2024 Tropical Weather Thread (19 Viewers)

I might watch Peyton. When Chris Franklin pops up I check out another station.

I don't recognize anyone on WDSU anymore now that Margaret and Damon are both gone. WVUE is pretty much the go-to, especially now the Bob is gone. As good as Breck was, his constant trek to be Nash Roberts irked the hell out of me.
I like the new guys on Ch 6 and I like their news and sports people. WVUE is my second choice.

I might watch Peyton. When Chris Franklin pops up I check out another station.

I don't recognize anyone on WDSU anymore now that Margaret and Damon are both gone. WVUE is pretty much the go-to, especially now the Bob is gone. As good as Breck was, his constant trek to be Nash Roberts irked the hell out of me.

That's where I was. I started watching Payton Malone on WWL but the rest of their meteorologists are terrible. And I checked out WDSU and didn't recognize any of them and the guy that was on (I don't know his name) seemed terrible and annoying.

Payton Malone on WWL TV also spent a lot of time talking about how the NHC track had the center a good bit west of NOLA, but that there was a model showing a direct hit and since it was on the Eastern edge of the cone it still could happen. He didn't come right out and say it would happen, but he warned that there was a possibility.

But most of the day yesterday WWL just kept talking about the NHC track which you could clearly see was wrong because the storm kept moving east and got to the edge of the cone, still headed East around 2:00 p.m. It was clear to me as an amateur looking at the radar that it was going East and running through the NHC cone, but when WWL had the NHC guy on he talked about the NHC track and then just mentioned maybe it could go a little bit more East than the track shows. When asked about it he just said, everyone in SELA should just know to expect impacts from the storm.

The models give you a general idea, but they really don't know what these things are going to do once they interact with land or get close to the coast. A little jog or stall in motion can change everything. Although this march East done by Francine was pretty dramatically different than what the NHC had been saying to expect.

The other problem is that there really wasn't anything anyone could do about it by the time some of the models shifted. There wasn't time to evacuate people so you just had to stay put and hope for the best. The only other option is for all of SELA to shutdown and evacuate any time a storm gets in the Gulf and that just isn't practical on many levels. If for no other reason, you can't evacuate if your place of employment wants you to be at work.

But it's not like they aren't trying or putting resources into this. Weather is just highly unpredictable and subject to so many variables.

Well, I mentioned it a couple of times yesterday that both WDSU and WWL had the storm coming much closer to the city. The mistake they did, and I think they were scared of screwing up, was they talked about the NHC track for 10 minutes, then 30 seconds covering their forecast. And that’s not acceptable IMO!

Well, I mentioned it a couple of times yesterday that both WDSU and WWL had the storm coming much closer to the city. The mistake they did, and I think they were scared of screwing up, was they talked about the NHC track for 10 minutes, then 30 seconds covering their forecast. And that’s not acceptable IMO!

Yep. WWL mentioned it but just kept coming back to the NHC track. Although I guess in the end, it didn't make much difference at that point since we had to ride it out regardless of the track.

So, here in Folsom at my friend's house, we had some gusts of wind with a ton of rain, but zero flooding. We lost power around 11 pm, fired up the generator, and got power back around 7:30 AM. I just found out that the power is back at my place in da Metrys, so I'll head back after lunch...

Wasn't Camille more Mississippi? I think you want Betsy.
I suppose. Generally think how "easy" tropical systems were on New Orleans in the 1970s-1990s.

I remember the names of some of them that made the local news and DID cause power outages (usually around 12-24 hours at most) and school closures (yay!). Hurricanes Bob and Danny. I forget the exact years ... 1979-82 or thereabouts.

I also remember tropical systems coming through and the neighborhood kids going out to play in the weather (obviously not Cat 3+!). And I don't mean coming out during the eye -- I mean during the wind and rain. Grabbing a big piece of cardboard and your roller skates and "sailing" down the street during gusting winds. Stuff like that.

Used to play in the non-hurricane floods, too (e.g. May 3, 1979). People broke out their flatboats and pirogues (yes, even in the suburbs!). Kid walked around looking for fire ant colonies floating in the water (genius!). Just general dumb stuff.

I suppose. Generally think how "easy" tropical systems were on New Orleans in the 1970s-1990s.

I remember the names of some of them that made the local news and DID cause power outages (usually around 12-24 hours at most) and school closures (yay!). Hurricanes Bob and Danny. I forget the exact years ... 1979-82 or thereabouts.

I also remember tropical systems coming through and the neighborhood kids going out to play in the weather (obviously not Cat 3+!). And I don't mean coming out during the eye -- I mean during the wind and rain. Grabbing a big piece of cardboard and your roller skates and "sailing" down the street during gusting winds. Stuff like that.

Used to play in the non-hurricane floods, too (e.g. May 3, 1979). People broke out their flatboats and pirogues (yes, even in the suburbs!). Kid walked around looking for fire ant colonies floating in the water (genius!). Just general dumb stuff.
I cringe now at how we used to play in those flood waters.

And we were off school for Bob (I think that's the first time I remember school closing for a hurricane) and we laughed and laughed because it didn't even rain and we goofed off all day.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom