Did anyone have there doubts about brees when we signed him? (1 Viewer)

CJL

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I'm not gonna lie i did i thought at first he would be another jake delhone a one trick pony becuase wehen he was in San Diego he got most of his passing yards to Antino Gates and also he was behind a very good OL and when we signed him, and after his injured shoulder i thought he would lose his edge and be a average QB like JAke is BUT man was i wrong he is everything i hoped for 1000times:ezbill:

Taceo

Saintastic
Reaction score
I didn't think he would be ready to start the season, and I was only cautiously optimistic. But, boy did he ever settle those doubts quickly!

Last edited:

Danchrism

Reaction score
Absolutely nobody had any doubts whatsoever. We all knew that he would come in and light the Saints' offense on fire. Yup yup. Prophetic, we are.

xardoz

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Nope, no doubts.

He was my #1 Signee that I wanted in Black and Gold. My #3 was Fujita.

This was one of the Saints best off seasons I have ever seen.

kfran

TwoDat! Let's Do It Again
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
My concern, not doubt, was... How long would it be (after the surgery) before he showed the same moxy he had produced at Purdue and SD.

N8toe

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I wont lie, I thought it was a huge mistake on our part. Not that I doubted Brees so much, but I really wanted us to draft Matt Lienart, Ofcourse that was before I knew the Texans were gonna pass on Reggie. Just reminds me why Im only a fan and Payton&Loomis get payed for making those decsions.

AR Saint

Reaction score
Deep in the bowels of a hidden bunker, somewhere u
I had a very good feeling about Brees and was worried he would go to Miami instead.

For some reason, I didn't worry about him coming back strong.

My lack of faith that I must admit was in the hiring of Coach Payton. I really wanted Sherman or Martz at the time. Based on the interviews, I was LEAST impressed with Payton.

Boy, being wrong sure feels good! :hihi:

Buickman

Super Forum Fanatic
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Not so much doubts. I admit I actually wanted Leinart. Just wanted a good rookie to come in that would be on the team for awhile. I'm glad things worked out the way it did, and we ended up with Brees AND Bush.

Wingdog

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I wanted to draft Leinart also. I thought Brees was a "Trent Dilfer-type" QB, since I never saw too many Chargers games and LT always stole the headlines. When we signed him, I was like "meh". lol

keefresh2

on my own ignore list
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I was a little leary of the injury, but I felt that if he could get past it then we had a MAJOR upgrade at the position.

That's right. I said major.

Taceo

Saintastic
Reaction score
I too wanted Leinert (lefty quarterbacks always strike my interest... and coupled with Jamal Brown at RT I thoght it was a perfect fit) until it became known that Bush was going to be available. The Brees-Bush fallout could not have been planned better.

Sprung

On these Saints
Reaction score
I was wrong about him. I was on the Leinart bandwagon. I really didn't realize how cool he is in the pocket and what a great decision maker he is. I thought most of his success in S.D. was due to LT and Gates. Man, I couldn't be happier with Brees.

Speck Killer

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I was ok with Leinart or Brees. I thought it was a no lose situation for the Saints. My upside for Brees was him being a veteran and therefore no learning curve.

Torgo

I am Torgo
Reaction score
I wont lie, I thought it was a huge mistake on our part. Not that I doubted Brees so much, but I really wanted us to draft Matt Lienart, Ofcourse that was before I knew the Texans were gonna pass on Reggie. Just reminds me why Im only a fan and Payton&Loomis get payed for making those decsions.
Same here. I wanted to draft Leinart and build the team around him. I felt Brees was more of a stop-gap answer to the QB question for the Saints. I thought he was a good player, but not "special." I was wrong. Brees is a special player. I think he's proven that he is a Franchise QB and, as long as he's healthy, he's capable of keeping this team competitive for the next decade.

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
I realized a few weeks before the rumors that we were going after Brees surfaced that it would be insane for us to go any other way if Benson truly wanted to remain in New Orleans long term. I was very against drafting a rookie QB and knew Brees was the answer. I wish I had could get back to the posts from March/April because I started a thread that said Why I think we will sign Brees. Boy, I wasn't popular in that thread. So many people had already hyped up ML and VY to the point it was sickening because they thought we were going to draft them. If we drafted a rookie I wanted to go with Cutler and I remernber having some nice discussions about trading down and getting Cutler if we went the rookie QB route. Anyways, I'm so glad we got Brees and five years from now the Saints will be viewed completely different around the league because of him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
[Mod edit Speculation based on Unsubstantiated Source] Would it Surprise Anyone if we Traded Davenport after the Season? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 57
IsraeliSaintsFan Does anyone know how we covered Gronk? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 34
LonghornSaint Anyone grow carrots? Everything Else Board 13
Andrus Drew Brees Talks Taysom, Getting Back on Track vs Packers in Week 3 SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints' Drew Brees pushes back on notion he's in decline: 'I feel good, borderline great' SR News Page Articles 0
The internet says Drew Brees is cooked. He says he feels 'good, borderline great' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Brees remains confident, feels 'borderline great' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees still confident, feels “Borderline great” Saints RSS News Feeds 0
jasonsw Saints Why all isnt lost when it comes to Brees. Plus point spread Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 1
Warren moon on brees Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 14
Article: Is Drew Brees done? USA Today - Really Interesting Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 50
Andrus Drew Brees following MNF defeat: 'We're not even close to what we're capable of' SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Should we be concerned about Drew Brees and the Saints? SR News Page Articles 0
Brees has been bad. Jordan, Lattimore, Peat, Rankins and M. Williams have been worse Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 49
Brees - Inaccurate Throws Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 17
Zero chance Brees gets benched Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 16
Drew Brees explains momentum-swinging interception in Saints loss: 'Shouldn't have thrown it' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees on Saints offense: “Not even close to what we’re capable of” Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Brees: Job is to direct Saints, not rack up air yards Saints RSS News Feeds 0
'It was ugly.' Here's what Brees, Payton, Kamara had to say after Saints' loss to Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints' Drew Brees acts his age in off-target loss to Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Brees cleats Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 4
Billgluckman Drew brees (yeah I know) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 105
After the Brees int.. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 25
Brees INT....Downhill from there!!! Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 10
Need a reminder of Drew Brees' iconic Monday Night football history? Check out his pre-game cleats Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Empty stadiums may make the hard count more effective for veteran QBs like Drew Brees Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees, Saints a good bet in Las Vegas on Monday night Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Interview with the Enemy: Las Vegas Raiders expect to upset Drew Brees and the Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Emmanuel Sanders says Saints and Brees are unified, ready to pick up slack for Michael Thomas Saints RSS News Feeds 0
DomePatrol2005 Yahoo article throws some shade Brees way Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 54
Drew Brees and Tom Brady finish 1st showdown as divisional foes seeking more Saints RSS News Feeds 0
bigcarlittlewill Drew Brees licked his fingers 66 times or more last night Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 4
Barnwell: Handing out 13 QB awards for Week 1, from Brady and Brees to Burrow and Wentz Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Beignets and Café au Lait: Brees 1 - Brady 0 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saint Kamara The pre-2017 Drew Brees has a 3 interception game on days like today Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 18
Brees was subpar Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 43
Watch: On Drew Brees' day, Demario Davis' contract, Jenkins' pick-six, more as Saints beat Bucs Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Drew Brees Postgame After Week 1 Win vs. Buccaneers | 2020 NFL SR News Page Articles 0
NOLAJM504 Brees long-ball, is it low-key back? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 53
Brees' latest NFL record: Career pass attempts Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints QB Drew Brees breaks Brett Favre's career passing attempts record Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees breaks career pass attempts record Saints RSS News Feeds 0
ktmoze Brees-Brady: There will only Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
Sources: Brees planned to retire, changed mind Saints RSS News Feeds 0
If Drew Brees retired this offseason, the Saints' plan was to pursue Tom Brady: report Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Sources: Saints wanted Brady if Brees retired Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Bucs' Tom Brady vs. Saints' Drew Brees is QB matchup for the ages Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees thought 2017 was going to be his final season. Then he started having fun again Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees and Sean Payton's 'unbelievable journey' now entering its 15th season Saints RSS News Feeds 0