Inflation here? gas/grocery prices just continue to climb (3 Viewers)

My Trader Joe’s bacon is 6.50, if it’s gone up it’s only been like 50 cents.

^^I love how economists and people in general discuss inflation, supply/demand, etc as if they're laws of nature and not something created, executed and sustained by humans.

"This increase in demand results in higher prices." But it doesn't HAVE to. The prices don't change themselves. A person or an entity consisting of persons change them.

But they talk about it like it's gravity or high tide.

*waits for the well ackchyually brigade*

^^I love how economists and people in general discuss inflation, supply/demand, etc as if they're laws of nature and not something created, executed and sustained by humans.

"This increase in demand results in higher prices." But it doesn't HAVE to. The prices don't change themselves. A person or an entity consisting of persons change them.

But they talk about it like it's gravity or high tide.
*waits for the well ackchyually brigade*

No idea what you're talking about.

The prices do change themselves. I mean it used to take a manager to direct a clerk to get turn a different knob on the price gun and now it's programmed into a computer, but component prices and purchase prices and consumer demand all contribute to the invisible hand raising or lowering the prices of goods and services in response to market conditions.

I guess it people stopped wanting things a little more than they used to then maybe what you're saying is true, but otherwise I don't get what you're saying.

No idea what you're talking about.

The prices do change themselves. I mean it used to take a manager to direct a clerk to get turn a different knob on the price gun and now it's programmed into a computer, but component prices and purchase prices and consumer demand all contribute to the invisible hand raising or lowering the prices of goods and services in response to market conditions.

I guess it people stopped wanting things a little more than they used to then maybe what you're saying is true, but otherwise I don't get what you're saying.
There aren't many other ways for me to say it: we designed the system. We made the rules. We can change the rules.

This article/video from CNBC hasn't aged well at all.

That's from May 2020.

Who the heck would have seen the supply chain completely snafu, full on war between Russia and Ukraine?

There are so many factors that can trigger inflationary pressures vs say 40 years ago. So it's not as simple as one would like to think. A move today can cause shifts all across different industries and markets. That's the trick bag. Globalization has changed the landscape for good.

And this story isn't over just yet. We still have record high housing prices even with 5% plus interest rates. People are using credit like never before. We have supply chain issues that are extending now into a 2nd full year (as forecasted) and we had the govt dole out trillions in stimulus at the beginning of lockdowns.

And that is only domestically. Now toss in global issues, and here we are.

We were nearsighted in 2020 as we faced something never seen before. It wasn't as simple as 2009 financial crisis because the root problem was easily identified, contained and dealt with. This time, this problem has tentacles reaching in all sorts of directions.

There aren't many other ways for me to say it: we designed the system. We made the rules. We can change the rules.

We've managed to put off, hide or otherwise obfuscate inflation for decades now as we've continued to gorge ourselves on every conceivable convenience and disposable bit of crud.

What, pray tell, are you talking about? And, "we" didn't design anything. It's evolved out of necessity and as a result of happenstance.

Until and unless you can convince Americans in particular and the world in general to live within its means there is nothing that's going to change.

We've managed to put off, hide or otherwise obfuscate inflation for decades now as we've continued to gorge ourselves on every conceivable convenience and disposable bit of crud.

What, pray tell, are you talking about? And, "we" didn't design anything. It's evolved out of necessity and as a result of happenstance.

Until and unless you can convince Americans in particular and the world in general to live within its means there is nothing that's going to change.

Don't worry about it. We don’t always have to understand each other.

I hadn't bought a hairbrush in about 15 years. It's one of those things, like an iron, that I don't buy often. I went to buy one at Walmart and the cheapest one was $9.98.

I don't know if that's due to inflation or if that's a fair price for a freaking paddle brush now... But I was like, nope. I'll just use my fingers.
I have naturally wavy/curly hair and I have been seeing these orange & white plastic bristle Denman brushes being pandered everywhere to women with curly/wavy hair. They are like $20.

I was like no forkin way! I had one of these in the 80’s that I likely paid $.65 for. My grandma probably has one at her house still somewhere.

Insane.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom