[Merged] Saints Select Clemson DT Bryan Bresee (1 Viewer)

How do you like the Bryan Bresee pick?

• Total voters
Not to say he isn't a good pick or he won't be a good player. But I can't help but notice that he is built differently..

Marcus Davenport/Payton Turner had a sister die from cancer, got strep that turned into a kidney infection?? That's fluky stuff. The ACL happened, but he has already recovered. That can happen to anyone. The upside is off the charts, and he knows how to play. You don't get that at #29 without the "life" stuff. Is is not like he fell down the board for character issues. He just had bad luck the year before eligibly. Which was good luck for us.

This is an A++ to me. A+ for the player potential, skill and size... and the other + because we need help at that position.
For me, it's all about where Bresee is in his development as a player. He's one of those rare prospects with the elite physical profile to go along with his developed skill set and ability to contribute immediately who was there for the taking late in the round. He's is ready to play in the league from day 1. Whereas Davenport and Turner are basically projects with elite physical profiles who are trying to develop their skills to be effective players. Those guys can't afford injuries as it derails their development and reps on the field to improve.

Yes there's some risks involved but I feel a lot more confident in his ability to be an impact player from day 1 vs guys like Turner/Davenport. If you keep him healthy, he's going anchor the defense for the years to come.

The. Kid had an ACL tear, that was a the only injury he had in college. How is that injury prone?
Freakishly talented kid who had bad luck last year (Kidney infection and the very unfortunate death of his sister). This is a fantastic pick at a position of need.
Finally someone who looked at his past!

Obviously the injury concerns are valid but to me it's a catch 22. People don't like the pick because of his injury history but the only reason he was still on the board was because of his injury history.

When you draft at the end of the first round you have to make a decision on talented players that fall due to injury/off field concerns. Teams can either take a solid prospect or they can swing for the fences and take a risk on a injury/character type of player. They stayed put at 29 and took a chance on talent. I can live with that. It's better than trading up and gambling on traits.

It's perfectly valid for people to be concerned about his injury history, particularly since some perfectly respectable sources have questioned whether he was the same player after coming back from the ACL.

We've just sat through five years of Marcus Davenport failing to live up to his potential because of one injury after another. The same is seemingly being played out again with Turner....

That's why people are concerned. He could be the second coming of Reggie White but that's not much good if he's not on the field.

I'm more concerned about his weaknesses vrs the run where he gets turned too easily and just gets washed out by double teams....hopefully this is Coachable stuff.
Couldn’t have said it better, first three paragraphs. It’s completely valid.

Obviously the injury concerns are valid but to me it's a catch 22. People don't like the pick because of his injury history but the only reason he was still on the board was because of his injury history.

When you draft at the end of the first round you have to make a decision on talented players that fall due to injury/off field concerns. Teams can either take a solid prospect or they can swing for the fences and take a risk on an injury/character type of player. They stayed put at 29 and took a chance on talent. I can live with that. It's better than trading up and gambling on traits.
Spot on. Sleeping on it I’m much happier with the pick than I was immediately after. Not that it matters how I feel or anyone else here, but it is a message board that exists for the very reason of talking about our favorite team.

I’m so thankful they ended up staying put and looking forward to a move up that I know is coming at some point.

This is the write-up I did on Bresee in my Top 25 players thread. He was #11 for me…

#11. Bryan Bresee, DT Clemson

I really think had Bresee stayed healthy and at the top of his game in college, we could be talking about a shoe-in top 5-10 pick. The raw traits are freakish. He’s a polar bear with a nose for the football, and I think there’s room to grow. The power comes so natural, with rare lateral quickness to match. Holds weight well against double teams, and was double teamed A LOT given how much talent was on the field with him. You can see the drive when he bulls his way through, but he’s not limited to the power rush. He can fool interior offensive lineman with shiftier hips than expected as well. Given both men’s profile, when you compare Bresee to Jalen Carter, you can make the argument Bresee has the higher floor and the higher ceiling. But the medical concerns are there.

Pro Comparison: Chris Jones, Chiefs
A torn all, kidney infection and a sister who died from doesn’t mean injury prone.

This is the write-up I did on Bresee in my Top 25 players thread. He was #11 for me…

#11. Bryan Bresee, DT Clemson

I really think had Bresee stayed healthy and at the top of his game in college, we could be talking about a shoe-in top 5-10 pick. The raw traits are freakish. He’s a polar bear with a nose for the football, and I think there’s room to grow. The power comes so natural, with rare lateral quickness to match. Holds weight well against double teams, and was double teamed A LOT given how much talent was on the field with him. You can see the drive when he bulls his way through, but he’s not limited to the power rush. He can fool interior offensive lineman with shiftier hips than expected as well. Given both men’s profile, when you compare Bresee to Jalen Carter, you can make the argument Bresee has the higher floor and the higher ceiling. But the medical concerns are there.

Pro Comparison: Chris Jones, Chiefs
I enjoyed watching his highlights. Gave me hope, he’s a force.

Hopefully the concerns (from pro people) about him not being the same after the ACL are proven false over time. Also hope his shoulder holds up. The shoulder he had surgery on, who many folks leave off of the injury portion of his past lol.

I think he's a steal. Kid's gonna come in and wreak havoc.
I'm 100% on board and he will be in the rotation day one.
Cam is excited. That's good enough for me. Of course, he's already ribbing Bresee a little for looking like the love child of Ryan Ramczyk and David Bakhtiari, so we know Cam hasn't lost his mind.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom