Will the 2020 season be canceled? (1 Viewer)

Will the 2020 season be cancelled?

• Yes

• No

• Delayed

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's really hard for me to imagine a scenario where you can allow thousands of random people in one place in less than six-months. Would you want to risk yourself, friends or families in this environment? Yes, I love sports and the economy needs to re-start but sports are not the priority among the other choices.

It's really hard for me to imagine a scenario where you can allow thousands of random people in one place in less than six-months. Would you want to risk yourself, friends or families in this environment? Yes, I love sports and the economy needs to re-start but sports are not the priority among the other choices.

I think most (all?) sports will begin without fans. So much revenue comes from TV dollars and people will tune in by the millions when it’s safe for athletes to compete.

I think most (all?) sports will begin without fans. So much revenue comes from TV dollars and people will tune in by the millions when it’s safe for athletes to compete.

This will have to be how it’s done imo. Question will be, when is it deemed safe for players and coaches, staff etc.

They’re people too, and have families etc.

This will have to be how it’s done imo. Question will be, when is it deemed safe for players and coaches, staff etc.

They’re people too, and have families etc.

Agree completely. They MUST deem it safe. A big part of that will be producing enough tests to make sure they can tests everyone in the general population who needs it THEN moving on to consistently testing athletes. Can’t put lives at risk.

I think it’s more likely that you can keep track/test 100 athletes plus coaches, etc way before tens of thousands of fans. Slowly go back to playing in front of fans.

The NFL is planning to play a full season though it’s uncertain what that will look like.

League spokesman Brian McCarthy said Thursday that since January the 2020 schedule was intended for release after the draft.

It is planned for release by the end of next week, with the date for the kickoff game Thursday, Sept. 10, concluding with Super Bowl on Feb. 7 in Tampa.

But the league is planning several contingencies because of the coronavirus pandemic that could lead to everything from a delayed start to a late-winter Super Bowl..........

I think it’s gonna be shortened once a player or staff member tests positive.
It's a virtual certainty that someone connected with the league will test positive for COVID-19 during the season, despite protective measures. The league and the players are not going to waste their time going into this eyes wide shut on the condition that it all comes crashing down if someone tests positive for a virus or there is a spike in public cases. All things considered, that would be worse than not starting up the season at all.

Before the season commences there will be contingencies in place to navigate the range of variables that may present themselves during the campaign. The players know that they may contract COVID-19 whether they play or stay at home. Smart money says that unless a player has known comorbidity risk, he's probably inclined to play rather than sit out the season and make significantly less money this year, or in the case of many players, no money at all. I say probably, because I would imagine we'll see some combination of players decide to sit out the season for various reasons: not wanting to be quarantined from their families; not really needing the money while COVID-19 provides a convenient excuse to take the season off (looking at you Le'Veon Bell); being in a contract year and having the opportunity to go straight to FA in '21 without injury risk; political demonstration/virtue-signalling, ect. Other than that, it's pretty well-known that a lot of these guys live paycheck to paycheck and will be willing to take on a small risk to make ends meet, like so many others have done every single day since the beginning of humanity.

To that end, it's a forgone conclusion that the players, coaches, equipment managers, doctors, staffers, broadcasters, and anyone else who decides to participate will do so of their own free will, and only after signing an iron-clad liability release waiver to hold everyone harmless for whatever risk they are taking to earn a living. And why not? Healthy players at that age have a miniscule risk of dying from this virus no matter where you source your statistics. Nobody is preventing Alaskan crab boats from heading out into the icy northern Pacific over the risks they take, and the US - economically and otherwise - needs football over crab cakes every day of the week and most definitely twice on Sundays.

This is a virus folks.

it is not going to "just quit".

It is here to stay. It will NEVER be "over". No amount of facemasks, social distancing shy of becoming a hermit will change anything. Just like the regular flu or influenza, it will always be around.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom