What are you reading? (1 Viewer)

Sandman

Trustworthy
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Thought I would start a thread about books we have read, are currently reading, or plan to read. I am always looking for good suggestions for books (Goodreads and such). I thought I would see what y'all are reading.

I'll start. I just finished reading I am Watching You (mystery), and I am reading Dan Brown's new book Origins. I am also listening to Anna Karenina on audiobooks (I have a long commute, so this is how I am passing that time).

I am Watching You is good, and a fairly easy read. I am only a few chapters into Origins, but it is good so far.

Anna Karenina is really good, but it is extremely long. I am about a 1/3 of the way through it. It is my "large book" that I want to knock out this year. Last year, it was the Count of Monte Cristo. Great story, but it was really long.

So, what are y'all reading? Any particular genre you prefer?

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm currently rereading The Damnation Game by Clive Barker. It's up there with The Exorcist as far as creepy factor. I believe it would make a great movie if done right.
I think I have a copy of Damnation Game on my nightstand (my pile is so large, I lose track). I've been meaning to read it, so I might have to pick that up soon.

Rickboy

Nom Nom Nom Nom.. me hungry for a SuperBowl
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Back in February, I started reading the entire Dune series. I just finished God Emporer and have started Dune Heretics. Just one more after that. I’m not sure I’ll read the follow up books.

KiwiSaint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
While on a New Year's trip to the East Cape of New Zealand, we stopped by a used book sale in Opotiki and I struck a gold mine. I collect history books and there was a collection from a retired Colonel in the NZ army. Bought ten books for about $20. I'm reading two now and they rank in my top ten WWII military histories..."The Struggle for Europe" by Chester Wilmot and "Defeat into Victory" by Field Marshall William Slim. The former is probably the best one volume history of WWII (focused on Anglo-American operations) that I've read and the latter is an excellent, in-depth account (auto-biographical) of the lesser known campaign in Burma.

Shrimpnose

Selector
Reaction score
Confessions of a Bronx Bookie - Billy O'Connor

Rickboy

Nom Nom Nom Nom.. me hungry for a SuperBowl
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Just finished the last book of the original Dune series, “Chapterhouse Dune”.

Some of these books, in the series, start off kind of slow. This is especially true for “Heretics of Dune” and “Chapterhouse”. However they both pic up the pace midway through and leave you wanting more. Franke Herbert’s son, Brian, wrote several sequels and prequels to his father’s series. I’ve heard that some or good and some are meh.

The entire series is a little under 3000 pages. The original Dune is over 800 pages by itself and a worthy read IMO. “Dune Messiah” is the weakest of the series but is a needed bridge between “Dune” and “Children of Dune”.

I highly recommend the series. Unlike most si-fi books, these do not focus heavily in future tech. They are much more involved with the future politics, personal relationships, and generic evolution of humanity. The politics is done in a way that isn’t dry or boring. There are real reprocussions to decisions made and the impact can last for millennia at times. It’s a damn good read.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Superalloys II - High-Temperature Materials for Aerospace and Industrial Power.

....don't ask.

Maxp

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I recently finished The Mastermind by Evan Ratliff. It is the true story of Paul Calder Le Roux, super nerd, criminal genius, drug lord, murderer, arms dealer, etc. One of the wildest stories I've ever read.

Bayouboy

Football Genius
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I can't remember the thread it was mentioned in (saw it on EE), but I just finished "The Spy and the Traitor" by Ben Macintyre. It was awesome. One of the last chapters read like a fictional thriller. Well done!

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I just started with Pierce Brown's "Dark Age" which is the 5th book in the Red Rising series. It's the longest one so far, coming in at 757 pages. Love this series.

MightyMite

Mightiest of all Mites
Reaction score
Reading 3 (sort of) right now.
Big Game: The NFL in Dangerous Times by Mark Leibovich
“A funny, insightful and fascinating perspective of the league.” —USA Today
Good book. The only problem is that the author is a Pats fan. But still a very good read so far, especially as he despises Goodell as much as we do. It is an expose of the NFL by a fan who is also a journalist.

Alone on the Wall by Alex Honnold & David Roberts
Initially I watched a documentary on Honnold called "Free Solo" on Nat Geo. It was so riveting that I wanted to know more about this unusual free climber. Great book.

Geddy Lee's Big Beautiful Book of Bass
I've been perusing this book for awhile now (the reason for "sort of" above). I normally read digital on my Kindle, but this warranted the full sized hard cover. Very interesting, but more importantly beautiful. Its about half text and half text. Geddy Lee's collection is large and gorgeous. If you have any interest in the history of the Bass, this book is for you.

KiwiSaint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Still in my military history phase (going on 40 years now!). Found a book store here in Melbourne Saturday night that was going out of business and all books were $5 AUD. Picked up 7 volumes and that should be my reading library until Christmas when our household goods arrive from NZ:
The Long Gray Line - Rick Atkinson (The American Journey of West Point's Class of 1966); Prologue was excellent
Gallipoli - Alan Moorehead (As an adopted Kiwi and now Aussie, this is a must read)
Herbert Hoover, A Life - Glen Jeansonne
At War on the Gothic Line, Fighting in Italy 1944-45 - Christian Jennings
Waterloo - Bernard Cornwell
MacArthur at War - Walter Borneman
A History of the French Revolution - ED Bradby

At the risk of more marital strife, I think I may have to go back and see what else is there on the shelves (final closing on Wednesday). She should be happy I am at home reading and not drinking Fosters and chasing Sheilas...:)

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Trustworthy
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Looking for some recommendations. The last few I have read are:

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Silas Marner (Cliff-noted this in high school)
Norse Mythology
All Quiet on the Western Front
A trilogy on Drizz't Do' Urden

Looking for something a little lighter and maybe humorous.

Marty_Graw

Don't Rain on My Parade
Reaction score
Just finished "Never Settle" by Marty Smith (ESPN personality). Good, light read that flows well as is it mostly a collection of short stories and anecdotes. Don't have to "keep the dots connected" all that much.

Currently, re-reading several of Neil Pearts offerings; currently stuck on "The Masked Rider". Book is decent, but I much prefer him as a drummer and lyricist. Just have to continue to keep context on what he was going through during this trek. He gets a bit too "wordy" at times, but I still enjoy the adventure.

Also trying to plod my way through The Art of War (originally by Sun Tzu) & The Prince (Machiavelli). It's a bit of a weird blend of literature, and tough to keep track of if I take too long of a hiatus from it. I have to backtrack quite a bit to reacquaint things that have slipped from the bonds of my ever diminishing memory. It is only 304 pages, but it will likely take me a decade or two to remain focused on it.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
guillermo Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 31

Headlines

Top Bottom