Board Games - You should be playing them. Also, April 30th is international tabletop day. (1 Viewer)

seandroog

USFL superstar!
Reaction score
April 30th is international tabletop day, so here goes my annual board game evangelizing. Board games are great, and if you aren't playing with your friends or family you really should be. More and more we're disconnected by video games, TV and online forums. I've found board games to be a great way to spend time with friends, to make new friends and to make family get togethers more interesting.

If anyone would like to know of games I would recommend, please ask. However I can get more to come to the hobby! You'd also be coming in when the hobby is hitting it's stride, some have even called it a "renaissance".

This is BGG's link of games:
https://boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame
BGG tends to rank higher towards the longer games, but if anyone wants any suggestions I'd be glad to give some.

This is a game buying guide from a big game store in seattle, it's a good place to see what you might be interested in:
http://www.snakesandlattes.com/uploads/Holiday2015BoardGameBuyingGuide.pdf

Best two person board games? Preferably not too competitive

Jipur is a strictly 2 player game, plays very fast. It has hand management, so it is a little competitive but I have found it to be relaxing.

Carcassone isn't a 2 player, but it plays very well with 2 players. Very relaxing game.

Patchwork is a must for 2-player non competitive games. The theme of making a quilt looks boring, but it is quite fun.

Battle Line and Lost Cities are two games by the same designer, both are 2 player games that are a bit stressful. Not directly competitive in the sense of a war game but you are trying to beat the other person. They are both brilliant games though.

We love Ticket to Ride, but Alahambra, Perfum, and Settlers are some of the more preferred games.

Any King of Tokyo fans?

King of Tokyo is fun, I've heard King of New York takes the same ideas and adds nicely to them.

Settlers is a great game, but my wife and I played with a couple of friends so much that we have probably overplayed it's welcome.

Is the group known as West Bank Gamers still operating? We played a lot of Settlers and Serenissima back in the late 90s but I moved and lost touch. Great bunch of guys if anybody wants to look them up.

Is the group known as West Bank Gamers still operating? We played a lot of Settlers and Serenissima back in the late 90s but I moved and lost touch. Great bunch of guys if anybody wants to look them up.

Don't live in LA anymore, but you can find meetup events that focus on board games, that's how my friend found a gaming group here in NY.

I've been really into Lords of Waterdeep lately. Really easy to learn but once you get a group that knows what they're doing it takes on many glorious layers of backstabbing, betrayal, and forming alliances with the other players.

We have recently been into Guillotine and Saint Petersburg. Both worth the time (though Guillotine is a card game).

I'm with Sean with regards to Lost Cities and Carcassone, both are very fun games that can be played by just two players.

portal: the uncooperative cake acquisition game

Good times

I've been really into Lords of Waterdeep lately. Really easy to learn but once you get a group that knows what they're doing it takes on many glorious layers of backstabbing, betrayal, and forming alliances with the other players.

I have friends who like this game a lot, but I tend to not like fantasy themed games. I know there's more to it than just worker placement, but the worker placements my group usually gravitates towards are more like Alien Frontiers, Dominant Species or Stone Age. Last will is a neat one if you want to play with a wacky "brewster's millions" theme.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom