Matt Hasselbeck on Teddy Bridgewater (1 Viewer)

Which is all Hasselbeck said. He’s not a Mahomes or Wilson that can go out and do it by himself. Teddy needs a supporting cast like an elite offensive line to give him time to pump fake it 2-3 times and sit back in the pockets for 4 seconds or more to read the coverage and a great Defense to keep the game close.

I didn’t read it as a Teddy bashing like you seem to be. It’s an honest assessment that Teddy has limitations and plays within those limitations. He’s not gonna win you a shoot out and that’s ok because we haven’t needed that. Everyone has a hand in these wins. Teddy is doing well and winning with a strong supporting cast!

If you’re only talking about where he is right now in his development, then I think it’s an understandable assessment. I still think Teddy is more talented, and played better, than some are willing to acknowledge. More than that, though, some people seem to be talking about him as if he’s a finished product. I don’t think he’s reached his ceiling yet. Regardless, I trust Payton to determine if Teddy is a QB he wants to continue working with.

The only thing Hasselbeck ever "lifted" was the Green Bay secondary in that infamous playoff moment. Couldn't ever "lift" the Seachickens to a title, as he lost his only SB appearance. Interesting how talking heads who famously lost their chances for SB rings will spout these sorts of things about current players. Collinsworth does much the same.

Teddy stands a chance a major payday, either here or elsewhere, due to the mere fact that the market for QBs keeps going up and up and up.

I disagree with Hasselbeck completely, but your comments are misguided. You don’t have to be a Great Player at a position to have valid opinions about that position, or other positions.
Hasselbeck knows more about football than most. Even the worst starter in the league knows more about football than 90% of people who are on the internet. Anyone who can become a starter in the NFL obviously knows football. that being said I think he is wrong with his opinion on Teddy.

I think we will learn a lot this weekend. We know he's smart and won't lose the game. We know he can manage a close game against tough competition. The last step is seeing if he can continue to develop into a more prolific passer.

This Arizona defense is really, really bad. Teddy should have no issues going over 300 and 2-3TDs.

And I see little chance Payton has invested this much in Bridgewater just to let him walk next offseason. If we have to pay him $16-18M to sit one more year, we will do it. No doubt in my mind.

This is the moving goalpost that some of us are talking about.

"Well sure he managed the game well against Seattle and Dallas and did exactly what the coaches want him to do, but there's no way he can handle a shootout with Tampa!"

- Teddy proceeds to have a great passing day against Tampa and wins

"Well sure, he's 4-0 as a starter, but the Bears defense is going to kill him. He won't be able to pump fake 12 times in the pocket against this defense! The Bears will eat checkdown Teddy alive and expose him! The only way we win is if it's a 9-6 type of slugfest!"

- Teddy goes out and dismantles the Bears defense. He puts up the best passer rating that Chicago has allowed any opposing QB (besting Derek Carr, Kirk Cousins, and Aaron Rodgers). He puts up the most passing yards (excluding garbage time) of any QB that has played the Bears this year.

"Well, sure, he's 5-0 as a starter, has played extraordinarily well in the two games where he was asked to do more than manage the game, outperformed two good QBs and one hall of famer against an elite NFL defense, hugely outperformed two QBs drafted in the top two picks of the draft and he's on pace for almost 4,000 yards, 29 touchdowns, and 6 interceptions, which is well above 'average starter' territory in today's NFL. But we must wait and see he does against the Arizona Cardinals (because reasons) before we can really decide if he's a good player!"

Absurd. Some of you people should learn to quit when you're behind.

Last edited:
He was on Golic and Wingo this morning talking about Teddy. He was asked if he was a GM would he throw starter money at Teddy and he said not a chance.
His reasoning was Teddy doesn’t elevate the players around him. He needs incredible players to be a good QB. He felt his ceiling was Alex Smith which isn’t bad but teams weren’t going to be lining up for Teddy next year.
I can see what he means and that’s not saying Teddy is a bad QB but not sure he is worth $20-30 mil a year.

Teddy isn't going to lose games for you, but hes not really going to win them for you either.

He is exactly the backup QB we needed when Drew went down. This roster is the best in the league. All we needed was a smart qb that isn't going to turn the ball over and Teddy has done his job.

This defense is the truth, and possibly the best in the league

If you’re only talking about where he is right now in his development, then I think it’s an understandable assessment. I still think Teddy is more talented, and played better, than some are willing to acknowledge. More than that, though, some people seem to be talking about him as if he’s a finished product. I don’t think he’s reached his ceiling yet. Regardless, I trust Payton to determine if Teddy is a QB he wants to continue working with.

this all day. If you can remember Drew’s first 5 Games he did not dew anything special.

Att. Comp. yds Ted-Int
16-30. 170. 1-1
26-41. 353. 2-1
20-28. 191. 0-0
28-38. 349. 1-0
21-33. 171. 1-0

65.0%. 1234 5-2
not bad, but not the GOAT either.

now Teddy

19-27. 177. 2-0
23-30. 193. 0-0
26-34. 314. 4-0
24-36. 240. 1-0
23-38. 281. 2-0

69%. 1205. 9-0

As you can see not very different but Dre got better every week until the end of the season, after that he has been Drew ever since. Will Teddy when he gets his chance? No one knows but you cannot tell the future be anyone’s first five games

Absurd. Some of you people should learn to quit when you're behind.

Maybe you need to quote someone else because I never said any of what you are saying in that post.

I said Teddy earned the benefit of the doubt about four weeks ago.

Maybe you need to quote someone else because I never said any of what you are saying in that post.

I said Teddy earned the benefit of the doubt about four weeks ago.

And yet "I think we will learn a lot this weekend. We know he's smart and won't lose the game. We know he can manage a close game against tough competition. The last step is seeing if he can continue to develop into a more prolific passer. "

He was plenty prolific yesterday and vs. Tampa when the gameplan called on him to be.

He's proven that he can be a prolific passer.

You'll need to find another hill to die on with your ever-moving goalposts.

Yea if there’s one guy you want to listen to it’s Matt Hasselbeck, for his 212 TDs he’s chased them down with 153 Interceptions... he knows about ELEVATING a team.

Thankfully the internet has kept track of his stats or else I’d not remember a thing he did in football

I believe he's the one that guaranteed victory when doing the coin toss in an overtime game and then they lost. That's the extent of my knowledge on him.

And yet "I think we will learn a lot this weekend. We know he's smart and won't lose the game. We know he can manage a close game against tough competition. The last step is seeing if he can continue to develop into a more prolific passer. "

He was plenty prolific yesterday and vs. Tampa when the gameplan called on him to be.

He's proven that he can be a prolific passer.

You'll need to find another hill to die on with your ever-moving goalposts.

If you think that's controversial, you are a bit too invested here.

If we are going to pay him $20M+ next year, seeing him consistently beat up on bad defenses is a pretty valuable thing to check off the list.

And while you are freaking about about that line, I said in that post that I see no chance we don't re-sign him.

Here are
this all day. If you can remember Drew’s first 5 Games he did not dew anything special.

Att. Comp. yds Ted-Int
16-30. 170. 1-1
26-41. 353. 2-1
20-28. 191. 0-0
28-38. 349. 1-0
21-33. 171. 1-0

65.0%. 1234 5-2
not bad, but not the GOAT either.

now Teddy

19-27. 177. 2-0
23-30. 193. 0-0
26-34. 314. 4-0
24-36. 240. 1-0
23-38. 281. 2-0

69%. 1205. 9-0

As you can see not very different but Dre got better every week until the end of the season, after that he has been Drew ever since. Will Teddy when he gets his chance? No one knows but you cannot tell the future be anyone’s first five games

This.

To add, here are the stat lines of all of the QBs who have played the Bears defense this year.

18-30, 203 Yards, 1 TD, 0 turnovers
35-50, 292 Yards, 1 TD, 1 turnover
30-43, 332 Yards, 2 TD, 5 turnovers (almost all of the passing yards were in garbage time)
27-36, 233 Yards, 0 TD, 1 turnover
25-32, 229 Yards, 0 TD, 1 turnover
23-38, 281 Yards, 2 TD, 0 turnovers

Find Bridgewater (hint - look for the best performance listed). Also find Aaron Rodgers, Kirk Cousins, and Derek Carr.

Last edited:
If you think that's controversial, you are a bit too invested here.

If we are going to pay him $20M+ next year, seeing him consistently beat up on bad defenses is a pretty valuable thing to check off the list.

And while you are freaking about about that line, I said in that post that I see no chance we don't re-sign him.

Your opinion is not controversial at all. There are plenty of posters on here with bad takes. It's just ignorant and wrong.

Your opinion is not controversial at all. It's ignorant and wrong.

It's ignorant and wrong to say we'll learn more this weekend by seeing Teddy go out and beat up on Arizona, showing some consistency in his development toward becoming a prolific passer?

Jesus dude. Calm down.

His reasoning was Teddy doesn’t elevate the players around him. He needs incredible players to be a good QB.
You could say this about most QB’s in the league.
QB’s that make everyone around them better are a rarity.
Hasselbeck certainly didn’t do that, Shaun Alexander carried that offense in its best years.

I cant argue too much with that. But that moving goalpost works both ways. When he has a bad series, takes a sack after pump faking 11 times, misses wide open receivers, refuses to throw a receiver open, refuses to run Paytons offense with the shock plays because of lack of confidence (7 yard flea flickers) - its the same excuse, he hasn't played in 3 years.

I will agree with you, it is a moving goal post - but I think theres a reason its a moving goal post. Game manager QBs I think probably all suffer from a bit of moving goal post syndrome.

If it's the same excuse then how is it goal post moving? Goal post moving is coming up with more excuses not using the same one.

I think SR needs to add a Bridgewater forum. Call it the Teddy Super Forum. Only problem is it may get more traffic than SSF.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom