tv you bought this year will be way behind those new, modern 8k tvs
At the time the E6 was the best tv out there but mainly because it had 3D and let me tell you, it's just as good if not better than Imax 3D. I only have the C6(it's curved) but I love it. I also don't mind wearing the glasses. I wasn't suggesting anyone should buy an 8K tv. In fact, I was giving the only reason I would ever get one. In order to get the benefit of 8K you have to sit real close to it so I don't see the purpose behind it. It might be good for movie theaters.

Thanks for the info on the discount. I would qualify, but it doesn't cover the QN90A.

Yeah, the burn-in isn't really as big a factor as the natural light in my living room with reflections and the overall brightness of the TV. I know the picture is better overall on the OLED, but I think the QN90A is close enough to make me happy. Right now I'm just waiting on the bigger sale again from Bestbuy.

I don't know too much about the program, but maybe there are more items available after you sign up for the program?

I have a friend that was asking me about TVs and first thing I asked was him to send me a picture of his room where he would have it. Took one look at all that natural light he had and crossed out OLED hah. I think very highly of the QN90a, and samsung did a much better job this year vs last year. Last year their top 4k QLED only had like 480 dimming zones, this year they bumped it to 790-ish with the Qn90a. Combine that with an improved algorithm and the dark scene bloom is drastically reduced vs their model from last year

I don't know too much about the program, but maybe there are more items available after you sign up for the program?

I have a friend that was asking me about TVs and first thing I asked was him to send me a picture of his room where he would have it. Took one look at all that natural light he had and crossed out OLED hah. I think very highly of the QN90a, and samsung did a much better job this year vs last year. Last year their top 4k QLED only had like 480 dimming zones, this year they bumped it to 790-ish with the Qn90a. Combine that with an improved algorithm and the dark scene bloom is drastically reduced vs their model from last year
Is that that same thing as nits? 790 would be nice in my tv, it's the only problem I have with it. The E6 is much brighter than the C6 but mine does do some things as good if not better than the E.

I wasn't suggesting anyone should buy an 8K tv. In fact, I was giving the only reason I would ever get one. In order to get the benefit of 8K you have to sit real close to it so I don't see the purpose behind it. It might be good for movie theaters.

Ah okay. It is hard to say what might be a few years from now. So the way I originally read it (getting one now for that future possibility that might not materialize) seemed kind of funny to me.

Ah okay. It is hard to say what might be a few years from now. So the way I originally read it (getting one now for that future possibility that might not materialize) seemed kind of funny to me.
Yeah I'm not crazy, or at least not that crazy. It would be kind of hard to buy a tv that does not have a function that has to be built in and hope it gets an upgrade.

Is that that same thing as nits? 790 would be nice in my tv, it's the only problem I have with it. The E6 is much brighter than the C6 but mine does do some things as good if not better than the E.

In this case, 790 are the number of leds that the tv has. The higher the number, the better the contrast between light and dark scenes. You'll also have less blooming with more dimming zones.
here is an image I found
062320_ask_sv_local-dimming.jpg

The image on the left would be what you would view, image on the right is a representation of the clusters of dimming zones turning on/off. The more dimming zones you have, the better contrast you have.

here is an image comparing Samsung's top 4k QLED model last year vs their QN90a. The exposure is blown way out, but you can visually see a difference between the bloom having 480 zones vs 790. There is much less "halo" effect bleeding into the dark areas (on OLED there would be 0 bloom)

hEnuW71.jpg

In the case of the Samsung, the number 790 is not specifically about nits but it is kind of related to nits. Because those little leds also light up the panel, which in turn is where you get your nits value. Nits is not a static number either, it depends on the scene. Typically LED tvs have higher nits overall and thus peak brightness vs OLED, all of which helps if your room has a lot of natural light/windows in the room

I don't know if this is all tv's or just OLED's but each pixel has 4 sub pixels I believe but the perfect blacks is because they just turn off the right ones.

Nits is basically the measure of peak brightness. The LG C1 peaks out at about 750 nits and the E6 about 700, whereas the QN90A is around 1800. It's stunningly brighter, which makes a big difference when watching HD content, if you're in a brightly lit room or just have bad eyesight like myself.

The Q90A (4k, probably) is the one that I've been looking at, either the 65" or 75", depending on my budget. I think that there is about $1000 difference between the two.
Thanks to both you and Zztop for the info...

We bought a 55” Q90T after our last Samsung 4K died after about 3 years.

I can’t really say how common this is across brands, but I’ve learned all about dirty screen effect with the Q90. I was used to led backlighting uniformity issues, but didn’t really expect it at this price point and what I thought I knew about QLED.

It wasn’t glaringly obvious but once I noticed it, I couldn’t unsee it. My wife doesn’t care and I think a lot of people probably wouldn’t be bothered. It’s really only noticeable under certain picture conditions and football and 4K content look great, so I can live with it. Just something I wish I knew going in.

I do think this is probably the last time I’ll spend a lot on a Samsung TV and will look to other brands.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom