Is Anyone Hiring? Permission Received From Andrus to Post (1 Viewer)

Yeah, its tough. But I want everyone here to understand that I am not just applying to jobs with high salaries. I am just looking for something that can pay the bills
sent ya a PM with a link from a friend

So far today I have heard back from Treasure Chest, CarMax, and Dots Diner....all said no.

I need a miracle. I am so scared.
If you applied to wash dishes at Dot's Diner and you couldn't land that job, you are leaving out something. Are you a serial killer?

Obviously, I'm just messing around......but it seems hard to believe you can't land ANY job.

yea, but a lot of places don't like to hire 'over qualified' people. or when they say no experirence required, but don't really mean it.
So when you see people say stuff like "theres no excuse for someone not working when everyone is hiring' they are clueless to that fact.
My wife was starting to get down on herself for being out of work that long, escpecially when she was willing to take a big paycut. The job she just got was below her range, but she's confident her work ethic and skill will fix that over the next couple years.
I have been told by many places that they dont want to hire me, spend the time training me just so i can leave when something better comes along

If you applied to wash dishes at Dot's Diner and you couldn't land that job, you are leaving out something. Are you a serial killer?

Obviously, I'm just messing around......but it seems hard to believe you can't land ANY job.
Sometimes if you are not well networked "any job" isn't as easy as you think. If Dot's diner thinks he is overqualified, then they do not want to go thru the rigamarole of hiring him, just for him to leave in 3-4 weeks when he finds a better job, they might hire you on a short term basis if you have a friend there (or in management) but they dont want to hire someone they think will leave soonish.

Sometimes if you are not well networked "any job" isn't as easy as you think. If Dot's diner thinks he is overqualified, then they do not want to go thru the rigamarole of hiring him, just for him to leave in 3-4 weeks when he finds a better job, they might hire you on a short term basis if you have a friend there (or in management) but they dont want to hire someone they think will leave soonish.
This is exactly my problem

I have been told by many places that they dont want to hire me, spend the time training me just so i can leave when something better comes along
Two things...

One, that's what youngsters do. So unless you're in your late 20s/early 30s, that bullshirt. It's a real issue, but it's also a generational one.

Two, if an employer is openly telling you that, trust me when I say you didn't want to work for them. I would never say that to any candidate and would rip a hiring manager a new one if I found out they said it.

I just thinking out loud, but is it possible to offer an employer a time commitment via a contract - like 12, 18 or 24 months? Or is that unwise.

Speaking to the group, in general.

Two things...

One, that's what youngsters do. So unless you're in your late 20s/early 30s, that bullshirt. It's a real issue, but it's also a generational one.

Two, if an employer is openly telling you that, trust me when I say you didn't want to work for them. I would never say that to any candidate and would rip a hiring manager a new one if I found out they said it.
Agreed. And fwiw, from conversations I've had with a few people who work in HR, it's something that is definitely part of their calculus, but they don't say out loud to candidates.

Two things...

Rotolo's is one place that told me that. There is one right on the corner of where I live. They had a huge WE ARE HIRING sign on the front of the building so I applied. The next day the manager called me to set up an interview. When I got there he was so unprepared. Like, he hadnt even looked at my resume because he excused himself, went to the back room and came back with a folder. Once he found my application and resume thats when he told me. By that time I was a little frustrated and said something along the lines of "well isnt that true for everyone who applies?"....anyways, then i asked him if there was something in corporate office i could do. However, he did call me the next day and asked if I had website building experience. I said i dont, but i could learn. Never heard from him again.

Thats just 1 example. Thats the most egregious example, because I have gotten the same feedback from others but not in such a direct way.

Edit: he was a nice guy and all, i dont want to speak poorly about him or that company. He just kept saying "you need to look at it from my point of view..." i was like dude, i just need a paycheck. This was probably Jan/Feb, because I remember it being still cold/cool outside. Long time ago.

Last edited:
I just thinking out loud, but is it possible to offer an employer a time commitment via a contract - like 12, 18 or 24 months? Or is that unwise.

Speaking to the group, in general.
I don't know your circumstances, and it varies depending on the individual and type of job, but my daughter as an RN was hired right out of college and she had to sign a 2 year contract with a hospital she's currently working for. She admittedly was frustrated with the job after 12 months and wanted to quit, but would have had to pay like $10,000 to get out of the contract. It took some convincing from me, but she stayed with it after I suggested to her she should tough it out until the contract runs out unless she has another job lined up and they're willing to assist with the buyout. It would have been bad for her to quit without having a backup plan lined up.

I would only bring up the contract period if it's listed on the application requirements. Offering that sort of commitment won't make them any more or less likely to hire you unless they're specifically requiring that.

They already rejected my application.
I have always been a proponent of taking whatever to get things going. Ever consider Dominos, Pizza Hut ? They are always hiring and it’s stupid easy to make $100 a night while you look.

And when you’re applying for one of these jobs tell them you’re looking for part time to help out at home.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom