You can't cut Carr next year, so who can fix him? (1 Viewer)

I'm not the thread police, so say whatever you want, but all the arguments about whether Carr sucks, always sucked, etc. are irrelevant and missing the point of the thread.

He's here next year. Winston is not. Someone has to start. Even with a first-round rookie, they likely will not be ready to go in week one.

So who can bring in a system that is creative enough to work around his deficiencies and help elevate his game? Carr, no matter how much you think he sucks, is not at his peak with Pete Carmichael coaching him. I think we can all agree with that.

I agree with pulling from the Shannahan tree. I've wanted to run that offense here for the last three years. It fits our personnel perfectly with a complete back like Kamara and Shaheed/Olave as speed guys who can do the sweeps and end-arounds. We would absolutely need to get a TE though, and we have to do that anyway.

It pretty much IS exclusive to the Saints. I don't see any other teams pushing signing bonus money across so many void years. That is something that 9 out of 10 of our most expensive contracts have.

That’s not what I said. I am talking specifically about the QB. We don’t see teams cutting guys after one year because it is cost prohibitive to their one year prism strategy just as it is to our multi-year outlook strategy.

Being saddled by a bad contract isn’t just a Saints problem.

To do what you guys want to do comes with its own whole new set of restrictions and responsibilities.

I do agree. I believe in continuity, but I also believe in change when needed and have to deal with people on a regular basis who are okay with the status quo. It's so frustrating. There's too much talent on the roster for the team to be as bad/soft as it is.
I’ll be honest. Once we decided on 🦌, i believed continuity would be good for our players. That is actually one of the things that 🦌 had going for him and he still managed to screw everything up. My goodness he screwed everything up

That’s not what I said. I am talking specifically about the QB. We don’t see teams cutting guys after one year because it is cost prohibitive to their one year prism strategy just as it is to our multi-year outlook strategy.

Being saddled by a bad contract isn’t just a Saints problem.

To do what you guys want to do comes with its own whole new set of restrictions and responsibilities.
Well, I can't think of another team that is saddled with a bad QB contract right now. Maybe Arizona, but Murray has been injured, so I don't know. I'm not a proponent of cutting Carr regardless. I thought he was a decent mid tier signing at mid tier money. People keep pointing to the $150 mil, but it's really 2 years $60 mill and $10 dead money in 2025. It's not a particularly bad contract for the team if the coaches can put together a cohesive plan on offense.

There’s no fixing Carr at this point, he is what he is at this point in his career… but as you stated, a better HC and coaching staff could play more to his strengths.

Saints should consider a guy like Bobby Slowik from Houston. He played in a hand in the development of Brock Purdy in San Fran, and what he’s done to help CJ Stroud emerge as a rookie in Houston this season is very impressive.

I'm not the thread police, so say whatever you want, but all the arguments about whether Carr sucks, always sucked, etc. are irrelevant and missing the point of the thread.

He's here next year. Winston is not. Someone has to start. Even with a first-round rookie, they likely will not be ready to go in week one.

So who can bring in a system that is creative enough to work around his deficiencies and help elevate his game? Carr, no matter how much you think he sucks, is not at his peak with Pete Carmichael coaching him. I think we can all agree with that.

I agree with pulling from the Shannahan tree. I've wanted to run that offense here for the last three years. It fits our personnel perfectly with a complete back like Kamara and Shaheed/Olave as speed guys who can do the sweeps and end-arounds. We would absolutely need to get a TE though, and we have to do that anyway.
down on Johnson?

Well, I can't think of another team that is saddled with a bad QB contract right now.

Sadly we are the one team currently looking like it’s been bamboozled by a QB, at least to this degree after one year. 🤦🏾‍♂️

That being said, I do see your point, my only contention is just that whiffing on a free agent screws a team no matter what, and if we are refining ourselves to a one year prism cap strategy, then taking a $50m cap hit would be just as painful and restrictive on that one year.

At least with our way, we are spreading the problem out through multiple years and giving ourselves flexibility to do other things by borrowing from future cap years.

It’s not perfect, but just like those other teams, you absolutely cannot afford to whiff on a $140m QB contract. It’s devastating to any team.

It’s easy to say that the strategy doesn’t work when we are having a year like this, but the truth is, on paper, we have a damn fine looking roster. We just keep making bad personnel decisions that backfire with those dollars the strategy provides, not to mention the recent coaching and draft whiffs.

I will expound on the Shanahan take. I’m 100% convinced that he has an assistant that his sole responsibility is to watch film on other teams from that past week and advise him (Shanahan) to incorporate a handful of plays into their own packages the following week. I’ve seen them use plays from the Lions and Dolphins the week after those corresponding teams used them. Pretty great plan, since the opposing teams are watching film on the 49ers, but would not catch on, unless that current opponent had already played the team that the plays are coming from. Genius level stuff.

It’s not perfect, but just like those other teams, you absolutely cannot afford to whiff on a $140m QB contract. It’s devastating to any team.
"but it's really 2 years $60 mill and $10 dead money in 2025."
There is an out long before it gets anywhere close to the full $150m. Only $60 was guaranteed on signing, with another $10 becoming guaranteed March 17 2024.

And I don't think we whiffed so much personally. There weren't any other options and they didn't like what was in the building. No top tier QBs make it to free agency, so mid and bottom tier is all that was available.

I do think we would have been better off with a bottom tier guy like Dalton, Minshew or someone like that. Or simply drafting Haener and letting the Jameis / Hill fiasco fester for another year. But that's totally in hindsight now that it is clear that it doesn't even matter who the QB is, Pete Carmichael was going to screw it up regardless.

I hear ya, I'll stop with the hindsight posts in this thread.

What about a really experienced coordinator with coaching in his blood like Brian Schottenheimer?

Brian Johnson: Eagles OC
Ben Johnson: Lions OC
Crazy as it sounds (Hire Frank Reich to become our OC if DA stays and they demote PC.

That's three off the top of my head right now. But there's more.
No Reich, no more retreads. I'm ok with the Johnsons. Beinimy and Harbaugh add to the list. Harbaugh is just the SOB to put us back together, if we don't have offense you can bet we'll have defense, and hopefully a 3-4 defense.

I don’t bring in a coach to fix Carr, no because I believe he can’t be fixed (I don’t think he can) but Carr is not now or will be the future. To bring in anyone with the visions of fixing Carr is doing a diservice to this franchises future.

You don't have to cut him....you don't have to play him

We have an out (17M dead cap as opposed to 36M on roster) after next year...just eat it, get rid of him. I think he's breaking the locker room just as much as DA is
A few games back certain posters were doggin' out Olave. Maybe Olave is tired a crap passes from a dude with a crap attitude. Carr is most definitely a cancer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom