What are you reading? (2 Viewers)

Sandman

Trustworthy
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Thought I would start a thread about books we have read, are currently reading, or plan to read. I am always looking for good suggestions for books (Goodreads and such). I thought I would see what y'all are reading.

I'll start. I just finished reading I am Watching You (mystery), and I am reading Dan Brown's new book Origins. I am also listening to Anna Karenina on audiobooks (I have a long commute, so this is how I am passing that time).

I am Watching You is good, and a fairly easy read. I am only a few chapters into Origins, but it is good so far.

Anna Karenina is really good, but it is extremely long. I am about a 1/3 of the way through it. It is my "large book" that I want to knock out this year. Last year, it was the Count of Monte Cristo. Great story, but it was really long.

So, what are y'all reading? Any particular genre you prefer?

zeetes

yo’ robbie fordz fo lyfe
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Having signed up for kindle unlimited, I've started reading more and more again. I've got 5 books and one graphic novel downloaded right now and just returned one of the Hellboy comics. But, I'm reading The Handmaid's Tale, The Big Book of Serial Killers (which the writing appears to have been done by someone who didn't finish high school, but it's more just about the facts of the cases anyway, so it doesn't need to be great), The Life of Pi (loved the movie - we'll see how much better the book is), A Killer's Mind (only got it because it was suggested and had over 4 *'s in reviews) and You Have the Right to Remain Innocent (quick read about never talking to the police under any circumstances - I read half of it in an hour). Oh yeah, The Colony is the graphic novel I'm reading though it's more of a comic book too. It's about settling Roanoke but apparently fictionalized with some horror. Just finished a Bill Bryson book (like made of paper) but can't think of the title for the life of me. I wish this day would hurry up so I can just read and not have to keep stopping to do work while at work.

Anyone have any recommendations on real graphic novels with some length to them?
asterix and obelix, adventures of tintin.

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Looking at a couple of professional books about math I’m supposed to be reading while rereading Homer Wallins book Pearl Harbor: Why How Fleet Salvage and Final Appraisal Book about the salvage efforts after Pearl Harbor. A nice compliment to Daniel Madsen’s book Resurrection about the same topic.

Joe OKC

"Better Days"
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Looking at a couple of professional books about math I’m supposed to be reading while rereading Homer Wallins book Pearl Harbor: Why How Fleet Salvage and Final Appraisal Book about the salvage efforts after Pearl Harbor. A nice compliment to Daniel Madsen’s book Resurrection about the same topic.
I'd like to read that... Both... How interesting...

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
They actually are really interesting books. Resurrection is probably the more nutty gritty hands on salvage book of them but they are both really good

saintmdterps

I hear music, daylight disc.
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
And those salvaged battleships would have some measure of vengeance during the battle of Leyte Gulf at Surigao Strait

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay

zeetes

yo’ robbie fordz fo lyfe
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
anyone read “locked in” and “head on” by john scalzi?

easy to read, borderline ya. the story, however, is fantastic. i couldn’t stop reading.
i’m reading another by him, the collapsing empire. great so far, if you like sci-fi meets “utopia”.

i also picked up “locked in” on audible sale. all of his books are read by wil wheaton, and he does a great job. listening to him made me appreciate the book even more with his enthusiasm.

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Trustworthy
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Been knocking out a few books to start the year:

Don Quixote-- Every year I start with a large volume book. The first part of the book was better than the second.
The Nightingale-- Very good book. I highly recommend.
Little Fires Everywhere -- Meh.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo-- very good. I recommend.
Anne of Avonlea -- Sequel to Anne of Green Gables. Not as good as AoGG.
The Tattooist of Auschwitz-- Really good. I recommend.

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'll have to try that one. Just read A Head Full of Ghosts and enjoyed it.
Head Full of Ghosts is still my favorite of his. Cabin was good, but not as good as Ghosts, in my opinion.

UndeadSnoopy

Coffin Fresh!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Head Full of Ghosts is still my favorite of his. Cabin was good, but not as good as Ghosts, in my opinion.
I'm currently rereading The Damnation Game by Clive Barker. It's up there with The Exorcist as far as creepy factor. I believe it would make a great movie if done right.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
rajncajn Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 6