Revisiting Joe Burrow draft (1 Viewer)

Lots of stuff gets speculated about on the radio.

There’s no credible evidence there was ever a deal there to be made.

It’s been reported the Dolphins offerred three 1st round picks, including the 5th overall, and the Bengals had no interest. The Saints had absolutely no shot at trading for Burrow.

This right here should end this thread. A lot of "Madden" thinkers on this thread. The other team has to WANT to trade for what you are giving up. We could have offered the entire 2020, 2021 and 2022 drafts to them and they would have said no thanks.

At the time there were a few of the usual suspects in the media that tried to fabricate a narrative of "what if he pulls an Eli Manning and refuses to go to the Bengals". There was never any credible evidence that that was a thing but it let people's imaginations run wild.

It was impossible to trade Cinci out of that spot, but we could have realistically traded up to number 4 and drafted Justin Herbert.

If we only had a time machine.

This is such a ridiculous statement. The biggest issue with this ridiculous idea of trading your entire draft for one play is CINCINNATI WOULD HAVE TO AGREE.

Which under no circumstance was that deal available. You either got the first pick and could select Burrow or not.

This idea of "record at the time, I was one that wanted to give up whatever it took to cinci to get that pick from them." is hilarious.
Seriously...lot of armchair GM's in this thread. By the way...I was adamant, at the time, that we should have traded back into the 6th round to draft Tom Brady before NE could.

Seriously...lot of armchair GM's in this thread. By the way...I was adamant, at the time, that we should have traded back into the 6th round to draft Tom Brady before NE could.

Yeah, I kind of love the whole "I was on record for this guy or that guy during that draft. I'm obviously a football scouting savant!"

If I cared enough, I'd love to search these captain hindsight GM's post histories for all the things they got horribly wrong.

Yeah, I kind of love the whole "I was on record for this guy or that guy during that draft. I'm obviously a football scouting savant!"

If I cared enough, I'd love to search these captain hindsight GM's post histories for all the things they got horribly wrong.
It is funny when people point out that they were on record for some super star player. It's funny because first of all it might not even be true. I mean, who is going to take the time to make sure the person was in fact on record for Joe Burrow? And second of all, even if you are on record for a player, what does that mean? Does it mean that you posted on a message board that you thought the consensus #1 QB in the draft was a good prospect? Lol okay. Nailed it! So you went on record for a QB who literally just had the best season in CFB history, but who else did you go on record for? I never hear anyone pointing out the fact that they went on record for Josh Rosen or Baker Mayfield. A lot of folks around here went on record for Baker but nobody owns that one.

As for this "Hindsight is 50/50" Joe Burrow make believe trade, of course we should've traded for him! Just like we should've traded up for Mahomes, Herbert, Josh Allen, etc. Once a QB becomes elite then obviously the Saints should've moved heaven and earth to bring him in. But outside of one thread on the SSF created by a person in the throws of madness, Joe Burrow was never going to be traded. Hard to fault the the Saints for not pulling the trigger on a trade that never existed.

A bit of SSF trivia now. Who can remember the initial package that the Saints offered the Bengals for Joe Burrow according to Swimmer?

It is funny when people point out that they were on record for some super star player. It's funny because first of all it might not even be true. I mean, who is going to take the time to make sure the person was in fact on record for Joe Burrow? And second of all, even if you are on record for a player, what does that mean? Does it mean that you posted on a message board that you thought the consensus #1 QB in the draft was a good prospect? Lol okay. Nailed it! So you went on record for a QB who literally just had the best season in CFB history, but who else did you go on record for? I never hear anyone pointing out the fact that they went on record for Josh Rosen or Baker Mayfield. A lot of folks around here went on record for Baker but nobody owns that one.

As for this "Hindsight is 50/50" Joe Burrow make believe trade, of course we should've traded for him! Just like we should've traded up for Mahomes, Herbert, Josh Allen, etc. Once a QB becomes elite then obviously the Saints should've moved heaven and earth to bring him in. But outside of one thread on the SSF created by a person in the throws of madness, Joe Burrow was never going to be traded. Hard to fault the the Saints for not pulling the trigger on a trade that never existed.

A bit of SSF trivia now. Who can remember the initial package that the Saints offered the Bengals for Joe Burrow according to Swimmer?
exactly

where's the guy who was on record pre draft saying "I think Brock Purdy is going to be a good QB in the NFL"?

Maybe we should trade all our draft picks for prime Joe Montana. Oh. That’s also an impossible and dumb scenario that was never possible? Ok.

Everyone in this thread that said we should have traded it all for Burrow, should also be on board with us diving down in the rankings to position us for a run at Arch Manning.

Clear the cap space and leave Dennis Allen in charge. Then in a few years tank to the max.

Man if only we could draft in the Hindsight Draft. We'd be a dynasty.

I was adamant about a Williams like trade. We would be a top contender and Payton would still be coaching here had we made that move
Why would Cincinnati trade the number 1 overall pick when they needed a franchise QB? In his book, Jimmy Johnson wrote that Archie Manning approached him about trading with the Colts in order to draft Peyton. Johnson said he offered the Colts his entire draft and they declined.

Like Indianapolis, Cincinnati wasn't trading the pick, end of discussion.

I tell people that THIS was the pick that turned that franchise around. I know this board loves Burrow but the Chase pick changed that offense.

No. The pick that changed the franchise was Burrow. Do you think the Cincinnati offense would be what it is with Dalton throwing to Chase?

No. The pick that changed the franchise was Burrow. Do you think the Cincinnati offense would be what it is with Dalton throwing to Chase?

Not what he said. Burrow changed the franchise. The Chase pick changed the offense. Both your statement and his statement are accurate. That offense isn't as potent as it is now if they take an offensive lineman. Chase indeed changed their offense. He demands a lot of attention from defenses and that does more for their offense than any pick they would have made in that draft.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom