You can't cut Carr next year, so who can fix him? (1 Viewer)

That's like saying Pete Carmichael is a good OC because Andy Dalton put up similar numbers last year. The fact is that both Pete and McDaniels both haven't done squat since their HOF QBs retired. Besides, Carr's TD% last year in LV was higher than Jones' was in his season with McDaniels or any other season.
McDaniel's led the #6 scoring offense and his TD rate was lower because they were run heavy (#8 in attempts, #8 in yards, #2 in TDs) but the red zone offense was much better. Jones had 7 more touchdowns in 2021 than Carr did in 2022. It seems like Belichick was really going for development because Brady followed the same mold his first 2 seasons as a starter, but I digress.

And crazy enough, Pete is infinitely better this season than he was last. Not saying he is the best by any means or even close to it. He still seems lost situationally, but the plays are way better than what we saw last season.

The Raiders went from 10-7 with Gruden in 2021 to 6-11 with McDaniels in 2022. Then basically had a player/staff mutiny against McDaniels this year leading to his firing. But sure, let’s lay it all at the feet of Carr.

I’m not even saying he’s good, but at least be honest about his actual history.
The Raider Defense, Josh Jacobs, Kicker Daniel Carlson and the MVP of the 2021 season: COVID (as it inexplicably hit teams just as we were facing them in December) got us to 10-7

It wasn’t Carr.

That $53 million literally means he can't be cut. Not only that, but they are going to have to restructure him which could push his cut date beyond 2025.

This is the problem with the Saints cap strategy. It's not that we can't get under the cap. It's the loss of roster flexibility it creates when we push all of the money into void years.
What if they used a post June cut designation?

Carr would be the most expensive clipboard holder the NFL has seen. We now have a nine and a half year sampling of Derek Carr and he is not going to be any better than he is. And that is a below average, non-responsibility taking QB.

This is kind of where I'm at. Nothing about Carr's attitude on the field (off the field he talks the talk just fine) show's me that he's the kind of guy that would be willing to groom his potential replacement. I think he's insecure enough with Winston behind him who up until this year he was thought of by most as clearly the better leader, not necessarily the more talented player but better with the intangibles anyway. Nothing about this season's performance has justified that line of thinking in my opinion. The only thing you can say is he's probably a bit better with ball security.

I say kind of because we have the out in the contract. Since that's there I don't think we should factor Carr into any decisions we make going forward regarding HC and staff hires and who we target in the draft. IF we hire a new staff and that HC/OC combo believes in Carr for whatever reason (and it would make me seriously question their judgement at this point but I'm not a professional coach either) then sure you let the guy make his own bed, but if the guy comes in wanting to go a different direction then it's in our best interest to go ahead and make it happen, whilst allowing them to deal with whatever reaction Carr has to the news. For that matter I think showing the new HC and his staff we have the confidence to trust their decision making regarding how to handle the Carr situation would be a good selling point for our franchise to one of the more currently highly thought of candidates that might have multiple offers on the table. We've seen plenty of franchises marry themselves to players and hamstring their new staff because of it. Whilst we're giving Carr a lot of money, we designed the contract that way for a reason and sure we probably didn't expect it to go this badly but it has so that's how we have to treat it.
I give you the Brett Farve/ Aron Rogers team as proof that the older QB sometimes does not influence the younger ones.

I do agree with that. I was trying to think like ML and/or DA since they would try something with the least amount of actual change to try and fix the issue.
There needs to be a big change. If we go the minimal route, then we are begging to go in reverse. It’s clear our players need a complete change in leadership. We they openly say that they are playing for each other and don’t include coaching, then there is the problem

Sigh, the Raiders didn't bench him for performance last year. They benched him because Josh McDaniels and Brian Zeigler, both of who have since been fired for being about on par with DA, PC and Loomis, were afraid of the injury clause in his contract. I have never seen a player benched because of his contract structure. Ever.

I'm not going to convince you that Carr is the second coming of Brees, but he isn't as bad as we're seeing either. He's been one of the bright spots on one of the most dysfunctional teams in the league his entire career and unfortunately made his way to the Saints at a time when the team has lost it's identity.
So all of a sudden he can’t read his progressions, climb the pocket or lead WRs? These are basic things we are asking a 10 year vet. Sorry if my expectations are higher, I’ll rather a rookie.

So all of a sudden he can’t read his progressions, climb the pocket or lead WRs? These are basic things we are asking a 10 year vet. Sorry if my expectations are higher, I’ll rather a rookie.
Climb the pocket? LOL, what pocket? You think Jahri and Carl are still playing?

There needs to be a big change. If we go the minimal route, then we are begging to go in reverse. It’s clear our players need a complete change in leadership. We they openly say that they are playing for each other and don’t include coaching, then there is the problem

I do agree. I believe in continuity, but I also believe in change when needed and have to deal with people on a regular basis who are okay with the status quo. It's so frustrating. There's too much talent on the roster for the team to be as bad/soft as it is.

What if they used a post June cut designation?
Nah, that only spreads the $52.8 million out over 2 years. The cap is already likely to be $80 million over without doing anything and they have to get under by the first day of the league year in March.

That $53 million literally means he can't be cut. Not only that, but they are going to have to restructure him which could push his cut date beyond 2025.

This is the problem with the Saints cap strategy. It's not that we can't get under the cap. It's the loss of roster flexibility it creates when we push all of the money into void years.

That’s fair, but this isn’t an issue that’s exclusive to the Saints. There are many teams that can’t just cut a guy, and in their case, it’s because it’ll hinder their “one year prism” cap strategy everyone here so desperately seems to want.

Have you ever heard of any team signing a QB to a big deal then cutting them after one year? No, it doesn’t happen with those “healthy” cap teams either.

That’s fair, but this isn’t an issue that’s exclusive to the Saints. There are many teams that can’t just cut a guy, and in their case, it’s because it’ll hinder their “one year prism” cap strategy everyone here so desperately seems to want.

Have you ever heard of any team signing a QB to a big deal then cutting them after one year? No, it doesn’t happen with those “healthy” cap teams either.
It pretty much IS exclusive to the Saints. I don't see any other teams pushing signing bonus money across so many void years. That is something that 9 out of 10 of our most expensive contracts have.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom