Current Saints 53 man roster after cuts (4 Viewers)

The reality is that it goes further than just depth. The OL is a great example of not having 5 starter level players to fill out the lineup. Another byproduct of "making it happen", but I'm always reminded that kicking the can doesn't have a cost.

They have $12 million in cap space. Had the chose to, they could have signed many more Offensive Linemen. They chose not to. I think it was a mistake, but it had nothing to do with not having the money to do it. If anything they didn't do it because they didn't want to push money into the future.

In addition, I think they should have taken another pick at OL in a draft that was very deep on the OL.

They have $12 million in cap space. Had the chose to, they could have signed many more Offensive Linemen. They chose not to. I think it was a mistake, but it had nothing to do with not having the money to do it. If anything they didn't do it because they didn't want to push money into the future.

In addition, I think they should have taken another pick at OL in a draft that was very deep on the OL.
Agree on all levels. I'm happy they're finally correcting the cap issues. My only point is that this is the cost of kicking the can, and it's not just this year. We have paid in the previous couple of seasons as well, but we are slowly getting there.

Agree on all levels. I'm happy they're finally correcting the cap issues. My only point is that this is the cost of kicking the can, and it's not just this year. We have paid in the previous couple of seasons as well, but we are slowly getting there.

I think it's more the cost of making bad picks in the draft. That and letting Terron Armstead go.

No matter how you handle the cap, you have got to be good at the draft and the Saints have been pretty average at best in the draft. They have some hits in guys like Olave, Adebo, Breese, Taylor, Perry, and hopefully Fuaga. But, Miller and Saldiveri always being hurt, Penning maybe never developing, and missing on Foskey and Turner has been a major issue.

The Penning miss is huge for the OL. Replace him with even a mid-level Tackle and the OL looks much different. Yes, they would still need to figure out LG, but it's a lot easier to figure that out than RT or LT.

Last edited:
Surprised Foskey and Turner made the cut. Guess they can keep each other company in the Tub. It's a bit wierd to keep so many LB and let actual players go at other positions.

RB and DE are also strong units. Kamara and Taysom only between the two of them makes their position very dynamic in the backfield. They’ll likely be 2 of our top 3 productive offensive players as RBs/HBs this season.

DE is a deep group of Granderson, Young, Jordan, and Turner. Granderson and Young are going to have a huge impact in pass rush. Cam Jordan still provides very meaningful snaps as a run defender. At this stage, Cam is an average pass rusher as a full time starting DE but above average-good rusher as DE3. Turner is a good 4th DE. Regardless of injury history, Turner has shown talent and can be impactful as the 4th guy plus upside. The top 3 DEs Carl, Chase and Cam are strong without including Payton Turner.

Majority of other positions are more unknown or average than bad. Only positions that could be truly considered bad is the overall OL depth after Udoh. I think we’ll add a quality depth OL ahead of the Week 1 game.
We were very mediocre last year, both run and pass, and the only addition is Young. Maybe it suffices

Since Taysom is a qb there is no reason to carry three qbs, it’s a waste of a roster spot. One of the young guys should go to the practice squad.

Tali, McCoy and Ruiz are the only starter level players we have. The rest is a crap shoot.

It's a risk for sure, but hopefully the defense and the run game can carry those guys while they develop.

Since Taysom is a qb there is no reason to carry three qbs, it’s a waste of a roster spot. One of the young guys should go to the practice squad.

The Saints brass must think that neither Haener nor Rattler would clear waivers to make it to the Practice Squad. Most here agree.

Even if one of them did make it to the Practice Squad without being claimed by another team, they could still be poached while on the PS by another team.

For the 1st time ever, the Saints have two promising young talented QBs on the roster behind a veteran in which they have the luxury of developing, at least for a year.

Either Haener or Rattler will be a healthy scratch as a gameday inactive. Which one could change from week to week. This could be the tell of which is considered #2.

Taysom has proven to be quite capable but if he were to be limited to just QB it would take away all of his many other roles that he is quite effective at, as only he can.

Surprised Foskey and Turner made the cut. Guess they can keep each other company in the Tub. It's a bit wierd to keep so many LB and let actual players go at other positions.
Admitting u were wrong is what adults do

Turner, at least, has provided some pressure when playing this preseason. I was high on Foskey last year, but he has shown that he's really not a good player. Lalos should have been kept over him, imo. I see Ram is on the PUP, does that mean he has a chance to play this year?! That would be huge if so, everything I had read pointed to him sitting this season out, so why wouldn't he be on IR?

The Safety position along with the obvious OL are glaring holes to me. I like Abram as a player, but he's the old school head hunter type, which DA wants more of the coverage guy I believe.

He's not a QB. He is an H-back.
Exactly … the Taysom as QB experiment is over … he’s now a pure weapon who not only can block but can throw every now and then, especially out of the Wildcat … and that make him a very valuable weapon … but now a QB. Right now we need both Rattler and Haener on the bench even with that meaning they both take up roster spots. … maybe next year we could deal with Taysom also being an emergency No. 3 QB … that’s just not how it is right now

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom