My guess: Caitlin & Angel will garner co-Rookie of the Year honors (4 Viewers)

So you're saying Reese is not an offensive player? You would be correct. That's not her game. She's battling down in the paint for rebounds at a higher efficiency than any other player in the league. Clark is also near the bottom in %, but she is an offensive player. If you're going to hold shooting percentage against one of these players, it should the shooter, but you're not.

Reese is not an offensive player. Once again, she makes her points from offensive rebounds, something she leads the league in doing. Not just rookies, the league. Her scoring average will improve as she continues to adjust to the difference.

What I get annoyed at by the Reese/Clark discussions is the sliding scale when evaluating both. It's okay that Clark's % is near the league bottom as a shooter something she's known as, but Reese who's not known as a shooter, you're dinging her for her fg%. Why???? Clark has the 8th worst FG% among guards. Among guards. So does that mean she's not good enough either right?

I just think the standard you're holding one player too but not the other is weird especially when you know they're doing 2 very different things.
Again, I’m not saying that Clark is MVP or anything. I do think she is rookie of the year though.

I’ve already admitted that Clark has offensive flaws and why I would still vote for her for that award. It’s fine if you don’t agree, but I think it is unfair of you to say that I’m holding the players to different standards.

Again, I’m not saying that Clark is MVP or anything. I do think she is rookie of the year though.

I’ve already admitted that Clark has offensive flaws and why I would still vote for her for that award. It’s fine if you don’t agree, but I think it is unfair of you to say that I’m holding the players to different standards.
Clark doesn’t have a good fg %. I agree.

But watching the games (and looking at the numbers) shows that she is directing the entire offense. By your own words, “Reese is not an offensive player. Once again, she makes her points from offensive rebounds…”

So one player has the responsibility of scoring/assisting on more points than any player in the entire league (objective stat) while attempting most of her shots from deep. The other player is “not an offensive player.”

The non-offensive player averages the same number of steals as CC, fewer blocks, and has a (much) lower true shooting & effective fg %, while having far less responsibility. And while AR leads the league in rebounds, CC is .4 rebounds per game away from leading all guards in rebounding.

In my opinion, AR’s one advantage is rebounding. CC clears her in every other category. The fact that Clark almost leads all WNBA guards in rebounding makes it an easy vote for me (my opinion).

I think she's leading too. I find the fg% thing to be weird metric people have latched on to when both rookies don't have a good one, particularly the shooter who's compared to Steph Curry. If Reese ends up in the conversation for RoY it won't be because of her offense, that's all I'm saying. Appreciate the back and forth.

I think she's leading too. I find the fg% thing to be weird metric people have latched on to when both rookies don't have a good one, particularly the shooter who's compared to Steph Curry. If Reese ends up in the conversation for RoY it won't be because of her offense, that's all I'm saying. Appreciate the back and forth.
Yeah, good discussion for sure.

I will be surprised if AR wins rookie of the year, and it isn’t how I’d vote, but they are both terrific players.

I’ve enjoyed the season and this thread.

I can’t take this sport more seriously than I currently am due to the fact that their games start at the weirdest hours.

Why do so many of their games start at noon during weekdays? Are they targeting the stay at home mom/dad market?

They have the same fg %, but Reese takes ~85% of her shots in the paint and Clark takes ~65% of her shots from 3.

Clark’s effective and true shooting percentages are both higher than AR’s.

As I said in previous posts, see below.....

That's exactly what I said. She's getting most of her shots off of offensive rebounds which usually favors the defense. Those are tough points in any league but especially in the WNBA.

If you have ever played the game against bigger guys you know above to be very, very true.....Loco, I don't think you are giving above enough consideration to above and the fact that CC is leading the league in turnovers.....but agree to disagree....

If you have ever played the game against bigger guys you know above to be very, very true.....Loco, I don't think you are giving above enough consideration to above and the fact that CC is leading the league in turnovers.....but agree to disagree....
If CC and her teammates can get on the same page, her turnovers would be cut by at least half. Most of the turnovers are due to teammates not being ready to catch the ball. That will get better with time.

If CC and her teammates can get on the same page, her turnovers would be cut by at least half. Most of the turnovers are due to teammates not being ready to catch the ball. That will get better with time.

Most? I don't think so.....I think she will improve, but the turnovers are her problem and I'm betting she is very aware of it....

So, it's not a team game? :shrug:

Like, when WRs would drop Brees passes. His problem right?

Dave, the notion that CC's turnovers are mostly her teammates fault is ridiculous, I agree she needs a better team around her and will likely get it one day, but she needs to improve as well.....

It is a team game, and nearly 6 turnovers a game is hurting her team.....this notion that she is perfect and the fault is all her teammates is just....silly....

Dave, the notion that CC's turnovers are mostly her teammates fault is ridiculous,
I didn't say mostly her team's fault, i said probably half of her trunovers are from passes to her teammates, and a lot of that were from her teammates not being ready to catch the pass. Some of that is her, and some is her teammates. If they're not on the same page, you'll see a lot of turnovers. Thats just basketball.
I agree she needs a better team around her and will likely get it one day, but she needs to improve as well.....
Certainly, both need to happen if they're going to have success. Time will tell.
It is a team game, and nearly 6 turnovers a game is hurting her team.....this notion that she is perfect and the fault is all her teammates is just....silly....
Where did anyone here say she's perfect or that it's all her teammates' fault? No one is saying that.

Scoring in the paint is physical and I’m not trying to downplay how hard it is to play down low. However, if you look at the league leaders in fg% (for men & women), those lists are always dominated by forwards & centers who take the types of shots Angel Reese does.

It is a physically tough shot, but statistically, it is a very high % shot.

I compared Angel Reese to other starting front court players in the WNBA, and more specifically, starting front court players who attempt most of their shots within 5 feet or the rim.

Even setting aside the argument of how difficult her shots may or may not be, relative to other WNBA players at her position, who primarily attempt those same types of shots, Angel Reese ranks pretty low.

I addressed Caitlyn Clark turning over the ball too much in a previous post and why I would still vote for her as rookie of the year. I completely understand if people see the turnover thing differently than I do. It’s just a difference of opinion.

I can’t take this sport more seriously than I currently am due to the fact that their games start at the weirdest hours.

Why do so many of their games start at noon during weekdays? Are they targeting the stay at home mom/dad market?
Some are pretty marquee matchups too. It is weird.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom