Comparing some of Drew Brees's worst games to that of Taysom Hill vs the Broncos (1 Viewer)

I just hope if Taysom doesn't improve and Drew doesn't comeback soon, the D keeps balling and comparisons are between Taysom with the Saints D and 2000 Trent Dilfer with the 2000 Ravens!

Brees didn’t start his career that great at the chargers. He was benched multiple times and then let go. Hill may need time to develop as well.

Time to develop? He’s 30 years old and has been in this offensive system for 3 years lol. I’m not jumping off the cliff after one bad game but let’s not act as if he’s a 23 year old kid just coming into the league.

Brees was behind Flutie for one and a half seasons.

he also was a Pro Bowler and won Comeback player of the year the next two and a half.

And wasn’t 30

Taysom was hot garbage yesterday. He just was. No amount of sugar coating is going to change that, why is it so hard for some to say it?

The game plan was what it should have been- vanilla and low risk. But that doesn’t change the fact that there were opportunities that were missed. Bigly. The 31 points came from a ridiculous number of possessions and three turnovers in their half of the field.

The Saints won yesterday because the defense did what they were supposed to do to a practice squad wide receiver starting at qb- obliterate him. He was only marginally worse than Taysom btw.

this, btw has no bearing on next week or the week after. I, like any sound minded Saints fan, want the team to win. I hope beyond hope that Taysom just had a (REALLY) bad day. Because if that was his normal, he isn’t an NFL QB. Period. But the Saints won so I am good.

If he goes into ATL and wins, I don’t care how he does it. The Saints just need to win. Taysom’s play will either merit being the heir apparent or it won’t. Yesterday it didn’t.

Regardless of whoever takes over for Drew, they won’t fill his shoes.

The big difference is no one would ever question Brees' ability to read and process the field even with San Diego. Sure, he might not have been a for sure future HOFer at the time, but he ability to progress was always there.

This game showed a significant flaw in Taysom's game that's always been there that we were looking to see if there was progression. His ability to understand, process, and attack zone defenses. Atlanta attacked him with man most of the game (C1/C3) and the Saints responded with lots of man beaters and simple reads. This game Denver attacked with zone and Hill was frozen on the pond.

Now, just like one game didn't make him (ATL game was great), one game doesn't break him (DEN was terrible) but stats don't go down into why a QB was bad. Hill cannot be a long term successful answer if he doesn't fix what caused him to fail against Denver.

Sample size folks! Until we have a real and comparable sample size from Taysom... all of this is nonsense. It's been 2 games in relief of Brees. Not even a full off season to focus on the position of QB.... or enough time afterward to really evaluate.

What we are seeing now can give some indicators... but not nearly enough of a sample size to know what we have at this point.

I think it was obvious from the beginning that we weren't going to throw much and that the script for this game was drawn up at the last minute. We didnt even pin our ears back on that WR/QB. We were simply playing to end the game asap. I seriously dont thi k we can take ANYTHING from this game. Good or bad. Let's just take the win and move on to next week and hope that covid doesnt interfere too much the rest of the way.

Sample size folks! Until we have a real and comparable sample size from Taysom... all of this is nonsense. It's been 2 games in relief of Brees. Not even a full off season to focus on the position of QB.... or enough time afterward to really evaluate.

What we are seeing now can give some indicators... but not nearly enough of a sample size to know what we have at this point.

Of course, one game doesn't break him. That said through preseason games and regular season appearances we have seen him struggle with what made him so bad vs Denver, and the Denver game showed no improvement. once again, not enough to throw in the towel on him. But it's very concerning to not see any progression through the years.

The big difference is no one would ever question Brees' ability to read and process the field even with San Diego. Sure, he might not have been a for sure future HOFer at the time, but he ability to progress was always there.

This game showed a significant flaw in Taysom's game that's always been there that we were looking to see if there was progression. His ability to understand, process, and attack zone defenses. Atlanta attacked him with man most of the game (C1/C3) and the Saints responded with lots of man beaters and simple reads. This game Denver attacked with zone and Hill was frozen on the pond.

Now, just like one game didn't make him (ATL game was great), one game doesn't break him (DEN was terrible) but stats don't go down into why a QB was bad. Hill cannot be a long term successful answer if he doesn't fix what caused him to fail against Denver.

If CSP can pull that off then it would be amazing.

Let me know when we run for 220+ yards and nearly shut out the opponent the next time Brees has a clunker.

I see your point but the part about winning the game you should forget about and never use it again as part of the argument to prove this point.

This game the saints won by default, the opponent had no QB.
Yes but we put up 31 points. On a good defense. I would have been thrilled for Aaron Brooks to do that. Drew has spoiled us. Denver is great against the pass don't forget that.

I might be in the minority but I'm not worry about Taysom. The only way yesterday's game would have been close was if we were turning the ball over. The game plan just needed to be (and was) play it safe, get yards where you can, and let the points eventually come to you. Taysom handled that plan just fine. And, if you go check, Taysom played better than Cam Newton yesterday -- an admittedly low bar but a bar nonetheless.

Yes but we put up 31 points. On a good defense. I would have been thrilled for Aaron Brooks to do that. Drew has spoiled us. Denver is great against the pass don't forget that.

An ok defense with no offense at all. All they had to do was keep running since we have a good rushing game and wait for them to get tired and then continue to run some more.

We would have won this game by 30 or more with any backup in the league at QB.

Maybe if it was Aaron Brooks out there he could complete a screen pass to the RB at least once in the game and then the saints could have won by even more.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom