Favorite Apple? (1 Viewer)

I like braeburn myself... if you ever find yourself in Washington state, stop at a fruit stand and try a few different varieties. Not sure why they taste better in WA than anywhere else?:scratch:

Climate.
Long, hot summers with high-altitude daylight that fade into warm days and cold nights to concentrate the sugars.

Also, the Jonagolds from the Walla Walla area are life changing.

I like Honeycrisp and Fuji quite a bit but sometimes they aggravate me because they're the size of softballs & won't fit through my slicer. Yeah, I'm that guy.
Love Pink Lady & Cripp's but they have been really inconsistent here in central tx for the past couple of years.
Lately I've been on Jazz apples. They're not my first choice, but pretty good, and everyone seems to like them.
For those of you who said Gala, keep an eye out for Kanzi apples. Very similar in taste, but bigger, crisper, and a little better IMHO.

Fuji>all

I will say this thread has now made me want to try a Bradbury since people compared them to Fuji. Never heard of them.

I will also say that there is little in life that is more disappointing than the anticipation of that first bite into an apple being ruined by the semi-mushiness of one that is too ripe. Yes, I am a spoiled American, but I just can't eat it.
I call my mom a couple times a week on the way home from work and the first thing she has started asking me is how is my apple today.

I almost revived this thread or the other about apples we had because I had my first batch of Honeycrisp apples this year. Man were they good, but they were pretty big.

We're in the beginnings of apple season.

What's your favorite?

I'm a HoneyCrisp man myself

It is perfection in a little red package. Perfectly named too.

I’ve found another to take second place as my Fuji is number one. My Mutsu has its first crop this year. It’s a cross between a Golden Delicious and an Inyo Apple. I know the first crop is never the best, but these things are awesome.

I’ve found another to take second place as my Fuji is number one. My Mutsu has its first crop this year. It’s a cross between a Golden Delicious and an Inyo Apple. I know the first crop is never the best, but these things are awesome.

How long did it take to start bearing? We have some red delicious here that are on borrowed time and I'd like to replace them with something palatable.

I just want to find the people who somehow sold America on the red delicious as America’s lunch room apple - and kick that person in the balls. They damn near ruined a whole generation of Americans on the joy of apples.

I bet whoever they are, they’re already in hell.

I agree, it is Red but it is NOT delicious

How did it become America's apple?

I love that there are so many varieties available now

Growing up it was Red Delicious, Golden Delicious and Granny Smith and that was it

Growing up it was Red Delicious, Golden Delicious and Granny Smith and that was it

This article is solid.

How long did it take to start bearing? We have some red delicious here that are on borrowed time and I'd like to replace them with something palatable.

About 5 years, but I had some bore issues so I had to do a major haircut on it 3 years ago during the drought. Usually full taste and size come at year 7. Mine was also a little 2 foot twig when I got it so.

True. The 2 mushy gross apples and the one sold green making people think it’s ripe. If you ever find an heirloom red delicious tree, it’s not completely red, it’s skin is much thinner and it’s actually a good Apple. It’s jaut not shiny red and pretty.

Now a Granny Smith if you leave them on the tree until they turn a greenish yellow and ripens is an amazing apple. There’s a fruit stand by Morro Bay on the coast which sells ripened Granny Smith. Whole different Apple.

For making apple pie, Jonagold's are the best.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom