PSA - get your colonoscopy (3 Viewers)

The huge difference with Cologuard is it detects cancer, meaning you already have it. The scope finds and removes polyps which are the fuel for future cancer growth, while examining each polyp for cancer cells. With the high False/Positive rate of the "poop n ship' method you'll eventually end up getting the scope anyway. I've had about 5 scopes and it's the easiest peace of mind.

The huge difference with Cologuard is it detects cancer, meaning you already have it. The scope finds and removes polyps which are the fuel for future cancer growth, while examining each polyp for cancer cells. With the high False/Positive rate of the "poop n ship' method you'll eventually end up getting the scope anyway. I've had about 5 scopes and it's the easiest peace of mind.
This exactly. The cologuard is good, but by the time it’s positive, you have cancer. A colonoscopy gets rid of the polyps, and the risks that go along with them. My mom had colon cancer, so here I am making sure mine are done on time. It’s actually a huge non issue honestly. I had 2 very small polyps removed, no big deal, see ya in 5 years.

The good thing about my moms was that hers was slow growing or they just caught it on her routine screening. She needed to have a small section of her intestine removed and all was good. Compare that to my coworker who put off symptoms until the growth guy so large it stopped up her system. She’s had 4 years with multiple surgeries and is on chemo essentially for the rest of her life. She’s lost uterus and ovaries, a significant amount of intestines, half her liver, part of a lung, part of her esophagus and I believe a kidney. Yeah guys. Just get it done

Been getting one every 5 years since I was 30. So far, 2 polyps removed. Due next year.
Wait, is the recommendation 5 years now? I thought it was 10. I sent a message to my doc before seeing this, but I'm really late if they changed the recommended period.

5 years if polyp discovered/removed, 10 if it comes back clean.
Gotcha. I'm about 2 years past my 10-year period, which was delayed by the pandemic and other stuff.

Wait, is the recommendation 5 years now? I thought it was 10. I sent a message to my doc before seeing this, but I'm really late if they changed the recommended period.
My Dr wants me to get it every three years. The reasons are he removed a polyp on the first one and I have a family
history of cancer.

Bottom line. Talk to your DR. and get it done please.

I actually thought it was 40, not 45, and was fully expecting it at my physical next year. I may see if insurance will still allow it - why wait, right?

My Dr wants me to get it every three years. The reasons are he removed a polyp on the first one and I have a family
history of cancer.

Bottom line. Talk to your DR. and get it done please.
Yeah, you definitely need to be active working with your doctor to find the schedule that's right for you.

I've got the history in my family so I got my first earlier than normal; polyps the first and second time got me on a 3 year schedule; then clear for the next two put me back at a 5 year schedule.

And, as others have said, you gotta monitor your poop and make sure you see the doctor regardless of schedule if anything trends abnormal there.

I put mine off until last year at age 50. The doc found and removed two polyps. My Dad ended up putting his off until his 70s - ended up having to have a section of his colon removed.

Good vid below, which prompted this post.

Just go get it done. The prep of the day leading up to it is not fun, but the procedure itself is the easiest thing ever. Dentist trips are harder.

Yes, get your colonoscopies. All your problems will be behind you and everything comes out well in the end.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom