NFL/NBA now have a Donald Sterling problem with Gayle Benson (1 Viewer)

So my post is asking for equality for all walks of life, and the first response basically states

"not all racial slurs are created equal"
Correct.
This is pretty much my exact point.
I thought your point was the following:
My point, everyone is so worried about what box you come from. The actions of some from one box are tolerated while the exact same actions from others in a different box are abhorrent. Why is this? When something bad happens, people care less about what happened, then about WHO DID IT. Again, why is this?

I tried to illustrate to you why that is.

PS. You misread about whiteface, those were insults lobbied at my wife, (derogatory racial slurs towards her, she is not painting her face white.)
I did not misread anything.
We don't need a history lesson. We need to move forward. A racial slur should be a racial slur, it is being used by one person to insult another. There should be no difference but there clearly is... and that is my entire point.
It is easy for those who never experienced such situations, or who are not constantly reminded of those times, to say "move forward".

W
My thoughts are simple, Gayle Benson is 67 years old. During her near 3/4 of a century of living, how many times has she been accused of this type of behavior? Never, at least to my knowledge.
She's only been relevant for about 10 years.

Well, it would surprise me. The lives we live obviously play into which side we lean towards.

None of us know the truth. However, there seems to be a clear agenda and reason behind the accusations.

My thoughts are simple, Gayle Benson is 67 years old. During her near 3/4 of a century of living, how many times has she been accused of this type of behavior? Never, at least to my knowledge. So it doesn't strike people as odd that the guy who just got fired, and is suing for money, all of a sudden remembers this incident from the past? It was never mentioned before? So the only time she has been accused of being a racist is by the guy that JUST GOT FIRED... has no witnesses, never mentioned it before, etc. etc......

This is not Sterling, where we have a clear history and documentation. I don't know what is true in this case at this time, either side can be right at this point. My belief is this is an ex-employee doing what ex-employees do. He already has the OT suit going, this accusation can only help that case, right?

If there was other smoke, perhaps I would say there might be a fire, but is there any other smoke?

In addition to that, doesn't this guy have a choice to move on from a job that isn't making him happy? If he complained about his pay, why work continue to work for a company that is clearly to him, was underpaying? It baffled my mind listening to the medias these days and the whining and complaining.

Claim racism...that's funny...claim racism....just sounds funny when you say it out loud...like its made up....that white privilege boy I tell ya....

I knew a post like this was just a matter of time...............

Correct.

I thought your point was the following:
My point, everyone is so worried about what box you come from. The actions of some from one box are tolerated while the exact same actions from others in a different box are abhorrent. Why is this? When something bad happens, people care less about what happened, then about WHO DID IT. Again, why is this?

I tried to illustrate to you why that is.

I did not misread anything.

It is easy for those who never experienced such situations, or who are not constantly reminded of those times, to say "move forward".

Just because I am white does not make me wrong. Although in many people's mind it does.

If you want to improve this world, we must move forward. If a black person said that would you believe it? Am I currently being discriminated based on the color of my skin? Are my views irrelevant because of my skin color? That sounds a bit like discrimination.

Racism happens both ways. I have been the victim many times, as have most of this country. At 9 years old, hanging with my best friend in his all black neighborhood, I was not allowed to step on the property of the one yard with a basketball court on the street. When I spent the night at my friend's house, I literally had to sit in the street while 5-10 other boys were allowed to play, I was repeatedly called names by the parents on this street, and even threatened a few times. Imagine if the races were reversed.

In high school there is a test called the PSAT. IF you do well you get a full scholarship, to basically anywhere you want. Well I got a 174 and only qualified for "national merit SEMI-finalist" and my friend, same guy as the story above, got a 152.. But because he was a minority, he received "national merit FINALIST". We used to talk about this all the time. Even as a black man he felt this was ridiculous because I obviously did better on the same test. His parents had money, his father was an attorney and his mother a doctor. He could have afforded college. I COULD NOT. I graduated with $25,000 in student loan debts, when if I wasn't a victim of inequality, I would have gotten a free ride.

Everyone has stories, and OBVIOUSLY many people in this world have gotten it way worse than I ever have. This is not a woe is me or comparison story. This is a - 2 way problem. I don't feel most grasp that. Which cultures are truly pushing tolerance at this day an age? Talk to some elementary and middle school kids, it is shocking the difference in mentality at that age. Some cultures don't even realize there are different races at that age, some have already started forming prejudices.

My point remains, hanging on to and harboring ill will from the past will not fix this problem. It just won't.

I don't think the question is whether the word "Black" is racist or if Gayle is racist. To me the question is "Why did Henry go against the Bensons?"

After all the years together, why did he go against them? They considered him family yet he went against them.

As I see it, there is something about Gayle that he doesn't like.

Just because I am white does not make me wrong. Although in many people's mind it does.

If you want to improve this world, we must move forward. If a black person said that would you believe it? Am I currently being discriminated based on the color of my skin? Are my views irrelevant because of my skin color? That sounds a bit like discrimination.
Please...
My point remains, hanging on to and harboring ill will from the past will not fix this problem. It just won't.
And my counterpoint remains: It is easy for those who never experienced such situations, or who are not constantly reminded of those times, to say "move forward".

Maybe if we stop calling people " that black SOB" and we go with the more generic "that SOB", maybe then we can move forward. But as long as we use race and color to remind people of the very resent past and their subjugation, chances are we are not.

I think it's fine to use black as a descriptor when needed. Adding the word black when it's not needed, especially when speaking with vitriol, is insensitive.
"Me and Bob are going to lunch." "Which Bob?" "The black guy." Acceptable IMO.
Bob walks by and I tell my coworker "I hate that black SOB" Insensitive.

Someone in Gayle's position should know better.

I think it's fine to use black as a descriptor when needed. Adding the word black when it's not needed, especially when speaking with vitriol, is insensitive.
:Me and Bob are going to lunch." "Which Bob?" "The black guy." Acceptable IMO.
Bob walks by and I tell my coworker "I hate that black SOB" Insensitive.

Someone in Gayle's position should know better.

Good example IMO.

I don't think the question is whether the word "Black" is racist or if Gayle is racist. To me the question is "Why did GAYLE go against the HENRY?"

After all the years together, why did Gayle go against him? They considered him family yet she went against him.

As I see it, there is something about him that Gayle doesn't like.

In addition to an unwillingness to consider the above flip flop of perspective, it is also lame the way people so often ask, when someone has been mistreated by an employer or supervisor, "If it's so bad, why didn't you quit?"
You've got a great job that pays well, your whole life has been set up around it, your retirement plan, health coverage, you've invested years of effort and dedication. It's hard to walk away from that, especially if your family might suffer in dealing with the changes that follow. It's often an act of selflessness to try to endure and hope that things get better if you just wait it out. File this right next to, "If her husband was beating her so bad, why didn't she leave him?"

Please...

And my counterpoint remains: It is easy for those who never experienced such situations, or who are not constantly reminded of those times, to say "move forward".

Maybe if we stop calling people " that black SOB" and we go with the more generic "that SOB", maybe then we can move forward. But as long as we use race and color to remind people of the very resent past and their subjugation, chances are we are not.

You seem to be missing the entire "alleged" part. Right now we have a fired employee making claims against his old employer --- WITH ZERO PROOF.

How about this for some perspective.

1 NBA owner said to his BLACK ex-girlfiend something along the lines of "I don't like seeing you with black guys, do not bring black guys to my stadium"

1 NBA owner has come out and said " I have hated white people for most of my life."

Which is worse??????? One was unconstitutionally forced to sell his team, one has never heard a single peep about his statement. (is freedom of speech still in the bill of rights? guess it depends on your race these days)

It does not matter what happened in the past. Two wrongs don't make a right. That has been written in a book for over 3000 years, yet that simple concept is just too much to grasp for the average human. Because racism happened in the past, that justifies prejudices today? And you feel that this is somehow going to help this country?

Let's really get down to the nitty gritty here. We always here about racism and it is always assumed to be from a white person. But that is just not the case. The black culture is every bit as racist, if not more, than other cultures. Yet it is justifiable based on the past? Many people will obviously disagree with me and hey --- we are talking generalizations here so obviously not everyone fits --- but if we are truly being honest with ourselves?

Again, this is not a white person ONLY problem. This is the entire country. What we are doing is clearly not working. Maybe it is time for people to start taking ownership of their OWN ACTIONS AND CHOICES AND PREJUDICES. If you keep justifying them how will they ever go away?

Please note. I am not taking up for Sterling or his statements. I am simply pointing out a clear inequality based on people in similar power, saying similar things.

You seem to be missing the entire "alleged" part. Right now we have a fired employee making claims against his old employer --- WITH ZERO PROOF.

How about this for some perspective.

1 NBA owner said to his BLACK ex-girlfiend something along the lines of "I don't like seeing you with black guys, do not bring black guys to my stadium"

1 NBA owner has come out and said " I have hated white people for most of my life."

Which is worse??????? One was unconstitutionally forced to sell his team, one has never heard a single peep about his statement. (is freedom of speech still in the bill of rights? guess it depends on your race these days)

It does not matter what happened in the past. Two wrongs don't make a right. That has been written in a book for over 3000 years, yet that simple concept is just too much to grasp for the average human. Because racism happened in the past, that justifies prejudices today? And you feel that this is somehow going to help this country?

Let's really get down to the nitty gritty here. We always here about racism and it is always assumed to be from a white person. But that is just not the case. The black culture is every bit as racist, if not more, than other cultures. Yet it is justifiable based on the past? Many people will obviously disagree with me and hey --- we are talking generalizations here so obviously not everyone fits --- but if we are truly being honest with ourselves?

Again, this is not a white person ONLY problem. This is the entire country. What we are doing is clearly not working. Maybe it is time for people to start taking ownership of their OWN ACTIONS AND CHOICES AND PREJUDICES. If you keep justifying them how will they ever go away?

Please note. I am not taking up for Sterling or his statements. I am simply pointing out a clear inequality based on people in similar power, saying similar things.
I agree with you. People will only say or fight for whatever benefits them and only them. People can't learn from the past but could never move on from the past.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom