X41 turtle beach headset(360).. 200 bucks for headphones?!? (3 Viewers)

Go with the Trittons.

Which model?

I had the AX Pro's and they weren't exactly the quality I was hoping for. Me and a friend of mine jumped all over these at the same time, and we both ended up having the same issue, where the mic would cause tons of static (for anyone in your party/game/chat) if you moved a little bit during play.

I've heard some good things about the newer models released after the AX Pro's, but I am still a little skeptical overall.

They better give me a direct link to hearing god's word for 200 bucks.

They better give me a direct link to hearing god's word 200 bucks.

Meh, it's all relative.

Xbox headsets are a subject near and dear to my heart. Since I haven't given an update on my headset search, I will put it here.

My first upgrade was to the X31s. They're pretty good, and I still go back to them now and then when whatever I'm using breaks. However, I don't find them very comfortable, they are only stereo, and they do eat batteries (easily remedied by keeping some rechargeables on hand). Still, I find having all sound through the headset to be very valuable late at night, and Live chat works better through a solid set of headphones.

I got tired of some of the interference and other nagging issues with the X31s, so I continued my search. I avoided the Trittons - mostly because of Mongoose's experience with Live chat bleeding into the center channel. The Astros (A40s) were purported to be top of line around here (OMG $300 LOLROX!!!@!! - I didn't just speak to God, I kissed him!!@!@!). So I got those, and they were very nice - lots of inputs, surround sound (5.1) and very comfortable. But the microphone would quit working after about an hour. I went through a bunch of troubleshooting and trading parts back and forth, but I could never get them to work consistently, and Astro wasn't able to reproduce my problem. They ended up giving me a refund about 2 weeks ago (bought them in July). Tech support was long and painful (twss), but they were pleasant to deal with, and fair, and I got my refund.

So during that mess, I went with a pair of Sharkoons (http://www.amazon.com/Sharkoon-X-Ta...QIC0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288975306&sr=8-1) at the recommendation of Rugger, on here. I have been very pleased with them. Well made, great sound, great controls. They are wired and only accept a toslink connection, but that works for me - I kept the 25' toslink cord I got from Astro. One drawback is that the company is out of Thailand (or something), so good luck getting support. After about a week the little plastic clip popped out of the toslink port, so I couldn't connect to it. I contacted Amazon and they overnighted me a whole new set. Pretty amazing service. I haven't had any problems since then (and they are also PS3 compatible, but I need a really long USB cord).

One drawback is that I have several optical-enabled devices (PS3, DTV, XBOX, AppleTV) - I've put them all on a switch, but that doesn't seem to work with the headphones. I have a suspicion it's related to my extra long optical cable, but I haven't really fooled with it.

I will say that it is really nice having the 5.1 headset, and you CAN hear lots of stuff that you don't hear normally. I'm not sure having 7.1 is going to be a huge improvement over that, but it can't hurt. Having wireless would be nice, but it's also nice not having any issues with batteries or interference. The way my room is set up, the wires don't really present a problem.

Oh, and one other thing. Best Buy has a cheap turtle beach model (MX? or something) for about $20 or $30. I picked that up in Houston to check out, and it is TERRIBLE. Chat in one ear and game in the other. And the ear pieces got warm enough to burn my ears. And super uncomfortable. I returned them in a tangled mess the next day and Bestbuy didn't say anything. Just awful.

Whew.

Which model?

I had the AX Pro's and they weren't exactly the quality I was hoping for. Me and a friend of mine jumped all over these at the same time, and we both ended up having the same issue, where the mic would cause tons of static (for anyone in your party/game/chat) if you moved a little bit during play.

I've heard some good things about the newer models released after the AX Pro's, but I am still a little skeptical overall.

AX 720. I've had them for about 2 months and they are awesome. Not one problem.

I had the Turtle Beach X31's before and I couldn't go a day without fighting with those things.

Go with the Trittons.

And this is what I did. The damage was around 179 bucks..

I wanted something to be able to use completely with PS3 as well so I went with the Trittons.

It's pretty cool, it's like your gaming in the inside of a drum..lol

Hard to say whether it's worth it or not because I haven't tried the cheaper ones. the headphones appear comfortable. The entire system seems really user friendly also.

Would someone please please please make a headset that works? The microphone on my PC Logitech headset went out the other night for no apparent reason (unless I shouted into it). I finally figured out that I could route the microphone function through my webcam, but that was weird.

And now my Sharkoon set has suspiciously stopped working. It's remotely possible that it's operator error (doing it wrong), but I don't see how that could be. This stuff should be foolproof.

The problem with xbox live is that you don't actually have to be in a game to get on. Just anyone can jump on and start spewing crap. At least PS3 requires you to be a gamer.

And I can't find my pants.

Would someone please please please make a headset that works? The microphone on my PC Logitech headset went out the other night for no apparent reason (unless I shouted into it). I finally figured out that I could route the microphone function through my webcam, but that was weird.

And now my Sharkoon set has suspiciously stopped working. It's remotely possible that it's operator error (doing it wrong), but I don't see how that could be. This stuff should be foolproof.

The problem with xbox live is that you don't actually have to be in a game to get on. Just anyone can jump on and start spewing crap. At least PS3 requires you to be a gamer.

And I can't find my pants.

If only you could use blue toof on the XBox 360. :jpshakehead:

Oh, and I have a team of tree surgeons working on your headset problems. I expect a solution shortly after they have run up a large bill for research. In the mean time, I suggest you enjoy some of the various cultural experiences in Waggaman, Violet, Canarvin, Frisoville, Bridge City, Terry Town, South Kenner, Lutcher and Marrero to go with your recent cultural experience in LaPlace.

Yea the x11s are nice. I picked some up last week at gamestop for 70 I think. They are great IMO.

The X11's are just as good and are wired which means that they do not eat batteries. X41's are notorious for destroying batteries.

I know this is nerdy to say but I feel like a real Apache/Havoc/Blackhawk/Hind pilot with my headphones on when I play BC2 lol!

The X11's are just as good and are wired which means that they do not eat batteries. X41's are notorious for destroying batteries.

Not sure if it eats batteries or its just idiot alcoholic gamers like myself,who always forget to turn them off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom