You can't cut Carr next year, so who can fix him? (2 Viewers)

Carr absolutely can be cut. Hes due another 10 million dollar roster bonus in March. The only way he comes back if he takes that 10 million dollar pay cut and we just have to eat 50 million or so instead of 60 million and pushing it off to another year. Rip the band aid off and start paying off his void years now and not prolong this stupidity any longer.

I know we are in the seething stage of the fanbase's relationship with the guy, but he's here next year. We either cut him in 2025 or we restructure him in 2024 and have him even longer.

So let's assume we take a young 1st round QB (probably too much to ask) and Carr starts the season with a new coach. Who can help bring out the best in him? I don't think he's suddenly become a terrible QB after being firmly mid-tier with the Raiders. I definitely think there are other factors at play with the current coaching.

Are there any offensive-minded coaches out there you'd like to see pursued as HC and/or OC? I have no doubt seeing what Sean Payton has done with a completely washed Russell Wilson that it's possible to improve things.

Again, we aren't talking long-term starter. Just as a bridge for a rookie. Who is on your wish list to revamp this system?
Someone from the Shanahan tree.
In this scenario Derek Carr should not be a factor in the decision, the new offensive minded HC and/or OC should be all about the new QB (who wouldn't be drafted at the time of the hire). The hope (and expectation) would be that guy does enough with Carr to make him operate at a mid tier level until the draft pick is ready.
I don't want Carr factoring into (sheet) because he's a bridge QB that whines...even though I know the reality of it, based on what Loomis said is, "he's a future piece" due to his QB age being considered youthful. I think you have to get an offensive minded coach, from the Shanahan tree (they believe in running the FB) and you also have to give them the chance to draft their own QB who can develop in their system.

Sigh, the Raiders didn't bench him for performance last year. They benched him because Josh McDaniels and Brian Zeigler, both of who have since been fired for being about on par with DA, PC and Loomis, were afraid of the injury clause in his contract. I have never seen a player benched because of his contract structure. Ever.

I'm not going to convince you that Carr is the second coming of Brees, but he isn't as bad as we're seeing either. He's been one of the bright spots on one of the most dysfunctional teams in the league his entire career and unfortunately made his way to the Saints at a time when the team has lost it's identity.
The last 3 games before he was benched, the Raiders went 1-2 and he threw 4TD/6INTs on 53% passing. I mean, it was a domino effect. His performance basically told Josh McDaniels that they were probably going to move on from him, so to avoid paying him the injury guarantee and hopefully be a viable trade option, they sat him. But to say that it didn't stem from performance....eh.

Yeah, he doesn't mean "can't be cut" literally. Carr's dead-cap number for 2024 is almost $53M. You "can't" cut him because it's just way to much to eat, it doesn't make any sense.
Whether you cut him after this season or the next, he will be cut with 50 million or so left in dead money. We will have to restructure his contract if hes on the roster next year without clearing much of that dead money anyway.

Just me but if I’m the Bears, go OT and WR with those picks. Give Fields something to work with before you move on
That's what I would do but the Bears are a low rent organization. They'll want a new quarterback to reset the contract. Fields is getting ready to become expensive.

The last 3 games before he was benched, the Raiders went 1-2 and he threw 4TD/6INTs on 53% passing. I mean, it was a domino effect. His performance basically told Josh McDaniels that they were probably going to move on from him, so to avoid paying him the injury guarantee and hopefully be a viable trade option, they sat him. But to say that it didn't stem from performance....eh.
But it wasn't from performance. It was clearly for the reason you stated. If he wasn't moving on from them, he would have continued to start. Sure the numbers weren't great, but that's not all that unusual for a given QB at that point of the season.

I am of the view that we go all in to draft one of the top QB's this year and hire an innovative offensive head coach. We have to keep Carr for '24 so put our future franchise QB under him for a year to learn. First we have to rid ourselves of this staff and I'm still not sure that will happen1
I don’t want Carr’s bad attitude and divisive stink influencing a 1st rd franchise qb draft pick. Does anyone really think a guy like him is going to mentor his replacement?

What ever happened with "chip on the shoulder", "proving your critics wrong", "cowboy/man up", "we against the world", "sticks and stones may break my bones"... ?

"Positivity" is great. It makes a lot of people feel good about things...but then you get punched in the mouth on the field, and no amount of "positive vibes" from discussion boards or YT is going to make you come back from that punch in the mouth.

Myself, I don't want "positive" vibes, I want 2009 vibes, after the Saints lost the last 3 games of the season, after talking heads started talking crap after the Dallas loss, saying how rusty the Saints were going into the playoffs, then after totally demolishing the Cardinals, the coach coming up on live TV saying "so much for being rusty".

I think that is what some refer to as "killer instinct", "mind of a champion". And that starts with the HC.
I believe in all of that. I cant stop remembering that I read (maybe some of you all remember) that Sean would act as an instigator with some players. Saying such things like, "ive heard (insert opponent name) say hes going to dominate you this weekend" And other similar taunts. Then the thought of him constantly reminding the Broncos 70 point blow out. Seans thoughts after that was probably, "now i have all the ammo i need to get this team right". Its also why he took a shot at their ex coach (hackett) at the beginning of the season. When i first heard of him doing these tactics, i thought, wow, hes pretty caddy. But that would be wrong, Sean was creating a competitive environment. (Pitting his team against the opponent subconsciously) I truly think the great coaches know how to push the buttons of their players to get them to perform at their best. For ex: Lutz is terrified of Sean, and the results show it. And this is why im not too high on DA: I think if i were to ask DA, if any of these tactics hold water in his opinion, id think, he'd say nah thats all foolishness, and hed say, these guys are paid to play and they are all professional. And this would be far from the truth. Guys while they are competing are not thinking of a check being mailed to them. They are fighting for their teammates next to them, like war. It would be easy to inherit a probowl roster in all 3 phases and coach them. But how do you coach a mediocre team to be great? I thought Sean was crazy for taking the Denver job, but HE didnt. In his mind, all he needed was leverage, and that 70 point blow out is enough leverage for 10 years. So to comment on your questions about positivity. Positivity from a coach is bad, theres no leverage there. Positivity from the players is also bad, it means they arent being pushed. Positivity from a mediocre team is the worst. But you cant be super negative either as a coach, becasue youre not trying to convince them that they suck, you want to straddle the line to push them. Fan positivity will happen on its own. But overwhelming fan negativity can be counteracting to the messege the coach is trying to send.

Carr absolutely can be cut. Hes due another 10 million dollar roster bonus in March. The only way he comes back if he takes that 10 million dollar pay cut and we just have to eat 50 million or so instead of 60 million and pushing it off to another year. Rip the band aid off and start paying off his void years now and not prolong this stupidity any longer.

I don’t believe cutting Carr in 2024 is mathematically feasible in any manner.

…unless he agrees to pay back signing bonus money, which we know ain’t happening.

The Raiders went from 10-7 with Gruden in 2021 to 6-11 with McDaniels in 2022. Then basically had a player/staff mutiny against McDaniels this year leading to his firing. But sure, let’s lay it all at the feet of Carr.

I’m not even saying he’s good, but at least be honest about his actual history.

What ever happened with "chip on the shoulder", "proving your critics wrong", "cowboy/man up", "we against the world", "sticks and stones may break my bones"... ?

"Positivity" is great. It makes a lot of people feel good about things...but then you get punched in the mouth on the field, and no amount of "positive vibes" from discussion boards or YT is going to make you come back from that punch in the mouth.

Myself, I don't want "positive" vibes, I want 2009 vibes, after the Saints lost the last 3 games of the season, after talking heads started talking crap after the Dallas loss, saying how rusty the Saints were going into the playoffs, then after totally demolishing the Cardinals, the coach coming up on live TV saying "so much for being rusty".

I think that is what some refer to as "killer instinct", "mind of a champion". And that starts with the HC.

This team is so soft that Charmin has sent scientists to Airline to see if they can replicate it for their next line of toilet paper.

I hope that the new coach brings in a great OL coach cause I think that is what will bring out more consistent play from Carr for however long he is in NO. That’s assuming we bring in a decent, consistent play caller too.

The Raiders went from 10-7 with Gruden in 2021 to 6-11 with McDaniels in 2022. Then basically had a player/staff mutiny against McDaniels this year leading to his firing. But sure, let’s lay it all at the feet of Carr.

I’m not even saying he’s good, but at least be honest about his actual history.
Nope. Gruden was 3-2 in 2021, before they S-canned him for being a parochial d-bag. Their scoring offense was nothing great that year, before or after he was fired. And then he looked like hot garbage the next year playing for McDaniels.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom