Revisiting Joe Burrow draft (1 Viewer)

They’re both incredible.

Oh for sure. My point was that Burrow took no thought. You don't think about trading it for 2 seconds less you waste your time. The Chase pick took some deliberation. They knew That pick would cause some fans' heads to explode and they still did the right thing. That was a truly brilliant pick in the face of the adversity put up by drafting conventional wisdom. They could have taken a guard, fans and pundits wouldn't have batted an eye. They made the right pick and are reaping the rewards. Most teams wouldn't have made the smart pick, they would have made the easy pick. Burrow was the best pick, the easiest pick, and the hometown pick. That never happens, truly a no brainer. Anyone thinking that pickhad a chance at getting traded was detached from reality.

I tell people that THIS was the pick that turned that franchise around. I know this board loves Burrow but the Chase pick changed that offense.
I remember in the lead up to the Chase pick that every expert was on some "they need to draft a lineman to protect Burrow" and they took Chase and immediately changed their fortunes. Taking a lineman is what we would've done.

Nevermind the freaking fact that a single lineman doesn't make a formidable line. You'll just have a star tackle and a bunch of scrubs. Take....the....playmaker....every damn time.

Exactly. You think Burrow is an LSU hero, he's from Ohio. Cincinnati was in the perfect situation. No way they were giving up that pick. It was the easiest pick they ever had to make in the history of the franchise. It was a no brainer. Literally no thought necessary. Taking Chase the following the year the smartest pick they ever made. Now that pick took sheer genius to make. 9 out of 10 franchises are passing on an elite WR for a good guard.

I got crucified when I told people here the Bengals were taking Chase all the way regardless of who else was on the board. People really didn't grasp the value of a game breaking talent at Wide Receiver back then.

I got crucified when I told people here the Bengals were taking Chase all the way regardless of who else was on the board. People really didn't grasp the value of a game breaking talent at Wide Receiver back then.
They still dont...we still endure "buhicaintblock" complaints when talking about wide recievers

It's an interesting thought.

In hindsight, yes. It would have been the start of a rebuild and mostly likely this would be the first off-season where we would be debt free from the move, allowing us to build around him in the draft.

Joe Burrow is a bonafide star with moxie to spare. The Bengals, threadbare for so long are now loaded for the long haul.

They’re both incredible.
But the comment was more on the impact that Chase had on that offense. I mean, Joe Burrow did get injured his rookie season but let's not act like the Bengals didn't only win 2 games up until them.
I remember in the lead up to the Chase pick that every expert was on some "they need to draft a lineman to protect Burrow" and they took Chase and immediately changed their fortunes. Taking a lineman is what we would've done
So many people miss that. The Bengals made a pick that would truly benefit their QB and the offense that they were trying to put in place. Gotta ask yourself what changed on that offense from 2020 that won 2 games with Burrow starting to the Bengals going to the Super Bowl. For those that didn't know, the Bengals had like 19 total passing TDs in 2020. Chase had 13 in 2021 alone..lol. It's just like the Stefon Diggs trade to Buffalo. People want to say Allen took a huge leap without acknowledging that they changed the offense for Diggs. The Bills set up Josh Allen for success.

One day, people around here might realize that a QB needs to be put in place to be successful..lol

So in 2020 there were two thoughts from this board. Some people wanted to do whatever it took to get Joe Burrow and some people said no he’s not worth it. but people don’t usually go and revisit draft so looking back now, if you had a chance to redo the 2020 draft would you do a Ricky Williams trade for Joe Burrow? For the record at the time, I was one that wanted to give up whatever it took to cinci to get that pick from them.
I thought for as spendthrift and loose with draft capital the Payton-Loomis regime has been, they should have done everything and anything to get Burrow. Seemed a sure thing and would have stepped right in here.

It was like 50/50 in mock drafts that they were going either Chase or Sewell. Not like that was a farfetched take. And "back then" was two years ago. You're taking your username a little too seriously.

But the comment was more on the impact that Chase had on that offense. I mean, Joe Burrow did get injured his rookie season but let's not act like the Bengals didn't only win 2 games up until them.

So many people miss that. The Bengals made a pick that would truly benefit their QB and the offense that they were trying to put in place. Gotta ask yourself what changed on that offense from 2020 that won 2 games with Burrow starting to the Bengals going to the Super Bowl. For those that didn't know, the Bengals had like 19 total passing TDs in 2020. Chase had 13 in 2021 alone..lol. It's just like the Stefon Diggs trade to Buffalo. People want to say Allen took a huge leap without acknowledging that they changed the offense for Diggs. The Bills set up Josh Allen for success.

One day, people around here might realize that a QB needs to be put in place to be successful..lol
Oh I get that. I’d always take a generational QB over a generational WR, but that’s just my opinion. Would love to have either of them.

Oh for sure. My point was that Burrow took no thought. You don't think about trading it for 2 seconds less you waste your time. The Chase pick took some deliberation. They knew That pick would cause some fans' heads to explode and they still did the right thing. That was a truly brilliant pick in the face of the adversity put up by drafting conventional wisdom. They could have taken a guard, fans and pundits wouldn't have batted an eye. They made the right pick and are reaping the rewards. Most teams wouldn't have made the smart pick, they would have made the easy pick. Burrow was the best pick, the easiest pick, and the hometown pick. That never happens, truly a no brainer. Anyone thinking that pickhad a chance at getting traded was detached from reality.
💯 agree.

Speculating here....IF (and an big if) the Bengals were even taking phone calls to possibly trade that pick, how much draft capital was everyone comfortable with?

I think the price would have been higher than all of a team's draft picks that particular year, and might have been multiple high draft picks in ensuing years.

Is the value of a franchise QB so much that a club hamstrings itself to build a team around said franchise QB? We saw for years what an average or below average defense with a QB playing at a HOF level...yes, multiple average seasons around .500.

Regardless of who is playing under center, an NFL team has to have talent and good play at other positions for the team to consistently win. A HOF QB can mask a lot of weaknesses, but only to a certain extent.

Frankly, I don't think they were even entertaining any offers, and it's likely they made the price so high that no team was willing to even consider it.
Well, the ricky williams trade DID incude all of the 99 picks plus 1st & 3rd rds for 2000.
We wouldn’t have had to build around Burrow, because it was already built around a HOF QB in Brees.

Oh I get that. I’d always take a generational QB over a generational WR, but that’s just my opinion. Would love to have either of them.
My thing is a QB can have generational talent but go to a location that doesn't nurture that. Talent must be developed and also a QB must be put in place to succeed and sometimes it feels like we, as fans, miss that. How many QBs have we seen was said to have generational talent get drafted to garbage organizations where they are called bust because the franchise didn't put them in position to be a "franchise QB?" I don't want a "generational" QB just for coaching to taint it.

I agree. You have to support and build around a QB if you really want them to be a franchise QB. You cannot make them conform to an offensive vision built for a past QB.

And you have to spend at least one or two high draft picks to acquire young playmakers for a young franchise QB. It is not fair to expect even the best young franchise QB to be able to elevate the play of all the other skill players.

In that context, Cincy’s decision to pair a a young ascending QB like Burrow with an elite rookie WR, was perfect.

Overall, I think you still have to use major draft capital to maintain a good OL, but when you have a franchise QB you also have to draft or otherwise acquire real playmakers (for cheap) that can give you quick scores (like Chase).

This all just reinforces the point that DA’s vision of solid defense and conservative, complimentary offense being enough to win 11 games a year by a 17-14 margin is not realistic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom