Watching Football on TV (LED/OLED) (1 Viewer)

I wouldn't pay that for a 50 inch, when you can get the 65 inch TCL R646 for $1300. It is almost as good as a Qn90a (at least in image quality - might get beat in other metrics like gaming and viewing angle, I didn't look)
I have very specific needs unfortunately. the space I have for the TV is very limited and a 50" is the max I'll go without having to remodel or rearrange in a manner that just isn't practical. Also, the space is relatively small and well-lit with windows from the side, so wide viewing angles, good reflection handling and brightness are a must. I would prefer not paying $1300, but I want that kind of quality in a TV that I plan on having for the next 5-10 years.

I have very specific needs unfortunately. the space I have for the TV is very limited and a 50" is the max I'll go without having to remodel or rearrange in a manner that just isn't practical. Also, the space is relatively small and well-lit with windows from the side, so wide viewing angles, good reflection handling and brightness are a must. I would prefer not paying $1300, but I want that kind of quality in a TV that I plan on having for the next 5-10 years.

Thats rough. It might not matter since I guess you're sitting closer, but the 50 inch model doesn't have the ultra wide viewing angle filter that the 55+ units have

Thats rough. It might not matter since I guess you're sitting closer, but the 50 inch model doesn't have the ultra wide viewing angle filter that the 55+ units have
According to Samsung the only TV with the Ultra Wide Angle layer is the 85." All of the rest, including the 50", have the Wide Viewing Angle layer. You can see it here:

If I spent $1200 on a T.V. my ol'Lady would absolutely cut my nuts off and stuff them down my throat.
LOL, I spent close to that much on a 32" Sharp Aquos many years ago when those were one of the best around. Now I can get a 65" for less than that & blow my 32" out of the water. Still, the difference in quality between that 65" and the 50" I'm looking at is pretty significant.

You've got to stand up to her! I tell my wife how it is and am free to sleep on the couch at anytime.
Sir....My wife is the meanest red headed Irish woman you ever would meet. She stands 6'-00" and weighs in at 135lb. and packs a punch like Rhonda Rousey. When she says, "NO" I can assure you it means ,"NO". Thank you for your kind words; but to be honest if I came home with a $1200 T.V I would not wake up from the couch.

Been married to her for 35 years and love her deeply....

According to Samsung the only TV with the Ultra Wide Angle layer is the 85." All of the rest, including the 50", have the Wide Viewing Angle layer. You can see it here:

we must be seeing different things because I checked each one and:

the 55, 65, 75, 85 are listed as "Ultra Viewing Angle"

the 50 does not have "Ultra Viewing Angle" only "Wide Viewing Angle"

edit: you were looking at https://www.samsung.com/sg (I think this is for Singapore)
I was looking at https://www.samsung.com/us

we must be seeing different things because I checked each one and:

the 55, 65, 75, 85 are listed as "Ultra Viewing Angle"

the 50 does not have "Ultra Viewing Angle" only "Wide Viewing Angle"

edit: you were looking at https://www.samsung.com/sg (I think this is for Singapore)
I was looking at https://www.samsung.com/us
Ah, that's wierd cuz I definitely ain't in Singapore. :LOL:

Anyway, the Wide Viewing Angle is more than sufficient for the 50." I've seen the TV in the store and it looks awesome from any angle. Not OLED, mind you, but still really great. The reasons why I'm not going with OLED are dimness by comparison, reflection handling by comparison & longevity. The QLED tops the OLED in all of these areas which all are important to me. I'm willing to sacrifice a small bit of degradation off-angle and small bit of contrast for those facets.

Ah, that's wierd cuz I definitely ain't in Singapore. :LOL:

Anyway, the Wide Viewing Angle is more than sufficient for the 50." I've seen the TV in the store and it looks awesome from any angle. Not OLED, mind you, but still really great. The reasons why I'm not going with OLED are dimness by comparison, reflection handling by comparison & longevity. The QLED tops the OLED in all of these areas which all are important to me. I'm willing to sacrifice a small bit of degradation off-angle and small bit of contrast for those facets.

I had to triple check b/c I thought my info was wrong hah
Yeah theres definitely cases in favor of LED. As much as I love OLED, I couldn't tell my friend to get one b/c he has a sliding glass door next to his tv room, so its very bright with natural sunlight. I tried to give him the pros and cons of each technology, but trying to nudge him towards the Qn90a since I think it would be better suited for his environment.

I had to triple check b/c I thought my info was wrong hah
Yeah theres definitely cases in favor of LED. As much as I love OLED, I couldn't tell my friend to get one b/c he has a sliding glass door next to his tv room, so its very bright with natural sunlight. I tried to give him the pros and cons of each technology, but trying to nudge him towards the Qn90a since I think it would be better suited for his environment.
Best thing to do is have him do a side-by-side comparison at the store and see for himself that the Qn90a really does look every bit as good as an OLED for the very large majority of content. That's what it finally took for me to decide. Some things it looks better, some things not as good, but unless you've specifically got a rock for star fields showing every single star then you really can't tell much difference. Certainly if you're not an expert who makes his living off of grading TVs. The funny thing is more times than not, you won't even know what you're missing from the other TV. You'll just look at it & it will be stunning.

could be worse. I just saw that it's on sale for the same price on amazon but earliest delivery is Oct 20th!
Make sure you have space to fit it in your vehicle, the box is about 5 feet long by 3 feet wide
Costco website says price is good til Oct 24th
So...I pulled the trigger on the A80CJ at Costco. Picked it up at Costco a couple of days ago and I gotta say, I'm really happy with it so far. They have a robust list of built in apps. The picture looks great! I am tending to watch on the vivid setting so far, although I do think I might tweak it just a slight bit. I do need to reroute the surround sound though. It is set up with my devices plugged into the surround receiver, but with all of the slots filled, I'll probably have to run something through the TV then TV through the receiver. I'll probably tinker with it tomorrow morning.

I gotta say, going from a 48 inch I've had for 10 years, to this 65 inch is almost jarring. But in a good way. I know Samsung and LG have gotten a lot of market share over the years, but I have had good luck with Sony products over the years, so I wasn't ready to make a switch. Now I really, really want a PS5, lol.

So...I pulled the trigger on the A80CJ at Costco. Picked it up at Costco a couple of days ago and I gotta say, I'm really happy with it so far. They have a robust list of built in apps. The picture looks great! I am tending to watch on the vivid setting so far, although I do think I might tweak it just a slight bit. I do need to reroute the surround sound though. It is set up with my devices plugged into the surround receiver, but with all of the slots filled, I'll probably have to run something through the TV then TV through the receiver. I'll probably tinker with it tomorrow morning.

I gotta say, going from a 48 inch I've had for 10 years, to this 65 inch is almost jarring. But in a good way. I know Samsung and LG have gotten a lot of market share over the years, but I have had good luck with Sony products over the years, so I wasn't ready to make a switch. Now I really, really want a PS5, lol.
Try plugging the receiver into the eArc hdmi input. On my setup, everything that's plugged into the tv goes through the receiver and I don't have to switch inputs on the TV. It also frees up other inputs on the receiver.

Try plugging the receiver into the eArc hdmi input. On my setup, everything that's plugged into the tv goes through the receiver and I don't have to switch inputs on the TV. It also frees up other inputs on the receiver.
Will check that out, thanks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom