NFL/NBA now have a Donald Sterling problem with Gayle Benson (1 Viewer)

I don't get where Gayle slandered him.

somehow along the way, the words "black" and "African american" have become racial slurs.

You can still call an asian an asian, or a hispanic a hispanic, and without question you can certainly call a white person white..

But apparently calling a black person black is now a form of racism.

somehow along the way, the words "black" and "African american" have become racial slurs.

You can still call an asian an asian, or a hispanic a hispanic, and without question you can certainly call a white person white..

"The Asian guy by the stairs with the blue shirt on."

"That ******* Asian in the blue shirt."

Do you see the difference? Context matters.

"The Asian guy by the stairs with the blue shirt on."

"That ******* Asian in the blue shirt."

Do you see the difference? Context matters.

I think Titus has a great joke about where you put the Expletive matters in being racist or not.

******* Asian vs Asian Mother ****er

I agree. People may not know it but I have black friends and co-workers that get offended if you call them "African American" because they said they are not from Africa. The are "black". So how does one determine what is acceptable or offensive.

There is this thing called context. There are not-so-subtle implications afoot when your employer adds "black" to her accusatory statement. Unfortunately, there isn't a handydandy list of words you can refer to that are either ALWAYS offensive or NEVER offensive. Being "politically correct" means you have to use judgement and sensitivity, and make the effort try to perceive how your words and actions might resonate and be interpreted from a minority's perspective. Nowadays people so often seem to think of this as too much to ask, but when my parents taught us to do that it was just called "good manners."

I agree. People may not know it but I have black friends and co-workers that get offended if you call them "African American" because they said they are not from Africa. The are "black". So how does one determine what is acceptable or offensive.

Yea I never understood this or why people think it's a better term. What do you call black people in other countries? African Canadian? African Brazilian? African British? African Icelandic? It's dumb, honestly. Being African or American has nothing to do with the color of your skin. You can be American and be black, white, or whatever. It's two different determining factors that shouldn't be crossed up.

I know enough people who would rather be called Jamaican, Haitian, or are Aboriginal. So, I just use Black when it fits.

If someone wants to get upset with that and give me a hard time that I should call them an "African American" I'll just simply state that not every wants to be addressed that way, and it's not always appropriate to use. I don't know exactly where you came from.

There is an engrained flaw within the pc concept.

No one knows what will offend anyone. It's a moving target.
Thug used to be a general term to describe a person with bad character but some take it as racist.

Nonetheless, it comes down to intent. if gayle said what is being alleged then her intent was bad.

There is this thing called context. There are not-so-subtle implications afoot when your employer adds "black" to her accusatory statement. Unfortunately, there isn't a handydandy list of words you can refer to that are either ALWAYS offensive or NEVER offensive. Being "politically correct" means you have to use judgement and sensitivity, and make the effort try to perceive how your words and actions might resonate and be interpreted from a minority's perspective. Nowadays people so often seem to think of this as too much to ask, but when my parents taught us to do that it was just called "good manners."

this highlights my point perfectly.

We only need to be concerned about the minority's perspective it seems. Are the majority unable to be insulted? I agree we need to courteous to all walks of life, but it is only actually news worthy in this country depending on who the offended demographic represents.

P.S. Most have forgotten that this is currently a non-verified rumor, and nothing more. From a man, who has just been fired, and has already sued this year for unpaid OT, which I believe was not proven. Now this accusation appears - and the immediate public response is what?

Everyone is pushing for equality so hard, but what is their definition of it? I pay 40%, others pay 0% or 10%. That doesn't sound equal to me. I'm sure that sentence will rile up a few, and I'll hear all of the justifications as to why it is this way, of which, none will directly pertain to me. Yet, Ill just keep losing 40% while others somehow make more then they put in, and the entire time Ill have to listen to cries for equality.

There is a lot of inequality in this world, and every demographic gets its share of the unfair stick. I could give numerous examples, as can EVERYONE in this world. This place is not fair. No one said it was. My wife has repeatedly been called "white cheeks" or "white face" by different 4th and 5th grade students over her career. Does anyone care? No, they do not. If the races were reversed, we probably could have made national news. Is that fair? No, but nobody cares. This is the opposite of equality. I am the majority race. Everyone just assumes my life is so privileged that it is unimportant when I experience inequality.

Some people have much tougher paths, others are luckier. But everyone still has to live their life. Cam Newton's son is named Chosen. Do you think he will have an entitlement issue?? LOL He seems to be starting his life from a very privileged position. It would appear that he has an easier path in life then most I would wager, but is he guarantee'd success? No, young chosen has to live his life. He will either succeed or fail in this world, based on the CHOICES and ACTIONS he makes, not his socioeconomic status or skin color.

My point, everyone is so worried about what box you come from. The actions of some from one box are tolerated while the exact same actions from others in a different box are abhorrent. Why is this? When something bad happens, people care less about what happened, then about WHO DID IT. Again, why is this?

Need more do'ers in this world, most are just complainers. You can spend your life looking for, finding, and complaining about inequality. Or you can go make the best of your opportunities, and if you don't have a lot of opportunities right now, work your tail off and create your own.

this highlights my point perfectly.

We only need to be concerned about the minority's perspective it seems. Are the majority unable to be insulted? I agree we need to courteous to all walks of life, but it is only actually news worthy in this country depending on who the offended demographic represents.

P.S. Most have forgotten that this is currently a non-verified rumor, and nothing more. From a man, who has just been fired, and has already sued this year for unpaid OT, which I believe was not proven. Now this accusation appears - and the immediate public response is what?

Everyone is pushing for equality so hard, but what is their definition of it? I pay 40%, others pay 0% or 10%. That doesn't sound equal to me. I'm sure that sentence will rile up a few, and I'll hear all of the justifications as to why it is this way, of which, none will directly pertain to me. Yet, Ill just keep losing 40% while others somehow make more then they put in, and the entire time Ill have to listen to cries for equality.

There is a lot of inequality in this world, and every demographic gets its share of the unfair stick. I could give numerous examples, as can EVERYONE in this world. This place is not fair. No one said it was. My wife has repeatedly been called "white cheeks" or "white face" by different 4th and 5th grade students over her career. Does anyone care? No, they do not. If the races were reversed, we probably could have made national news. Is that fair? No, but nobody cares. This is the opposite of equality. I am the majority race. Everyone just assumes my life is so privileged that it is unimportant when I experience inequality.

Some people have much tougher paths, others are luckier. But everyone still has to live their life. Cam Newton's son is named Chosen. Do you think he will have an entitlement issue?? LOL He seems to be starting his life from a very privileged position. It would appear that he has an easier path in life then most I would wager, but is he guarantee'd success? No, young chosen has to live his life. He will either succeed or fail in this world, based on the CHOICES and ACTIONS he makes, not his socioeconomic status or skin color.

My point, everyone is so worried about what box you come from. The actions of some from one box are tolerated while the exact same actions from others in a different box are abhorrent. Why is this? When something bad happens, people care less about what happened, then about WHO DID IT. Again, why is this?

Need more do'ers in this world, most are just complainers. You can spend your life looking for, finding, and complaining about inequality. Or you can go make the best of your opportunities, and if you don't have a lot of opportunities right now, work your tail off and create your own.

Nice rant. Let me counter with this:

A couple of weeks ago, I met someone who just turned 75 years old. So the conversation turned to stuff this person had seen or lived through during a life time. And while it started with WWII, Korea, and the like, at one point it turn to the fact that this person could not sit at the front of the bus because he was black; in his lifetime, he could not drink in some water fountains because he was black, or go into some public restrooms because he was black, or eat at certain restaurants because he was black.

And even after all of the acts were enacted, and laws passed, still, many kept on reminding him he was black, but not merely because of the color of his skin, but as a reminder of black's lower status as human beings in the past. And some still do to this day, as in the alleged case of Gayle Benson.

That is why "black SOB" or wearing blackface (and if you knew the history behind blackface you wouldn't even bring it up, I hope) are not the same as "white SOB" or wearing whiteface. Very different meaning, very different context.

So telling someone you hate them or once in 25 years using a correct adjective of black when making a statement about them is racism? This is a money grab by this guy, his own biased version of events we're hearing doesn't even seem to come close to the legal standard necessary to win a case like this, and we haven't even heard the other side. A lot of overreaction in this thread.

So my post is asking for equality for all walks of life, and the first response basically states

"not all racial slurs are created equal"

This is pretty much my exact point.

PS. You misread about whiteface, those were insults lobbied at my wife, (derogatory racial slurs towards her, she is not painting her face white.)

We don't need a history lesson. We need to move forward. A racial slur should be a racial slur, it is being used by one person to insult another. There should be no difference but there clearly is... and that is my entire point.

Or you can go make the best of your opportunities, and if you don't have a lot of opportunities right now, work your tail off and create your own .

And then lose everything you worked for because of a racist boss.

Not saying that's what happened here, but would it surprise me? Not in the least.

And then lose everything you worked for because of a racist boss.

Not saying that's what happened here, but would it surprise me? Not in the least.

Well, it would surprise me. The lives we live obviously play into which side we lean towards.

None of us know the truth. However, there seems to be a clear agenda and reason behind the accusations.

My thoughts are simple, Gayle Benson is 67 years old. During her near 3/4 of a century of living, how many times has she been accused of this type of behavior? Never, at least to my knowledge. So it doesn't strike people as odd that the guy who just got fired, and is suing for money, all of a sudden remembers this incident from the past? It was never mentioned before? So the only time she has been accused of being a racist is by the guy that JUST GOT FIRED... has no witnesses, never mentioned it before, etc. etc......

This is not Sterling, where we have a clear history and documentation. I don't know what is true in this case at this time, either side can be right at this point. My belief is this is an ex-employee doing what ex-employees do. He already has the OT suit going, this accusation can only help that case, right?

If there was other smoke, perhaps I would say there might be a fire, but is there any other smoke?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom