[Merged] Saints Select Clemson DT Bryan Bresee (3 Viewers)

How do you like the Bryan Bresee pick?

• Total voters
I agree... I'm just tired of the "IF" stuff in first round rotational players... He seems like a great dude, with some bad luck, that never really got a chance to live up to his hype.... I was ready for a not so much "IF" player (cleaner).... we passed on a few... again.
I don't know what you're seeing if you think Bresee is a rotational player. He can play in pretty much any defensive package we run.

I love the pick, I think he has great size for the position so he meets the criteria the Saints like in big lengthy lineman and he appears to have a high motor which you like in a DT that you hope will bring an interior pass rush with him.

Last edited:
I don't know what you're seeing if you think Bresee is a rotational player. He can play in pretty much any defensive package we run.

Every D Lineman on our team - With the exception of Cam - Is by definition.... a rotational player. Cam averaged 66 snaps a game last year (nearly every play).... The next best DLine average currently still with the team was Granderson with an average of 44.

Most Defenses get 70-80 snaps a game... If your name isn't Cam Jordan... You pretty much play half a game.

Last edited:
Agreed, He's an every down player.
Not saying he's gonna come out of the gate being the guy. But if anything he's shown is scheme versatilty, and at a high level. I get the "if" stuff, especially given our track record with injuries, but he's a Saint now and we gotta go in with positive outlook.

Not saying he's gonna come out of the gate being the guy. But if anything he's shown is scheme versatilty, and at a high level. I get the "if" stuff, especially given our track record with injuries, but he's a Saint now and we gotta go in with positive outlook.
Sam Mills once said the MVP on the dome patrol era defense was NT Jim Wilkes. He was asked to
take on double teams and hold the LOS. This allowed the Lb'ers to make plays and not fight O-linemen
at the 2nd level. Don't look for Bresse to have a lot of stats. Saint Mike posted a great video from Chris
Simms. He played DE against teams with good running Qb's and a lo of 2 gap because he was the Tigers
best defensive player. He wasn't asked to make the tackle.

I love the pick, I think he has great size for the position so he meets the criteria the Saints like in big lengthy lineman and he appears to have a high motor which you like in a DT that you hope to bring an interior pass rush with him.
He's 6'5", he'll play at around 315, IMO.

The. Kid had an ACL tear, that was a the only injury he had in college. How is that injury prone?
Tbf he also had surgery on his shoulder.

Regardless it's impossible to hate the pick so late in the 1st.

That Franchise Guy (who's probably one of the most unbiased talking heads on youtube) rated the Bresee pick as a Certified Steal.

The best thing about giving grades out the day of (or day after) the draft is that you know which writers you shouldn’t take seriously.

Prolly catch heat for this, but this was reminiscent of the Jonathan Sullivan before Terrell Suggs pick. Nolan Smith is a dynamic playmaker and Bresee is an oft injured block eater. He won’t be anymore effective than the UDFAs we rotated him with in the interior. Terrible pick. Hope I’m wrong.
Sullivan was lazy. Breese is not. Nolan Smith suffered a season ending injury in college as well ( torn pec ). He's
also a true OLB in a 3-4 which doesn't fit our scheme. If he plays DE in a 4-3 he'll be mauled in the run game.

The best thing about giving grades out the day of (or day after) the draft is that you know which writers you shouldn’t take seriously.
Well, if you watch the video, he mostly goes by scheme fit for the teams and the value of the pick, not just "this player is better than this one." It's worth watching the whole thing, because his reasoning is fairly sound on a lot of them.

Life has happened to Marcus Davenport and Payton Turner way too much around this joint for me to be uber excited for a dude that has had way too much life happen to him in college. I like him better than Murphy at least. Murphy is just another athlete who's got all this upside but not the motor to match the potential.

Marcus Davenport/Payton Turner had a sister die from cancer, got strep that turned into a kidney infection?? That's fluky stuff. The ACL happened, but he has already recovered. That can happen to anyone. The upside is off the charts, and he knows how to play. You don't get that at #29 without the "life" stuff. Is is not like he fell down the board for character issues. He just had bad luck the year before eligibly. Which was good luck for us.

This is an A++ to me. A+ for the player potential, skill and size... and the other + because we need help at that position.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom