Karate Kid Sequel (1 Viewer)

The Producer credit is one of the most incorrectly perceived. Everyone thinks "that's the guy who made the movie". No. Producers, as the name implies, produce things. They make sure everyone has what they need to do their job. Mostly money. EXECUTIVE producer, as Sun Wukong stated, is completely different. It's pretty much honorary.

Executive Producer is a broad term with broad meaning. Sometimes it's the actually shows creator or showrunner. Sometimes it's a money man. Sometimes it's honorary.

In this case, it's not just honorary. Overbrook owns the rights to Karate Kid and had to green-light the show. They were actually pivotal in getting it made. The initial pitch was to Overbrook who loved it and brokered the meeting with Sony. Smith himself has very little involvement but as the founder of Overbrook his position as Executive Producer is actually meaningful not just a tip of the hat.

Executive Producer is a broad term with broad meaning. Sometimes it's the actually shows creator or showrunner. Sometimes it's a money man. Sometimes it's honorary.

In this case, it's not just honorary. Overbrook owns the rights to Karate Kid and had to green-light the show. They were actually pivotal in getting it made. The initial pitch was to Overbrook who loved it and brokered the meeting with Sony. Smith himself has very little involvement but as the founder of Overbrook his position as Executive Producer is actually meaningful not just a tip of the hat.

Well, it's more his shingle controls the property and they're getting passive income from it by licensing it for production. He is doing no actual work on the show. He gets a check and they put his name in the credits and get to make the show.

Well, it's more his shingle controls the property and they're getting passive income from it by licensing it for production. He is doing no actual work on the show. He gets a check and they put his name in the credits and get to make the show.

Probably a touch of semantics here. We are both basically right.

Since the show was initially pitched to Overbrook, they had to approve it, and they had to “get it made”, I kind of see that as “work” on the show. My buddy created a very popular kids show right now. He created it, pitched it to Hasbro, and got it made. He has since left the show (he did before the first episode actually aired) but is still listed as Executive Producer. In those cases I don’t really see that as honorary because they put a lot of work in to get the show made.

Kurt Sutter was EP of Sons and Mayans. He’s been removed from Mayans but is still EP. That’s not honorary to me either, even though he’s getting a check now just because of his early involvement as he’s not allowed anywhere near the show any more.

I’m working with a prod co right now on one of my pilots. They are putting a lot of work and money into trying to get it made, but they will never be part of the actual production if we get that 1 in a million shot. To me they would still deserve the EP credit because right now they are doing more work than me on it to be honest.

So to me there’s a big difference between no involvement and the involvement being relegated to the early stages of getting something done. If it wouldn’t have happened without you and you own the property, an EP credit (and the check that comes with it) is earned IMO.

I was expecting a different cliffhanger ....

I finally had time to sit down and watch the whole season. I knew that once I started, I wouldn't stop. I started at 6 pm yesterday and finished at midnight. Totally worth it. As others have mentioned earlier in the thread, this show probably shouldn't work as well as it does, but these writers just keep on hitting it out of the park. There's the right balance of seriousness, comedy, action, and nostalgia. Of course, a love of the original movies makes the whole thing much easier to watch, but I'd imagine someone who hasn't seen them could still watch it and enjoy.
* The callback lines are always fun, but I especially liked the whole "No be there" stuff.
* There were so many times when I wanted to scream at Daniel and Johnny and just say, "Hey, why don't yall just be some forking adults and patch things up for real already!" I think that pretty much happened at the end, though, which is good to see.
* Silver is just a monster. Dude just straight up set the wolves upon Kreese like it was nothing.
* As Sun said earlier, Stingray is just a ridiculous character. Are there actually people out there in the world who act like that? If so, dear Lord.
* As GA said earlier, Tory is hot.
* Barnes is coming, Barnes is coming. Has to be and he's going to want some revenge for Daniel's victory.
* Remember the little scroll with the technique that Daniel said he hoped to never have to use? I kept waiting for it to come along, but I guess that's gonna be some season 5 whoop arse.
* Should be interesting to see what happens with Daniel's son and the new kid. That new kid is a little scary...that scene toward the end in the locker room...damn.
* Carrie Underwood - it was nice that she was singing one of the old songs during the matches, but I could have done without her. I'd have preferred if they had just played "You're the Best" or something like that.
* I did like that they included the skills competition and female division. I believe that is more in line with actual karate competitions.
* Are they going to tie Miguel's dad back to the original movies? I doubt it, as I'm not sure how they'd do that, but maybe he could be the guy from Locust Valley karate who was really good. Or maybe, just maybe.....his dad is Barnes????
They've finished season 5 filming already, so I'm hoping that it comes out this summer or fall. I'd hate to have to wait until this time next year to continue this ride.

I am very excited to see Chozen teach the kids the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique.

I am also very excited to see the inevitable Battle Royale of Kreese/Silver/Barnes vs. Daniel/Johnny/Chozen.

Last edited:
* Are they going to tie Miguel's dad back to the original movies? I doubt it, as I'm not sure how they'd do that, but maybe he could be the guy from Locust Valley karate who was really good. Or maybe, just maybe.....his dad is Barnes????
That would be a swerve of epic proportions... so much so that I now want to see it happen.

i am QUICKLY losing interest in this season (3 episodes in)
not sure i can hang

I struggled to keep track of it early on this season with everyone switching teams - eventually I just let it go. Final few episodes were high quality.

That would be a swerve of epic proportions... so much so that I now want to see it happen.
I picture it this way. Barnes is a known bad arse bad guy. After losing to Daniel, him and Silver were completely disgraced and broke. Him / they ran off to Central America / South America / Mexico and get caught up in drugs / cartels. Silver builds himself back up (as we've seen in season 4) and we know he isn't beyond illegal stuff (as we've seen in KK3). Barnes builds himself up as a big drug guy (why else would Miguel's mom have run away and been so scared for him to going looking for dad?). Silver said he was gonna "dig up somebody to help", so Barnes is the obvious choice. The more I think about this scenario, the more I think that it's going to play out pretty close to what I imagine. Maybe I'm totally off base, though.

I'm hoping:

#1 - Barnes appears in Season 5.
#2 - Season 5 will wrap up the series.

I know #2 won't happen. But without keeping the "Where are they now?" element fresh, this show will jump the shark for most of the 35+ demographic. After Barnes, there's no one meaningful left to resurrect.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom