The Chess Thread (1 Viewer)

Still learning to use the analysis feature. I love the way it lets you try to redo moves and will show you Best. But is there a way to figure out why a move is best?

From most recent game with @guidomerkinsrules

The following set of moves were played.

ACB7593E-8C9E-4AEF-BBCB-EA4B02BA2061.png56F6CC1D-8707-4CAB-9BC1-7708404FDD0E.png

So the AI says the best move instead of moving my rook was

F9838A44-9D6F-4EAE-95BB-1A4034D49DB5.png

Attachments

• 5184036C-D279-4A63-8416-F44A0000E543.png
    5184036C-D279-4A63-8416-F44A0000E543.png
    84.4 KB · Views: 1
i can’t do this on my phone apparently. But how is bishop sacrifice the best move. I will do that sometimes simply to get the King to move but it only buys my time. I’m still losing something where that Queen is and I figured sacrificing the A file pawn is the lessor of evils. I love the analysis, I’m just still not sure I know everything about it.

i can’t do this on my phone apparently. But how is bishop sacrifice the best move. I will do that sometimes simply to get the King to move but it only buys my time. I’m still losing something where that Queen is and I figured sacrificing the A file pawn is the lessor of evils. I love the analysis, I’m just still not sure I know everything about it.
nah, best move is to chill until your opponent stupidly gives you his queen
AGAIN

Still learning to use the analysis feature. I love the way it lets you try to redo moves and will show you Best. But is there a way to figure out why a move is best?

From most recent game with @guidomerkinsrules

The following set of moves were played.

ACB7593E-8C9E-4AEF-BBCB-EA4B02BA2061.png56F6CC1D-8707-4CAB-9BC1-7708404FDD0E.png

So the AI says the best move instead of moving my rook was

F9838A44-9D6F-4EAE-95BB-1A4034D49DB5.png
This looks very similar to the "poison pawn" variation that black can fall into when white is playing the London (just with the positions reversed). So I'll go out on a limb and say it's the same concept. While going up a pawn after capturing with the queen, it allows too much counterplay and development.

When sacrificing the bishop in that situation, there are a couple things to look for. Of course it's great to take away castling privileges but that on its own is not always a great thing. You need to have some development and be in a position to attack, either threating mate or winning back material. In this situation, white has not developed any pieces other than his queen. And with counterplay, he'll get stuck moving that queen around even more just to keep it safe, which allows a lot of development for black.

To get the best use of the analyzer, play it forward 10+ moves. When I've had the time, I've spent an hour or two analyzing the first 15-20 moves in games I've played and looking at different variations from common openings. It's really a great tool to have for new chess players these days.

When sacrificing the bishop in that situation, there are a couple things to look for. Of course it's great to take away castling privileges but that on its own is not always a great thing. You need to have some development and be in a position to attack, either threating mate or winning back material. In this situation, white has not developed any pieces other than his queen. And with counterplay, he'll get stuck moving that queen around even more just to keep it safe, which allows a lot of development for black.
agreed on the development angle. I am continuing to play around with it. I was just wondering if I was totally missing a way to go deeper on a particular move.

Last edited:
This looks very similar to the "poison pawn" variation that black can fall into when white is playing the London (just with the positions reversed). So I'll go out on a limb and say it's the same concept. While going up a pawn after capturing with the queen, it allows too much counterplay and development.

To get the best use of the analyzer, play it forward 10+ moves. When I've had the time, I've spent an hour or two analyzing the first 15-20 moves in games I've played and looking at different variations from common openings. It's really a great tool to have for new chess players these days.
I did some reading on the poison pawn this morning. That’s good stuff!

Good game Zack. Those two mistakes were hard to overcome but your queen had me dancing for a bit.

Thanks for the game Chuck! I’ve been doing the analysis. Move set number 16, I pushed pawn to get you to take with bishop. It called it a mistake but the whole idea was to get your bishop on another diagonal so I could move in to help my Queen. It may have been a mistake just based on the fact that I didn’t have enough cavalry to do any good. But I was very curious to see if the AI would recognize deflection/attraction. Im not sure it can. I think analysis is still a great tool but I am very curious about what just isn’t recognized.

Good game Zack. Those two mistakes were hard to overcome but your queen had me dancing for a bit.
Yea I knew I wouldn’t be able to help it out enough. I could have grabbed a rook but it just would have effectively taken my Queen out of play. It was fun. It’s a process for me. I just love learning and a little humility never hurt anyone.

Thanks for the game Chuck! I’ve been doing the analysis. Move set number 16, I pushed pawn to get you to take with bishop. It called it a mistake but the whole idea was to get your bishop on another diagonal so I could move in to help my Queen. It may have been a mistake just based on the fact that I didn’t have enough cavalry to do any good. But I was very curious to see if the AI would recognize deflection/attraction. Im not sure it can. I think analysis is still a great tool but I am very curious about what just isn’t recognized.

Yeah the analysis isn’t always perfect situationally.

Dave you are a kamikaze. I predict you will get me sooner rather than latter.
Haha. Yeah, that was a fun game. I'm just just not seeing much beyond a move or 2 tho. I guess that will come with more experience. You did well protecting your queen. Just couldn't get her cornered.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom