What are you reading? (2 Viewers)

Sandman

Trustworthy
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Thought I would start a thread about books we have read, are currently reading, or plan to read. I am always looking for good suggestions for books (Goodreads and such). I thought I would see what y'all are reading.

I'll start. I just finished reading I am Watching You (mystery), and I am reading Dan Brown's new book Origins. I am also listening to Anna Karenina on audiobooks (I have a long commute, so this is how I am passing that time).

I am Watching You is good, and a fairly easy read. I am only a few chapters into Origins, but it is good so far.

Anna Karenina is really good, but it is extremely long. I am about a 1/3 of the way through it. It is my "large book" that I want to knock out this year. Last year, it was the Count of Monte Cristo. Great story, but it was really long.

So, what are y'all reading? Any particular genre you prefer?

zeetes

yo’ robbie fordz fo lyfe
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
i just finished: brave new world, by aldous huxley.

i don’t understand how this book has had any love from anyone.

it did not entice me at all. it was boring, repetitive, and just not a great read.

maybe if my expectations were low, i would enjoy this. otherwise, i really wanted to enjoy it, but instead, i forced myself to finish.

next book is “we” by yevgeny zamyatin, and i truly hope it isn’t as repetitive as brave new world.

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
read that when it first came out - truly fascinating research/read
seems we'd be a much more chill culture if the Council of Nicaea had gone differently
yes, it kind of seems like we shunned everything that felt intuitively right about Jesus teachings and turned it into a structure for control, and yet it endured. I have come around to think it at least possible that Issa was our savior.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
yes, it kind of seems like we shunned everything that felt intuitively right about Jesus teachings and turned it into a structure for control, and yet it endured. I have come around to think it at least possible that Issa was our savior.
yup, we gave up spiritual teachings for a very effective bureaucracy

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Having signed up for kindle unlimited, I've started reading more and more again. I've got 5 books and one graphic novel downloaded right now and just returned one of the Hellboy comics. But, I'm reading The Handmaid's Tale, The Big Book of Serial Killers (which the writing appears to have been done by someone who didn't finish high school, but it's more just about the facts of the cases anyway, so it doesn't need to be great), The Life of Pi (loved the movie - we'll see how much better the book is), A Killer's Mind (only got it because it was suggested and had over 4 *'s in reviews) and You Have the Right to Remain Innocent (quick read about never talking to the police under any circumstances - I read half of it in an hour). Oh yeah, The Colony is the graphic novel I'm reading though it's more of a comic book too. It's about settling Roanoke but apparently fictionalized with some horror. Just finished a Bill Bryson book (like made of paper) but can't think of the title for the life of me. I wish this day would hurry up so I can just read and not have to keep stopping to do work while at work.

Anyone have any recommendations on real graphic novels with some length to them?

gboudx

Not trusting a big butt and a smile since 1990.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Reading "American Radical". The true story of a Muslim FBI undercover agent.

Brennan77

Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I started reading Building a Bridge by Fr. James Martin.
Interesting. I've got Made for Love by Fr. Mike Schmitz on the table right now. I'm finishing the last chapter of a book I've been trying to finish for the last 3 months and this one is next.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting. I've got Made for Love by Fr. Mike Schmitz on the table right now. I'm finishing the last chapter of a book I've been trying to finish for the last 3 months and this one is next.
The paperback is the revised edition. The hard cover is the original. So, I went paper.

gboudx

Not trusting a big butt and a smile since 1990.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

zeetes

yo’ robbie fordz fo lyfe
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
anyone read “locked in” and “head on” by john scalzi?

easy to read, borderline ya. the story, however, is fantastic. i couldn’t stop reading.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
rajncajn Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 6