Watching Football on TV (LED/OLED) (1 Viewer)

Labor Day is Sep 6. That's what I'm waiting on to buy new furniture. Maybe they'll have a sale then?

So, I've narrowed down my potential picks to the QN90A, A80J, or the C1. For now, I'm leaning to the Sony, although I'm definitely open to either of the other 2. They're all in the same ballpark price-wise.

I am thinking about buying through Best Buy instead of Amazon. I don't know if their return policies are comparable, but Amazon has been pretty good about accepting returns and exchanges without much hassle. I assume Best Buy is similar. I just kind of like the idea of being able to go to the store if I have an issue.

I might go to Best Buy here and let the wife have a look see as well before we make a purchase.

it seems like there are no good sales at the moment since they're priced nearly identical between Amazon and Best Buy. So I may wait for a good sale comes around before pulling the trigger.

Screenshot_20210820-083557_Amazon Shopping.jpgScreenshot_20210820-083658_Amazon Shopping.jpgScreenshot_20210820-083749_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Is the new ATSC 3.0 tuner important in your decision? I know that the Samsung has it, but I'm not sure about the other two?

Is the new ATSC 3.0 tuner important in your decision? I know that the Samsung has it, but I'm not sure about the other two?
It's not a must, but would be nice to have. I imagine the Sony/LG will provide that with a firmware upgrade down the road...hopefully.

So, I've narrowed down my potential picks to the QN90A, A80J, or the C1. For now, I'm leaning to the Sony, although I'm definitely open to either of the other 2. They're all in the same ballpark price-wise.

I am thinking about buying through Best Buy instead of Amazon. I don't know if their return policies are comparable, but Amazon has been pretty good about accepting returns and exchanges without much hassle. I assume Best Buy is similar. I just kind of like the idea of being able to go to the store if I have an issue.

I might go to Best Buy here and let the wife have a look see as well before we make a purchase.

it seems like there are no good sales at the moment since they're priced nearly identical between Amazon and Best Buy. So I may wait for a good sale comes around before pulling the trigger.

As much as I love OLED it really comes down to what fits your room better and when you watch tv the most. Say if mostly in the evening, this issue with natural light would not be an issue. My friend is debating these same models, and I told him even if all prices were equal I'd still say QN90a over the others - because of his room. The only OLED I maybe would recommend for him is if he got a 77 inch OLED, because the larger the screen, the brighter the panel. He has a sliding glass door not too far from his wall with the tv, and some overhead skylights - I just think it would be too much natural light and would have reflections galore. All tvs will have glare, but a brighter panel combats this better. I believe Best buy has a 15 day return window. If you have a costco membership I think they have 90 day return policy + some complementary extended warranty. Either way it is going to be a birch repackaging a large tv to return. Display models in the stores are cranked up to max brightness usually. This is nowhere close to what it might look like in your room, plus the lighting is completely different in a store vs house.

Qn90a, A80j, A90j, C1, G1 all have atsc 3.0

As much as I love OLED it really comes down to what fits your room better and when you watch tv the most. Say if mostly in the evening, this issue with natural light would not be an issue. My friend is debating these same models, and I told him even if all prices were equal I'd still say QN90a over the others - because of his room. The only OLED I maybe would recommend for him is if he got a 77 inch OLED, because the larger the screen, the brighter the panel. He has a sliding glass door not too far from his wall with the tv, and some overhead skylights - I just think it would be too much natural light and would have reflections galore. All tvs will have glare, but a brighter panel combats this better. I believe Best buy has a 15 day return window. If you have a costco membership I think they have 90 day return policy + some complementary extended warranty. Either way it is going to be a birch repackaging a large tv to return. Display models in the stores are cranked up to max brightness usually. This is nowhere close to what it might look like in your room, plus the lighting is completely different in a store vs house.

Qn90a, A80j, A90j, C1, G1 all have atsc 3.0
Well, aside from 15-30 minutes of news, I seldom watch TV during the day unless there's a sporting event on the weekend afternoons. Everything else is at night.

That said, there is a lot of light during the day. My current Sony LCD is plenty bright enough even though it's 12 years old. So I'm hoping whatever I get is on par in terms of brightness. I really don't want to go beyond 65 inches. I think that's more than enough for the size living room we have.

I guess I'll just go pick one up at Best Buy and see how it does. I suppose I can always exchange it, but hopefully not too hard to pack it up. We'll see.

I think I'll start with the Sony. If I don't like it, then try the Samsung.

Looks like there has been a small price drop on these (if anyone is in the market):

Amazon product ASIN B08V3PVDLB
Am I not supposed to post links? (it was an Amazon link)
That's the QN85. Seems like a decent price, but I think I'll stick with the 90. I haven't bought one yet. Might wait til a little closer to the end of the year.

That's the QN85. Seems like a decent price, but I think I'll stick with the 90. I haven't bought one yet. Might wait til a little closer to the end of the year.
You are correct. I didn't notice that. Good catch! I'm waiting on the 90A, also.

I believe that currently the 65 inch Q90a is $1600 if you can sign up for the discount program

Samsung only has a 1 year warranty, but I believe before adding to cart, the website presents a few options for people to add something called "Samsung Access for TV" seemingly for free, which includes, but isn't limited to:
Samsung Care+ is included, protects your TV for any electrical or mechanical breakdowns for 3 years
more info about it here: https://www.samsung.com/us/shop/access/tv/

I looked into this a little bit, but not in too much detail. It looks to be you sign up for financing via samsung/TD Bank, and pay a monthly amount over 36 months totaling the cost of the tv $44.44 x 36 months). By doing so you get this samsung access for free. The monthly amount comes out to be the same cost at $1,599 which is interesting to me (often something paid in monthly installments tend to come out to be more expensive, but not in this case). A credit check/pull will happen, since it is financed, but seems like a good deal for the added warranty. I just don't know what samsung gets out of this, by essentially giving you 0% apr and 3 year extended warranty for no added cost to the buyer.

For people that don't want to jump through all those hoops, costco is selling it for $1,999 and has a 90 day return period, 30 day price match policy and if you use a costco branded credit card they add 4 years of warranty for free

to me this is the best retail deal - if a person has a costco around and membership

The best time to buy a tv is right before the Super Bowl.

depends on what you are looking for.

fall season: black friday/cyber monday - usually deals on all brands, sizes, tiers

winter season: christmas/new years - usually deals on budget tvs (under $600)

super bowl: budget/cheap tvs with large screens

Large tv brands attend CES in January each year to promote their new upcoming models, they tend to launch new models in the spring/ early summer, so look to amazon prime day to see closeout prices on the previous year's flagship models

There's my cue. :yes:

Edit: At that price point, I'd be surprised if they can keep it in stock for long.

the costco ad says "limit 3" but I'm not sure if that means 3 per store or 3 per purchase
also note costco has it listed as A80CJ but they do that to avoid pricematching so they can say it is different than A80J

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom