Watching Football on TV (LED/OLED) (1 Viewer)

the costco ad says "limit 3" but I'm not sure if that means 3 per store or 3 per purchase
also note costco has it listed as A80CJ but they do that to avoid pricematching so they can say it is different than A80J
Was that a Costco ad you saw?

I'd order one now at that price, lol.

So I know the Sony/Costco sale is coming soon, and then there's the LG version on Amazon which just dropped (like this morning or last night). It's $1899 at the moment, so pretty good sale price. 14% drop. I'm still waiting for the Sony though which will apparently be $1799. I just hope they have some in stock.

So I know the Sony/Costco sale is coming soon, and then there's the LG version on Amazon which just dropped (like this morning or last night). It's $1899 at the moment, so pretty good sale price. 14% drop. I'm still waiting for the Sony though which will apparently be $1799. I just hope they have some in stock.

That Lg c1 is selling for the same price at costco as well.
There is an additional promo that gives you a $100 "streaming credit" https://entertainment.lg-promos.com/tvoffer/en-US that you can use on a variety of streaming services so essentially on par with the $1799 Sony.

I know that not everyone has access to costco, but (if) they do, they have a superior warranty, especially if using the costco credit card, which would bump the standard 1yr warranty to 4.

Sony doesn't have a lot of the US marketshare, so it probably flies under the radar a bit. I wouldn't worry about it selling out. Off the top of my head Samsung has around 35% of the US market, LG has around 20% and sony around 10%, the rest is made up of other companies like vizio, tcl, hisense etc

And speaking of TCL, it appears that their newest model the R646 is the best bang for the buck budget LCD tv of the year. From the head-to-head comparison review with the Qn90a, I'd say (in terms of image quality) it's about 90% of a Samsung Qn90a, but the TCL comes in at $1300. Maybe by Black friday it will drop to $1k

That Lg c1 is selling for the same price at costco as well.
There is an additional promo that gives you a $100 "streaming credit" https://entertainment.lg-promos.com/tvoffer/en-US that you can use on a variety of streaming services so essentially on par with the $1799 Sony.

I know that not everyone has access to costco, but (if) they do, they have a superior warranty, especially if using the costco credit card, which would bump the standard 1yr warranty to 4.

Sony doesn't have a lot of the US marketshare, so it probably flies under the radar a bit. I wouldn't worry about it selling out. Off the top of my head Samsung has around 35% of the US market, LG has around 20% and sony around 10%, the rest is made up of other companies like vizio, tcl, hisense etc

And speaking of TCL, it appears that their newest model the R646 is the best bang for the buck budget LCD tv of the year. From the head-to-head comparison review with the Qn90a, I'd say (in terms of image quality) it's about 90% of a Samsung Qn90a, but the TCL comes in at $1300. Maybe by Black friday it will drop to $1k
So, the Sony is competitively priced at Amazon and Best Buy as well. I wanted to go to the Costco store to pick one up, but it's delivery only. Costco does have the advantage of the promotional warranty tho. With BB, for $50 more than Costco, you can pick it up at the store. Costco won't deliver until Oct 7, apparently...meh. Haven't decided just yet.

Edit: Reading the fine print on the Costco website, it states item may be available at local warehouse, so I'm probably gonna head over there later today to see if they have it in the store.

Last edited:
Approximately how far do you sit from the tv? Have you adjusted any of the standard settings?
I'd say we sit probably around 10-12 feet from the TV, maybe?

I basically just copied all of the RTINGS QN90a settings. Even if they aren't perfectly calibrated for my room, it's pretty much close enough. Colors look spot on.

Not all TVs are created equal. For instance…some LED are better than OLED/QLED. Bigger isn’t always better. Know your needs if your room has a ton of light be careful about TVs putting off too much glare. If you do lots of night time TV watching make sure the TV has good contrasts of darks. Also…if you have a big family with lots of seats make sure that the peripheral viewing is good. A curved TV helps, but even between curved and non curved TVs there are differences.

Ultimately, know your needs and price point. There are a number of very good TV testing/review websites. I like rtings.com

So, the Sony is competitively priced at Amazon and Best Buy as well. I wanted to go to the Costco store to pick one up, but it's delivery only. Costco does have the advantage of the promotional warranty tho. With BB, for $50 more than Costco, you can pick it up at the store. Costco won't deliver until Oct 7, apparently...meh. Haven't decided just yet.

Edit: Reading the fine print on the Costco website, it states item may be available at local warehouse, so I'm probably gonna head over there later today to see if they have it in the store.

could be worse. I just saw that it's on sale for the same price on amazon but earliest delivery is Oct 20th!
Make sure you have space to fit it in your vehicle, the box is about 5 feet long by 3 feet wide
Costco website says price is good til Oct 24th

Best Buy is still holding tight on the price for the 50" QN90A at $1399.99, which is $100 off retail. Hoping to see another drop there soon.

could be worse. I just saw that it's on sale for the same price on amazon but earliest delivery is Oct 20th!
Make sure you have space to fit it in your vehicle, the box is about 5 feet long by 3 feet wide
Costco website says price is good til Oct 24th
Helps that I have a minivan, yeah. :9:

I can pick on up at Best Buy right now if I really wanted to, hah. Probably gonna try the local Costco first.

Best Buy is still holding tight on the price for the 50" QN90A at $1399.99, which is $100 off retail. Hoping to see another drop there soon.

I wouldn't pay that for a 50 inch, when you can get the 65 inch TCL R646 for $1300. It is almost as good as a Qn90a (at least in image quality - might get beat in other metrics like gaming and viewing angle, I didn't look)

Costco does have the advantage of the promotional warranty tho.

so the thing about these 3rd party warranties is.. some of them aren't that great (if) you ever have to use it. Theres some online stores that offer similar prices, or maybe slightly cheaper, and come with 3 year extended warranty via 3rd party. That might seem great on the surface, except some of these 3rd party warranty services are awful to work with. One of these is CPS, and I did some digging and read some not-so-encouraging testimonials by users trying to get a repair or replacement through them.

This bonus warranty offered by costco is through allstate, which I don't know much about other than it is probably handled by squaretrade b/c a few years ago allstate bought squaretrade. Checking the BBB page about allstate protection plan has a link to squaretrade website.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom